Sportsman's Warehouse
Happiness rating is 58 out of 100

Sportsman's Warehouse Employee Reviews

Sportsman's Warehouse insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Job is easy to do

Job is easy but almost no communication at all between departments, shifts, and different levels of management. Benifits are rather poor in regards to insurance, you dont get pto until a full year after hire, employee discount is probably the best benefit.

Pros

Good employee discount, easy work

Cons

Poor communication, poor maintenance on facility

Fun and meaningful work

I am a new Loss Prevention Manager. I really enjoy my job. I have my own office, pay is decent, I am not micro managed, other employees are nice, my DLPM is great and Corporate management is above average. I have worked LP at many other retailers in the past and Sportsman’s is by far my favorite! I look forward to growing with this company and I don’t plan on leaving in anytime soon.

Pros

Friendly co-workers, Decent pay, Can make my own schedule, Awesome DLPM, Good employee discount once you become eligible.

Cons

I can’t think of any

Low expectations, low pay

I took the position realizing it was entry level, although I've managed stores 3x this size, but just needed some work to keep busy. There is an immediate disconnect between mgmt and staff as everything is tied to computer based metrics. They have an indescribable amount of worthless online training, yet timely completion is measured. The amount of pre-existing knowledge and experience required is rewarded at $12/hr. When I looked left out the parking lot, I was able to do $17 bagging groceries.

Pros

They sell what I buy myself

Cons

Bottom pay, random schedule, mgmt clueless (not their fault).

Fun place to work

Most managers are amazing! The past GM was amazing but the new one cant clearly delegate tasks and is often all over the place and shifty. Very repetitive tasks but customersslsays bring something new to the table daily. Pay is so so. Benefits for FT are expensive. 401k is good.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Pay

It's retail

It's a great place to work if you are a student, or just need a part time gig. Amazing employee discount and fairly light work load. Management is extremely kind and understanding, you will be asked to work but its nothing that you can't handle. Only downside is customers are very rude here, im not sure why that is but alot of them are very arrogant and entitled so just beware.

Leave a review. Help people like you.

Fun place to work

Fun place to work for a first or second job or even for just some extra part time hours . There super flexible and always were happy to with my schedule

Pros

Employee discounts

Cons

No growth

Pay is low, raises are practically nonexistent

Sportman’s Warehouse is a chill place to work for the most part. If you have bills to pay I highly recommend you don’t work here as the pay is low and you can get paid more to be a cashier just about anywhere else. If you’re a college student wanting to work part time with no bills this job might be a better fit. The retention rate is low so odds are you might end up working by yourself or doing somebody else’s job. Work environment is pretty nice though. Also, everyone gets paid 10.25-10.71 regardless of your position in the store unless you are a manager.

Pros

Nice people

Cons

Bad pay, understaffed, frequent rude customers, no room for growth

Willing to go back

Sportsmans is a good overall company. They go out and do promotions with the Sportsmans show and other locations. I loved my work crew and we became like family.Flexible with time off. It is first come first serve so when you know, let management know.Moving up within the company involves relocating. Associates make minimum wage typically without increasing.

Unsupportive and Low Wages

The Asheville location has an extremely unqualified store manager, which affects the performance of the store top down. Managers and entry level employees alike are paid well below what they would earn anywhere else, and the corporate infrastructure could not be more unprofessional. From CEO to district manager, sportsman's warehouse does not care about their employees and does not provide the necessary infrastructure to foster success that almost every other corporate retailer provides. The only pro would be the discount, which will also be leaving within the month.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Poor hours, pay, and benefits. Poor infrastructure and management

Enjoy the environment but management needs improvement.

A lot of fun working in the outdoor business but management needs training on motivating workers and weeding out poor performers. Upper management makes decisions based on their preferences versus retail research.

Pros

Fun environment

Cons

Poor management

Room for advancement and great coworkers. Family atmosphere

I worked here for about a year and they all treated me like family! I miss it everyday but the pay is just not acceptable in this day and age! They have the best employee discount of anywhere I know of but if you aren’t into the type of sports they offer you won’t benefit much. They really need to pay their employees more

Pros

Family atmosphere. Great customers. Flexible schedule. Good management

Cons

Poor pay.

Horrible staff

The staff and managers were completely awful. Told you one thing and went to go do another. No hours when asked, mangers were creepy and hit on you. They also cussed you out and didn’t help.

Pros

Cons

All of it

Fun coworkers horrible pay

This is a fun place to work, Unfortunately you get the bare minimum to work despite your experience and how hard you work. You would think for such a big company that they would pay their employees better.

Pros

Fun environment

Cons

Low pay.

Very flexible schedule and great discount

So far things are going great. They’ve been able to work with my schedule without a problem. The discount is great and pay is good. They do offer a lot of overtime, so those checks can be pretty high. Only thing that sucks are some of the leads. A few of them tend to go on a power trip…

Pros

Discount, overtime

Cons

Takes a year to start earning PTO

Walmart retirees have taken over

The whole culture has been destroyed in less then one year. Long tenured employees that worked for Sportsmans for 15 to 25 years have left after the new VP and Regional Managers have come on board. A sad day as most of us stayed with this company for this long because of the culture and strong leadership at the top. To see Walmart structure introduced was so disheartening to so many.

Pros

It was the great culture

Cons

New Walmart Management brought that toxic environment to Sportsmans

It's retail...

When I first started working here, business was great and there was no pressure of shoving add ons and credit cards. There was plenty of coverage in the departments and it was a more relaxed environment. Then Corporate started pushing unattainable goals, cutting hours causing the store to run with a skeleton crew. There is not much room for advancement unless upper management like you and the pay is nothing compared to what is expected of you. The only good thing is your coworkers become family.

Pros

No uniform, flexible schedule, great discount

Cons

Horrible pay, corporate, sales goals

The pay is not great, but good environment

The pay is low for the industry. My coworkers are amazing for the most part. Management is mostly wonderful and good to work with. The employee discount is amazing. Tend to get grumpy old men that get offended that you have to check in their gun before it can be worked on.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Pay

Wow

When i first started i loved it here, but slowly, everything started to change. Favoritism plays the biggest factor in this place, if you aren’t besties with the management, you aren’t going anywhere. you aren’t moving up, getting a raise, or even being spoken to. you could be the best in your department, but if you aren’t one of the mains, you get nothing. the pay is HORRENDOUS, and loyalty gets you nowhere here.

Pros

discount

Cons

money, managers, employees, (some of) customers

Stressful place to work at where nothing you do is ever good enough

Always being micromanaged to the point of being followed around the store. Everything bothers upper management after they decide they don’t like you.

Flexibility and wage

They are the most flexible with any schedule. Their flexibility is unmatched by any other job that I have ever known. However, they dont pay anything close to a livable wage. They want people to do frieght, run the department, inventory control, and building displays and furniture every week for around $10/hour. I've job searched enough to know that each of those job requirements are their own job at other employment places that pay at the least $14/hour. Corporate just cares about how much money they make, not how they're running the staff into the ground for no money.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Basically pays nothing

Poor management

If you want to be very underpaid and have people who should never be managers be your boss, then this is the place for you. Other high lights are that LP watches employees more that the thief’s.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

LP watches employees more than bad guys

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sportsman's Warehouse. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.6
InHerSight Score
2.0Personal Development
3.0Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight