Sportsman's Guide

Working at Sportsman's Guide: 28 Reviews

United States28 reviews

workplacepeoplegoodmanagementenjoynicecompany

Comfortable physical environment.

Be punctual and regular in attendance, follow rules, and you'll do well. Metrics are strict but goals are achievable. Supervisors generally want to help you succeed. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Hard place to work

High turn over rate super strict with bathroom breaks even though you’re on phones you can’t go more than your breaks even if your throat hurts. The management mostly aren’t kind it’s bad because they don’t have your back. They value their customers more than their workers.

Sportsman's Guide insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Great fun place to work. I worked during the Christmas Rush. You kept busy but not over whelmed nice employee discount.Bad, they hire seasonal workers for busy times and few get to stay on.

Very flexible

This job works with u you stay busy there very flexible they have multiple shifts and different positions there is room for moving up nice people good management team

Bad company

Bad company not professional, uses the temps workers until the work is over and just let you go without a notice, workers or rude unprofessional, supervisors dont care about the temp workers

Sportsman's Guide

A typical work day at Sportsman's Guide, to arrive at least 15 minutes early, to speak with supervisor and prepare for the rest of my evening. I learned to direct the conversation in keeping with my time restraints. I got along with management always willing to go above and beyond what my job duties were. Enjoyed working with all my co-workers. Maintaining my time on my calls. Enjoyed everything

Terrible

It's not a bad option if you just need a temporary job. However they will lie to employees about the possibility of being brought on permanently and full time and then a week later they will cut you. They cut a ton of people the week before Christmas this past year as well. Only take this job if you need a quick buck. It's not a job you can survive on longer then a couple months at best.

Pros

Weekly paychecks

Cons

Too many to list

My hours were changed to Sunday-Thursday and I am looking for a Monday-Friday employment

I take my job seriously. I perform to the best of my ability. I listen to the customers and resolve the issue in a timely manner. I use the resources available to achieve this goal.

Fast paced

Fast-paced environment with a good workforce. The various department teams strive to implement the various ideas of the company leaders in a timely manner.

wack

not a secure job. will let you go and not give reasoning for it. will make changes in department based on things that don't actually help the actual agents in the department do their roles

nice place to learn

nice place to learn skills for resume but last place to work for long term, spanish is likely needed to advance and communicate with all employees. some long term employees are disgruntled.

Pros

employee discounts

Cons

location for buses

Company went from a great company to poor.

Was part of a transformation of an unprofitable company to one that increased profits and sales every year. Fun place to work with an opportunity to be part of change and improvement. New CEO came in and changed everything with no input from present management. Profit fell first then sales lagged in high margin department. Took away fun and involvement and then blamed management for failure.

Pros

Causual dress and discount

Cons

Poor executive team.

Good for establishing sales/customer service esperience

If you enjoy speaking with people and are pursuing a career in sales or customer service, this is a good place to start. They offer decent pay + commission.

they was very strict but i understood why do to the fact that there were always calls in the que

I learned a lot about the hunting season and the high demands of the ammunition and different cross bows as well as that they sold everything from clothes to pet supplies a very high call volume

Has turned into a corperate zombie company

Sportsman's Guide used to be a great place to work because of the job security, fast paced work and great down-to-earth people. I was a loyal worker who loved my job there. But since last year SG was bought by Northern Tool. Northern Tool is a predatory company that has liquidated and outsourced all the departments, destroying the once great company. As far as I'm concerned it is no longer the company I worked at and loved. After gutting ours and many other departments, Northern Tool began singling out workers who had been there 10-20 or more years and getting rid of them by any means possible. Laying them off, forcing some into early retirement, accusing them of things that they never did and using coworkers unfounded accusations to bring grievances against them. This happened to nine of my close coworkers, including myself. A despicable corporate tactic. The people that were rehired where inexperienced, young and not friendly. The work atmosphere went from warm, friendly, family-like, to cold, uncaring and Big Brother-ish with coworkers reporting anything said to HR as an infraction to get ahead. Because of the drastic change many coworkers left on there own, citing it was a miserable place to work and I agreed. I was isolated and unappreciated for my experience and years of hard work. It had become a toxic work environment. For years I enjoyed the heavy work load and willingly did overtime as needed. I was always busy. After most of my department was let go, the steady work that I had enjoyed for years petered off and management didn't care. I had not only totally -

Pros

Had some great, highly skilled people who are all gone now

Cons

Bought by predator company Northern Tool that destroyed a money making company

Nice place to work

I had fun working at Sportsman Warehouse. The work was easy and it was easy to get along with the other team member. the hours fit in with my personal lift

Nice place to work

I don't belive that they gave me enough time to get use to the job. They have to understand that neww employee will make mistakes

Pros

Easy to get along with other emplyee

Cons

needs t9o be able to let employee get used to the job

Exciting workplace

The company is a good company to work for with fair pay and decent benefits. The company provides a yearly outing for the employees as well as 2 BBQ's yearly. The people I worked with were knowledgeable and very helpful when I needed their support. The management team were always helpful and very supportive. There was nothing hard about the job but very busy during our rush time. Every aspect of the job was enjoyable.

Pros

Family outings, BBQ's, Pot lucks, Easy time off in summer (slow time)

Cons

New hires yearly with little or no knowledge of products or procedures

fun and easy

picking orders in the warehouse. to drive a picker lift. co-workers were nice and helpful. finding the order number that I never had before or seen. driving the picker lift.

Ever-changing Policies

Not a secure place to work. Work environment is very stressful. Policies change close to monthly, and are changed at company's leisure, and without notice to employees. Management is difficult to deal with regarding employee issues / problems.

Catalog Company

It was a busy but nice place to work with good learning opportunities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sportsman's Guide. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.8
InHerSight Score
2.5Personal Development
3.0Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight