Springfield Park District Employee Reviews

Relaxed and Independent with Great Supervisor
Carillon Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILNovember 12, 2018
I could just sit at my desk for six hours, talking to tourists or working on my computer. Most tourists are very kind and lovely to talk to. Plus, the manager is super friendly and personable.
Pros
Great boss, independent, workstudy
Cons
not many hours, can be boring
Learning experience and fun times
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Robin RobertsNovember 26, 2018
I have learned a lot and still have a lot left to learn. If you don't like your spot at the park you can ask to transfer anytime. you are also part of the union so you cant take classes through them and as long as you pass they pay for them.
Pros
Over time, paid time off
Cons
Sesonal
General Maintenance
General Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 15, 2018
Maintained a pleasant, attractive environment for public interaction, and adhered to meeting specifications for recreational facilities.Increase productivity by repairs, and troubleshooting and identifying optimum solutions while maintaining best practices.
Pros
was able to watch baseball
Overall satisfaction with duties. Not as satisfied with change of board members due to elections.
Head Golf Professional/Independent Contractor/GM (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 29, 2017
By being owner operator of the golf shop a typical workday was a split shift which I opened and closed the shop seven days a week. The district was ran by a board of directors of elected officials and an executive staff hired by the board.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Lack of marketing golf
Part Time Job through College
Tennis Instructor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 12, 2018
I only worked for the park district through college, and it served its purpose during that time. I really enjoyed the people I worked for, and with at the Velasco Tennis Center.
Relaxed environment.
Senior Internship (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILOctober 17, 2017
Springfield Park District had a lot to offer. It is definitely a growing Park District that is trying to catch up with the more advanced Districts around the state.
Lifeguard
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 13, 2017
Let me start off and say this was my first job ever and worked there for two summers. I also have to say that Lifeguards should be paid above min wage cause it does require training.
Productive work place
Maintenance Foreman (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJuly 15, 2017
It's a really good entry level maintenance job, you learn how to operate all kinds of machinery, mowers,chainsaws, pole saws, weed whips, and every one is really easy going
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Seasonal
Best Job!
Head Counselor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILAugust 18, 2014
Responsible for assisting camp director in all areas of need, including supervision of camp counselors and campers, maintaining camp records, and establishing good rapport with parents. Solely responsible for planning camp activities.

• Communicate with campers’ families on a daily basis (with any issues also)
• Plan daily activities
• Set up field trips and guest speakers
• Record keeping, i.e., attendance, medication sheets, campers’ files and payroll
• Write communication to families, i.e., newsletters, correspondence of upcoming events or any notices.
• Maintain inventory levels of supplies including purchases
• Keep financial records (weekly camp fees and lunch fees)
• Staffing, i.e. arranging for substitute counselors

The hardest part of the job was making sure the activities worked out okay. The best part of the job was just being able to be outside and get to hang out with kids all day.
great place to work
Maintenance II (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 4, 2017
The job offers great hours, fair pay. iwould highly recomend this job to anyone able to do a little manual labor. Almost everyone there pulls their own weight. the foremans are kind of pointless because most of them dont do anything.
Pros
everything
Cons
foremans
Not very fun
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 30, 2017
I interned at the Springfield Park District it was not a fun experience for me personally, but like I said I was just an intern so they gave me a lot of work that nobody else would want to do and it was a non-paid internship
Look elsewhere
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJune 1, 2017
This place is a joke and all about politics you are either in their group or not. The management is a joke and only out for themselves. Bunch of backstabers too.
Fun Place
Facility Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 24, 2014
Everyday was fun and challenging working with teenagers. The only hard things was not getting paid enough for the job. The job was good I enjoyed the relationships that were build with staff and other supervisor.
Pros
Breaks and lunch
Cons
wages