Sports Authority Employee Reviews for Cashier/Sales

Found 77 reviews matching the search See all 2,293 reviews
i would work in the Team Sports section selling products
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Warrington, PAOctober 26, 2015
I enjoyed it a lot and was the top salesman of coverage plans that people buy on the products so that have a warranty. i enjoyed wokring there, my co-workers were very cool but the Bosses werent very likeable.
Pros
nice breaks
Cons
bosses were terrible
Fun workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hialeah, FLOctober 24, 2015
I consider this position a learning experience. From this, I learned to manage money very well, handle customers with care even if they are wrong and always smile.
Pros
The team of co-workers, sports talk
Cons
No benefits
Management and Environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oak Lawn, ILSeptember 27, 2015
The management was horrible. A typical work day was always chaotic and we could never get work done. Customers wasn't always satisfied by the management. Store manager belittled his/or her employees. You could always feel the tension when coming into work, a lot of tension between the store manager and other managers.
okay
Cashier/Sales Associate - part-time (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTJuly 29, 2015
I like the discounts, providing customer service and the employees i'd work with. although, there very poor communication and management. good luck receiving hours, if you don't focus and be on your game.
Pros
discounts
Cons
poor communication/management
Good first time job
Cashier/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, TXJuly 27, 2015
Some management wasn't the best for a while, associates are friendly. The hours are good, and you get to meet a lot of people. Opportunity to move up is there a lot.
was a great place to work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Santa fe nmJuly 8, 2015
I as a employer loved it here i learned alot of new things about sports and how different sports can be played, management was awesome the benefits were great and it was in the mall where i was in contact with almost every customer which i really liked. the hardest part of the job was just standing there at the register and trying to help customers because some of the other employees weren't helping anyone or no where to be found so i needed to give them great customer service and help them as much as possible
Pros
loved learning about a new sport every day
Cons
some employees weren't doing there job right
Classic Retail
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mays Landing, NJJune 5, 2015
Sports Authority as a young kid was my dream job. Upon getting hired the work life was as expected in a retail environment. The management team was just poor. There was a complete lack of help on their part and the way they would address their employees issues and concerns were very poor.
Pros
discount
Cons
Management, Hours
Okay to work for,
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winter Garden, FLJune 1, 2015
A typical day you are dealing with merchandise and making sure the store is clean. They encouraged you to approach each customer and offer them items.
Pros
Neutral.
Cons
Coworkers weren't the friendliest.
A good stepping stone
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAFebruary 21, 2015
Sports Authority was a great place to kick off my career. I learned a great deal about customer service, which I incorporate in my career.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No advancement opportunites
Kind of Difficult
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 10, 2014
High Volume, I learned to stay to myself with people who are rude, My managers where rude, my coworkers where rude and I couldn't work there very long, hardest part was coming in seeing my coworkers being rude back to the customers who was having a bad day or had something smart to say. I didn't enjoy this job at all
N/a
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTSeptember 9, 2014
Great people, great company everything was smooth it was a job that was rewarding and great diverse culture.
Pros
N/a
Productive and fun workplace with great coworkers/managers.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 2, 2014
Greeting customers, helping with their wants and needs. Providing information about our products and services. Perform tasks given. Keep sales floor clean. I learned to be more patient and gain more knowledge about our store. Our managers are amazing, they're very strict about policies but we do well enough to keep everything in a good place. My co-workers and I get along very well, we all give and show each other the same respect. The hardest part about my job is trying to give a difficult customer their every want and need when either we don't have it in stock or they're just trying to give us a hard time. The most enjoyable part about my job is that we all get along and have fun no matter what. We know what we need to do to engage our customers and keep them as happy as possible.
fun place to work at
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 2, 2014
great coworkers, will make good friends
very likeable management
can request days off
laid back, enjoyable atmosphere
certain items commission based pay
hardest part are the busy holidays
Reason for aquiring this job
Sales Associate,Cashier (Current Employee) –  San Juan, PRMay 20, 2014
I'm a part-time student and part-time employee;a typical day at work would involve major interaction with clients and on a daily basis I acquire knowledge about sports, some details that gather up and complete a basic and useful knowledge. Management in the store could improve, but my co-workers are awesome; We are always pumped and enthusiastic, which I love. The hardest part of the job would be balancing study time, social time, family time and work time, but it's definitely working out good. The most fun part about the Sports Authority job is getting to know new people and having new and different experiences every day.
Pros
Variety of products, a lot of employees, working under pressure
Cons
Big Store, reduction of weekly-worked hours
Fun environment, but poor management
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOFebruary 5, 2014
I really enjoyed working at Sports Authority because I love working with people and I love sports. However, the managers were very young and inexperienced. There were two cashiers who consistently wanted to switch shifts or called in. When they called in, I was the only cashier who would ever come in on a day off. I ended up working over 40 hours every week for about a month because so many people were calling in without punishment. The discount was awesome and the pay is good.
Pros
Discount, great pay, fun customers
Typical retail
Sales Associate / Cashier (Former Employee) –  NilesJanuary 14, 2014
Was fun working in the outdoor goods department, hunting, fishing, camping
Pros
Good training for equipment
Cons
Retail hours
Productive and fun work place
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILJanuary 3, 2014
Very Productive job and the environment is very comfortable.
terrible managment and no room for advancment
Cashier and sales (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAOctober 8, 2013
I have worked at this store for a few years and the managment is just awful. The store is run by two hostile woman and the working enviornment is the worst. If you ask for days off or have another job they will not schedule you for weeks. imagine working with immature, vendictive teenagers than multiply it by seven. The parking lot is dimly lit and homless people live in the lot. Your better off working at Big 5
Pros
25 percent discount
Cons
hostile managment, lack of hours, low pay with rare raises
Fun workplace with lots of energy.
Sales Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 21, 2013
Part time work, dealing with customers and sports equipment. Organizing product was also a big part of the job. I learned a lot about sales incentives and the means to reach our goals for the day. Co-workers at this particular job were the best i've ever had. We shared a lot of memories both on and off the clock. The hardest part of the job was when time dragged during slow business hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the support of co-workers and management.
Pros
Very clean environment and a lot of energy.
Cons
Having to work weekends and during slower business hours.
Sports field experience
Sales Associate, Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 28, 2013
My best friend got me a spot at the job and I've learned to stay focused on what I need to do and just mind my own business, I've also learned that hard work definitely pays off. I enjoyed my co- workers because there was a variety of different ages and different backgrounds. The hardest part of the job was working with ignorance but I seemed to amintain it. The most enjoyable part of the day was helping costumers shop and leaving the job knowing I helped someone else smile.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Poor management and gossipoing staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sports Authority. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight