Sports Direct

Sports Direct insights

Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job
  • General feeling of work happiness

Not the Best

As a student, I worked 4-hour shifts on both days of the weekend for Sports Direct, on a minimum wage 0-hours contract, which is both confusing and unideal as you have no idea when your horus will be. Typically, I would get to work, put all my stuff away in the back, then immediately sign in on the payroll app at the till. Following that I had to ask my managers what I will be doing for the day, and do what they say for the following 4 hours. In this job, I learned how to cope with stress, how to communicate effectively with customers, and the punctuality required for the standard working retail life. However, I also learned that this was not the job for me. Sometimes I lacked the skills of retaining stress with myself whilst dealing with customers and found myself in situations with the managers that I could not do anything about. In Weymouth Sports Direct, the management there are very friendly, although they would like you to cut straight to the job with no messing around, which was difficult for me because I would want to joke sometimes, and sometimes it would not be the most appropiate time to do so. In the shop, the other Casual Retail Assistants who work there are extremely friendly and useful to have by your side, making working life a lot easier. however when the shop gets busier, typically everyone's moods become stricter because they're all having to deal with about 6 customers at one time, which in some cases could be a horror show. that is the most hardest part of the job. however, the most easiest part of the job is interacting with customers who are extremely -

Pros

You could not work specific hours if you don't want to.

Cons

No breaks, unrelaxing environment when busy, you cannot leave the shop floor during the set hours for a drink or the toilet.

Awful. Avoid

Management are awful and unprofessional. Expect you to work when they want you to and at short notice, pay no attention to your availability at all. Expect you to stay way past your shift finishes.

Pros

Commission, discount at other stores

Cons

Short breaks, bad management, poor pay, overworked, under appreciated, expect you to work when you’re unavailable

Productive and fun

It is the best place of work as all members of staff truly make you feel like your'e family. It is a lively and great environment to work in. The manager is also really understanding and caring.

Pros

Amazing colleagues

The management here is very good nobody is bored they are all happy and very nice to the client when they walk in to when they leave as well and they help them find the right things

Fun place to work

The staff were very friendly here they were the type of people you could have a laugh with they all made you feel welcome including the management! I got on very well with one of the managers he had my back the whole time I worked there Would definitely recommend working in this company to anyone.... I miss this job!

Pros

20% discount including family and friends, flexible with hours.

Cons

Zero contract hour job so could end up with no hours in one week

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

Very poor

Underpaid and mistreated by Managers who are overpaid and not worthy of their position due to their unprofessional attitude. Forced to sell £1 bags and star products if we wanted better pay, no guaranteed hours

ok

it was ok very flexible for students and they listened if you could not make it to work due to travel or school work and they were very helpful and handle situations great

Fun place to work.

Starting of in sports direct is pretty bad but once you get people within your team that you can have a joke with and aim for goals together then thats mainly what the sales are about and battling each other to get the highest KPI of the week or month. Very good place to learn the ways of sales. Even if you are just selling plastic bags for £1 and insoles for £5

Pros

0 hour contract don't have to accept work if I didn't want to

Cons

Low pay but then again I was 16-17

Unreliable Company

Cancelling shifts and not introduced to any members of the team at all. Often left on your own to deal with things. I was often running out of things to do and continually just wanted to be home.

Pros

Commission available

I enjoyed working here as the employees were really close with each other like a family.

I had an amazing experience working here. All the staff were amazing and friendly, it was just your pay that let the job down. 0 hour contracts for all part time staff.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Sports Direct?

Its a good place to start

It's a good place to start. The Salisbury branch has a welcoming team that show the basics and get you up through the ranks. The only down side is the benefits you get from it, well aren't really there.

Fun sporting goods enviroment

I enjoyed working for Sports Direct and the brands in their portfolio. I learned about different lines of business and helped license the brands around the world.

Pros

Great learning experience with retail

Cons

Had to relocate

Ok

Harsh working environment . work politics 100 percent. Watch your bac at all times. This place is a cesspit. Look elsewhere for a chance to develop your precious career.

Fun workplace and friendly atmosphere

It was a nice experience working with other people and serving customers regularly. I learned how to serve customers face to face and offer good customer service. The management offered good support in showing the basics of the job but then I managed to blend it perfectly. The staff where really nice and helpful.The hardest part was doing stockroom duties, and I really enjoyed serving customers to their satisfaction.

they will employ you on a zero hour without telling you and then when you are not at work they will do an investigation. they also have way to many staff employed who are not working

Absolutely disgraceful

I started work back in June for some experience and some money. The first month or so was fine, but as soon as I settled in I realised the pressure they put us under. They expect us to sell these add on products, even if it means tricking the customer into making them buy it. If you don't meet your targets then they threaten you. They expect you to do things that weren't part of the job description. They give you the maximum hours possible without break - most of my shifts are 6 hours so I get no break. And this is all whilst on minimum wage. The zero hour contract is really annoying cause whenever I put my availability down they never listen. The commission is well and good provided you're working pretty much every day. I work weekends due to school so don't earn much commission. The management is constantly under pressure, so they just pass on the pressure to us and watch us from the sidelines - rather than getting in and helping. Whenever the shoe department us busy and we don't have enough staff, they just make us get on with it rather than sending help or stepping into help themselves (unless a customer goes and asks them). Only decent thing is the other member of staff who understand everyone else's situation since they're in the same situation. I'm only here for the experience so I'm moving on soon.

Really enjoying it!

I recently started working at the newly opened Runcorn store and all I can say so far is that I really enjoy it. The fellow staff members I've met so far are all friendly enough and even the managers are nice. Even though it's a zero hour contract, it's still an enjoyable job as depending on how much effort you put into working, you can earn your commission. I sold 5 bags for life and one magazine just on my first day so really it's up to you to earn. If you don't have major commitments such as rent, bills, etc. then this job would be great.

Pros

20% discount, friendly staff, easy work

Cons

Short breaks

pretty poor place to work

Managment just sit around and do nothing and do not listen to you if you ever have a problem the pay is also an absolute joke

Pros

20% staff discount

Cons

everything else

Good work environment, hours could be better - but enjoying working here.

Been working a while now and it's a great place to work. Love the people I work with and entire atmosphere seems upbeat. Yes, it's awful pay but that's made up for with the commission you get. People who complain about not getting enough money are probably the people not trying hard enough to sell things. Wish there was air con in the stockrooms though as it gets really warm really quickly if you're running back and forth for shoes. They do try to make you sell add ons a lot though and almost try to make you trick customers into buying them. Not the stores fault though as they're constantly hounded on sales by higher management. Everyone handles everything quite well when it's busy and it's a fun place to work if you don't mind working hard. Staff discount isn't great as can only buy on Thursdays, and if you say you're free every day to work the week, you will. Only 4-8 hour shifts though which can suck after a while as it's the day gone but you don't get a full day's pay. But, overall I love working there at the moment. Don't know why there's so many negative reviews.

Pros

Commission, fun atmosphere, lots to do, exciting work.

Cons

Short hours, staff discount isn't great & add ons forced down throat

Horrific Place to Work

Completely hideous place to work. The managers almost got out their way to be rude and sarky. They look down on you like muck. I got threatened to get sacked by one of the managers because I didn't get searched before I left which leads me on to one of the other abominations of the job. Every employee gets searched before they leave in front of the whole store which is immensely degrading. Having to work 5 hours without a break is another major issue as after every shift I would leave dehydrated and hungry. It's like working in Victorian times at this place. The government need to do something about this store.

Women in the workplace? Don't make me laugh.

I joined this company with a fresh mind after an absolutely fantastic training experience. They really go above and beyond for their staff at Head Office. I WISH that this followed into the stores Sexism is something I thought didn't truly exist in today's modern workplace. But it is most definitely present at the stores in this company. Management do not like outsiders. They do not like new opinions. And most, if not all managers within this company are money minded. All they're thinking about is there bonuses. Although I guess with reason. The bonus scheme within SD is very, very appealing and is the reason that most management stay within those working conditions. Saying that, the members of staff within this company are fantastic! Most of them put a lot of effort and passion into the work they do and that is the best part of working for the company.

Pros

Good Salary for upper management, good bonus scheme.

Cons

Long Hours, Very clique

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sports Direct. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9