Sports Authority Employee Reviews for Cashier

Found 86 reviews matching the search See all 2,295 reviews
A poor working environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTJuly 14, 2017
The company is now out of business, but I did initially like the stores for their wide array of sporting gear and goods. The working conditions were rather poor, though, and we didn't receive many customers. I wasn't given many tasks and was frequently bored with no work to do. They kept on a cashier who hardly ever made it into work, but was paid more per paycheck than I was. I eventually left the company after a workplace scandal only some managers were involved in ensued - it was unpleasant for all of the employees under them.
Pros
Discounts for sporting goods, ski and snowboard rental
Cons
Poor working environment, few tasks
A friendly and fun environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDJuly 4, 2017
Having to help customers with sales, returns and exchanges. Restock products, as well as do inventory. Having to make sure the front area of the store is clean at all times.
Productive friendly environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 17, 2017
Fun work place with great management. The hardest part of the job was restocking merchandise. Co-workers were very helpful and friendly and there were rarely any discrepancies about the work schedule.
Pros
People
Mediocre
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Clifton, NJJune 14, 2017
Applied as the store was closing down its location. Work was fast and required effort to maintain the work flow. Amount of workers were kept at a minimum so the workload felt heavy
Pros
Parking
Cons
Short Breaks
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDJune 4, 2017
I would come in and clock in on the computer then greet my fellow colleagues and then set up at my register. Working at Sports Authorities I learned how to engage with customers and being responsible as a cashier like making sure I give customer right amount of change or making sure the customer gives the right amount.
I loved the company. I made alot of friends for life.
Casher/Sale Specialist/ Manager (Former Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLJune 4, 2017
• Oversee store fellow employees checking out customers and making sure that each transaction was accurate.
• Responsible for stocking sales floor shelves three times a week and submitting inventory reports to management.
• Responsible for handling the return items and matching up the return items with inventory database.
Cool environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAMay 4, 2017
Customers could get stubborn and impatient at times, especially if store was busy. Management was alright, but fair. I loved working with all my co-workers.
This place is now closed due to bankruptcy.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILApril 18, 2017
This place was okay to work at, but I felt pressured into making people sign up for the free rewards program that they offered. It was a very easy job other than that and the people were very nice besides this one manager that got mad and yelled at you every time someone didn't sign up for the rewards program we offered.
Bankrupt Company
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZApril 8, 2017
Not really sure what im suppose to say about a company that has gone bankrupt

Customers and coworkers were cool

Didnt like the management

Trying to get customers to sign up for loyalty was dumb
Gret
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAMarch 29, 2017
This job wasn't the greatest but it paid the bills and got me through college. You get to work with a team and get some great deals for working there.
Very good job
Retail /Customer Service /Cashier (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 1, 2017
Worked great around my school schedule, learned how to operate registers and how to use scan guns. Management was very good and always trying to help when needed.
I feel like the job was too stressful for the pay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Northglenn, COFebruary 16, 2017
Sports Authority was a fun job at first but the pressure to sign people up for rewards cards is insane. I felt like I had a job of a sales person and I wasn't getting paid very much.
Sports authority was a fair company to work for when it was still around.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Auburn, MEJanuary 31, 2017
I worked at SA seasonally for the holidays, worked the holiday hours that started at 5am and went all the way until midnight..closing and opening...I wouldn't say they didn't care about burning their employees out, but they certainly didn't try very hard to keep them in tip top shape. Our breaks were tracked to the second by a certain manager and if we failed to be on the floor she made sure we were!
Pros
Great discount. Awesome coworkers.
Cons
Short breaks, micromanagement.
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Warrington, PANovember 30, 2016
Interesting place to work at, I had a fun time working there. Co-workers were enjoyable to work with. Management was likable and helpful. I enjoyed working there for the few months i was there.
Pros
flexible hours, pleasant co-workers, fun atmosphere
Cons
store closed
fun and relaxed
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Webster, TXNovember 15, 2016
i was a cashier so i didn't have any problems balancing work and life. the work environment was really fun. since it wasn't always busy, all cashiers have a chance to work in different departments to learn more about certain products and what sells. a typical day at work is 4-10ish give or take and it's slow so i'm able to stay on top of cleaning and organizing so as soon as it's time to leave, i'm good to go.

management was relaxed as long as we kept up with cleanliness and customers aren't being neglected.
Pros
relaxed environment, great first job
It was a cool place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  La Habra, CASeptember 22, 2016
A typical day at work was fun and chill with a clean and steady paces environment. I learned about pricing, online ordering, inventory check, sporting goods information, and censoring clothing. Management started really bad, then the store got a new Store Manager and she was awesome! Very organized, friendly, and always open to our ideas and concerns. My coworkers were all great! Everyone was really nice and cool. The hardest part was dealing with the difficult customers and picking up the store at the end while we were closing down. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting so many good and genuine coworkers and meeting very nice customers that appreciated all that we did for them on the job.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VA 23452August 30, 2016
A typical day at work would be coming in around 8 and cleaning up the store, mostly fixing displays and price tags or folding clothes. Management was great and very friendly.
loved working and being creative
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 10, 2016
company in general was very bad treated employees very unfair but i enjoyed working as a assitant manager. did what many couldnt do si i was always active and working. learning more for future jobs .
Pros
machines and actually liking the job
Cons
management
Productive and good working environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIJune 7, 2016
Working along with managing the cashier/customer service center at sports authority. I helped make everything run smoothly within the company. Communicated efficiently with customers to maintain a successful business day. My co-workers were friendly and we worked really well together, managing time as well as maintaining a good environment. The hardest part of this job was not getting frustrated with some customers, but with a good crew the day would flow well and seemed enjoyable.
Fun place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 19, 2016
The best thing about this job was I worked with a lot of people who knew how to joke and make work fun. I learned how to operate a new system of technology. I enjoyed my managers because they were the cause of most of the enthusiasm in the store. The hardest part about the job was learning where everything was but the most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sports Authority. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Sports Authority Reviews by Location