Sports Authority Employee Reviews in Chicago, IL

Found 36 reviews matching the search See all 2,280 reviews
Great Place to work at
Cash Lead Sr/Hardlines Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2019
sports authority was an amazing company to work for. You made great friends, was fast paced, and definitely learned to be an independent worker. TO BAD IT'S LIQUIDATED.
Learning experiences
Cash Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 7, 2018
Sports authority was a great place that everyone came to they taught me a lot about where I am today. They gave me many open opportunities that I will forever be grateful for.
Fine Company
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2018
First job I had from college, was able to take part in a large program where I felt valued and was able to have an immediate impact. Once the program successfully concluded, I moved on
It was a good experience I had with my colleagues.
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 17, 2018
My day was in terms of analyzing shipments and receiving inventory. I just used a computer and stamps. I even had my own office. It was good for an elder.
Fun Place to Work!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 16, 2018
Hard working team that cares about their job, their customers and performance. Baseball was one of the busiest and most fun part of the job. Employee discount was fantastic since everything was at cost + 15%.
Review
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 11, 2018
I loved working here. I loved working with the employees and always helping each other. Great staff. I would still be working here if they did not close down.
It was the Life for Some
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 3, 2018
I didn't care for the good ol boys club that I became a part of unknowingly. The men in management were very tight knit and always apart of their own inside joke.
Decent work environment
Full Time Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 3, 2017
Coworkers were friendly. The work was tiring but hours were good. Management was understanding and helpful. Managers often bought lunch for entire crew.
Very easy.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2017
This job was easy and boring I didn't mind being here. I like helping people find what they needed and learning new things about different sports I like this job.
Pros
Discounts
Great atmosphere & I love to shop here.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 6, 2017
Every athlete loves to have the best gear and look good at all times no matter if your on the field or walking up the street. Sports Authority gives variety of options, and every customer I've encountered has always got a laugh out of me.
I worked for great people
Warehouse Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 5, 2017
I personally worked for great people. I think the culture of the company changed too late. By the time they changed they could no longer pay for a full staff.
Fun environment and great work place
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 13, 2016
My day usually consisted of cashing people out and making sure they had a good visit and being able to help customers in any way I can. my co workers were fun the management was great and I learned that working as a team is very beneficial.
Pros
great discount
Cons
long work hours
Great place to work, friendly co workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2016
The job was pretty easy & the people I worked with were very friendly, no drama. The hours were tiring but worth it. Also helping customers felt great.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Seasonal job
Productive and a friendly environment.
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 10, 2016
I really love working for Sports Authority. Mostly everyday I had fun with customers and co-workers daily. I learned alot. Like to to stock & deal with merchandise.
daily work
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 30, 2016
I did OSHA, hire, fired, transfers for employees, ups and Fedex shipping as well as processed payroll, manage the money in the cash office managed employees motivated employees to sell. I've learn to handle customer service being able to train 3 new store managers.
Pros
training new store managers, the discount
Cons
the store closing due to filing chapter 11 bankrupt
Poor Management
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 4, 2016
Fast paced environment. The children made coming to this job worthwhile although the management was too old fashioned for my liking. They believed in sending paper checks instead keeping up with the times and allowing employees to get the option of direct deposit.
What use to be fun, is not fun anymore.
Visual Merchandising Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 12, 2016
When I first started working at Sports Authority I was excited to be a part of the team but work after being there for a while I started to not really like coming to work. You really don't get to have any time for extra activities outside of work and they started to force their workers to ask for things that should be a privilege for customers and a must get for workers in order to keep their jobs. Even though we are there to work, I believe the place that you work at should also be a fun place to come into instead of a chore.
Working hard and having fun
Softlines Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2016
I've worked here 11 years and have learned what it's like to work as a team. How to delegate, organize, and better plan my duties of the day. I've dealt with the good and bad customers and have developed thick skin in which made me the expert with customer complaints and overall customer service skills.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
No overtime allowed even with heavy workload
Competitive environment with great products
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago Suburbs, Milwaukee SuburbsFebruary 9, 2016
Offered a challenging yet fun and rewarding environment to build a career in. I was able to grow my skills and advance my career.
Good people to work with but bad management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 15, 2015
Fun place to work but the downfall is the pay. The make your work crazy hours starting out for minimum pay. I got a chance to meet some big time sports figure so I guess that's a plus

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sports Authority. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight