SPRING ARBOR UNIVERSITY Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
People were nice
Custodial Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIMarch 1, 2018
The full time employees were good to work with; they were hard workers. Something I learned is that there is always work to do when it comes to cleaning. I worked over the summer at Spring Arbor University doing custodial. It was good working in teams in the dorm rooms because there was always someone to talk with, but I got moved to carpet duty which involves using an extractor in a dorm room by yourself for 30 minutes then moving onto the next one. The breaks were good; there were 2 thirty minute breaks which sometimes dragged on for another ten minutes.
Pros
Moving at your own pace
Cons
People come and go throughout the summer
Cool
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIFebruary 20, 2018
I absolutely loved working here. Coworkers and employers were all an absolute pleasure to work with. The bosses are all understanding that academics come first.
Great community of learners
Chief of Staff (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIFebruary 10, 2018
an amazing place to serve.
staff is great
faculty is great
board is great
administration is great
it's a great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great place. Really, it is.
Pros
day-to-day work
Cons
stress
Collaborative Christian Environment
Academic Student Connections (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIFebruary 3, 2018
Spring Arbor University is a Christ-Centered University. This means everything that is apart of the university reflects Christ-like actions. While working with the school, other students and employees reflected Christ-like abilities in every action. Everyday, one was treated with respect, devotion, and care.
Great place of employment
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIJanuary 9, 2018
Flexible working environment. Enjoy the people and mission of the University. Would recommend for a work life balance employment opportunity. Spring Arbor has been great.
Spring Arbor University
RESIDENT ASSISSANT (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIJanuary 7, 2018
Wonderful facility
friendly campus
skilled professors
workplace is diverse
library is accessible
Campus is small enough to have community be apart of the daily activities.
a nice and convenient place to work
Assistant Professor of English (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIDecember 14, 2017
I met with students in classrooms to teach English courses. Each university has its unique policies, and SAU was a cut above many other colleges and universities in its friendliness, accessibility to management, and in ensuring that instructors were well supported. What I learned and affirmed is that teaching multi-cultured students is life-changing and improves teaching as a profession.

The hardest part of any teaching job is motivating unmotivated students, and the most enjoyable experience is always with students, their uniqueness, and enjoying their energy.
Pros
Multi-cultural students, supportive management, academic freedom
Cons
At the time, a degrading economy which provided no opportunity.
n/a
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Lambertville, MINovember 5, 2017
Was fine unless you didn't get a good evaluation then they just cut you, no knowledge they just stop calling you. should take time to get to know your staff and why they do the things they do.
I love being in the classroom with adult learners! Makes it worthwhile!
Adjunct professor (Current Employee) –  Lambertville, MIOctober 17, 2017
While working part time contractual isn't for everyone due to the ebb and flow or work availability for courses, I love being in the academic setting with students!
review
Assistant to Vice President (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MI 49283August 7, 2017
An overview of expectations for that day and week enjoyed continual use of computers regarding websites, data entry etc. I supervised many students in each position. Family oriented culture, the hardest part was probably finding enough employment for incoming students. The enjoyable part was watching each student grow and change getting ready for the workplace.
Pros
free unches to mingle with students
An excellent community
LAB ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIJuly 18, 2017
I was a student worker in the science department. Department professors were very pleasant to work with. The facilities are unfortunately outdated, but professors here do a remarkable job with the resources they have.
Pros
Friendly, helpful
Cons
Compensation
Wonderful Christian Liberal Arts School
Adjunct Professor of Psychology (Current Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MI 49283July 9, 2017
SAU in the most wonderful school in Michigan. It is not often a Christian can lecture and teach the belief of the bible along with business, counseling, and Arts. I would recommend this university to any student regardless of religion. The teachers and faculty are wonderful the administration are very sincere and effective and they care about every individual regardless of race, color, gender or religion.
Pros
Academic Atmosphere
Cons
Needs for funding for curriculum
It is not the same place as it was five years ago.
Former worker (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIJuly 9, 2017
With the budget crunch, management has no clue on how to fix the problem. The president who is in his 40's is on a youth movement in filling almost every director and management position with someone who is younger than him. Most of the long term employees are only staying there because of their age and the fact that they want SAU to survive.
Pros
The student interaction
Cons
Too many to deal with.
Hardest part of the job
Adjunct Professor - Biology (Current Employee) –  Lansing, Toledo etc MIJune 28, 2017
Insecure. Job assignments are far and beyond and have been available to me only in fall each year on weekends. Do not get to meet any colleagues. Teach and leave . Love the fellowship and working the students or any students
Relaxed workplace with fun community
Audio/Visual Technician (Current Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIJune 13, 2017
As part of the Audio/Visual team at Spring Arbor University, you get paid to set up and tear down equipment at events, and often to stay at the events to supervise the equipment. The team itself is very laid-back, including the boss/head of the team. Everyone is always happy to help each other and answer any questions, whether you are new to the team or not.
Pros
laid-back environment, sometimes free lunch and movie nights
Cons
hours aren't steady (good for a flexible schedule)
Great place to learn and grow as an individaul
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIMay 17, 2017
Spring Arbor has taught me a lot of about life, and how to grow spiritually. Spring Arbor was very enjoyable for me and love the people I was around. The environment was very good. people were very nice to each other and the professor reached out to their students.
Pros
Great Friends
Cons
Short breaks
Productive and fun
(CASE) Mentor (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIApril 20, 2017
SAU is a good place to work and go to school. Mostly all supervisors understand that classes come first, which is really good. Attendance is really important for the CASE program though.
Chartwells Spring Arbor University
Chartwells Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIApril 18, 2017
I was a student at SAU while I worked with Chartwells. It was a solid job for a student, I was limited to 20 hours a week as a student, which is a fair load for the average student to bare. Chartwells was able to competently adjust to my always changing schedule to allow me to get the hours I need. Work culture was not always fun, with a lot of conflict between the higher ups.
Pros
Meal every time I worked, friendly co-workers
Cons
unclear standards, managerial conflicts
Needed a Change
Custodian Technician (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIApril 17, 2017
I have worked for Spring Arbor University for over fifteen years. I was in charge of the Student Center for over six years. I enjoyed the Faculty, Staff, and Students. Being in a University environment has enabled me to better myself in communication, work ethic, and caring for the University. I have grown in knowledge in office , carpet, and hard floor cleaning. I was highly respected in any building that I was assigned. I have turned buildings around from average cleaning to making them spotless. Other staff and faculty did not not want me to leave the building I was assigned to. I found that some people did not conform to the polices of the University. Even the food service company did not treat me with respect. I felt the University did not help me with my problem and I could not take it anymore. My one main goal at S.A.U was to make it much better than before I was employed there.
Pros
Great caring staff and students.
Cons
Harassment and belittling me from the food service company.
Intern for the
President's Office Intern (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIApril 2, 2017
They didn't pay nearly enough, but great job. The management and the culture in the President's office was great. Time off is flexible but the pay is too little.