Springfield Public Schools, MA Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 15, 2019
I loved that place and is willing to go back and work for them really cool staff learned lots about custodians and how important their job is to a school or a business.
Sps review
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 9, 2019
I throughly enjoy working for Springfield Public Schools. I was able to work my way up from a Paraprofessional to a Day to Day substitute teacher, to a long term substitute, to a Teacher. My principal is friendly, supportive, and encourages his employees growth.
No management cares
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJuly 17, 2019
It’s a city job. No advancing. Just use as a career step and move on. Management doesn’t want relationships with lasting employees and don’t care about your hard work.
Team approach
Teacher Assistant ED (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJuly 2, 2019
Everyone was extremely helpful. Staff worked as a team to wrap as many services around each child as possible. The hardest part of the job was remaining consistent with the kids.
Pros
summers off
Cons
pay was low
Terrible atmosphere and management
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 28, 2019
People are rewarded by management for backstabbing other teachers. Principal promises things that can't happen and is only ever seen at review time. Reviews are completely subjective and only negatives are noted.
Pros
Decent pay, good benefits
Cons
Terrible workplace culture
great place to learn to teach
Math teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 13, 2019
I learned to teach at Springfield. I was a classroom math teacher who taught everything from Algebra support classes to Geometry, Algebra 2, Statistics, AP Statistics and SAT-Prep. Work environment was supportive and collaborative.
It was fun
Custodian/Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAMay 2, 2019
It was overall a good job just didn't pay well or have much Vacation benfits. It would of been better for the salary to been more and more hours because it cost alot to live in my area
i love working with the youth in this community
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 24, 2019
i love this job, mainly because of the kids. Sometimes with long assignments, if there is an open slot and not specifically looking to cover one teacher, they can bounce you around and that can get a bit annoying. If you like to move around to different schools everyday to be a substitute and know our youth in Springfield, do it!
Fair Employer
EDUCATOR (Former Employee) –  Elementary level.April 1, 2019
Teaching today's children is challenging. The district's insistence on extraneous assessment, lack of resources for students with critical needs and a teacher performance evaluation system that is over-bearing yet surprisingly easy to manipulate makes for an interesting day at work. A positive day at work is largely dictated by the principal's management style. I was lucky in that arena so my day was manageable. The "fair" rating is a reflection of the district and not my school, principal, students or colleagues.
.......................................................................................................................................................
Pros
Loved my principal. Professional development available to improve one's skills, numerous opportunities to alter one's career focus and earn additional money throughout the year.
Cons
Teaching bleeds into personal life, incessant focus on ELA and Math, extraneous district assessments of both teachers and students, poorly constructed teacher evaluation system.
Pretty much the worst place ever
Witheld for privacy (Former Employee) –  Witheld for privacyMarch 27, 2019
If you are looking to begin your teaching career in Springfield, DO NOT. Go far away. This place is a cesspool of nepotism and self-serving administration. My classroom was 45 degrees once and I got written up by my principal for letting students wear their coats. If they decide they don't like you, they WILL torpedo your career. And Springfield has such a stigma that no other teaching job wants to hire me.

I learned what NOT to do as a leader from my time at SPS. A typical day at work consists of you being bullied by your admin, administering the standardized tests they require (seriously twice a month on an already-tight schedule to provide data that leadership never looks at).

The hardest part of the job was managing the mental illnesses I developed due to the high stress and unpredictability of SPS.

Summers are nice, but they pay is so low that you'll probably have to get a summer job. If you have savings, you might be okay, but teachers are not known for being flush with cash.

Plus, our union is worthless and let leadership continue to act as they have been. So a pro has been losing $70/paycheck for a union that does not do anything to support me.

TL;DR: Stay away. Stay far away. Do not even CONSIDER working here. Seriously, I would advise you to change careers before I'd tell you to work here.
Pros
They pay me. Most times.
Cons
Crippling anxiety, self-serving leadership, only teachers truly care for the students
Teaching is always rewarding, it has its share of challenges. It really makes you feel you are a valued part of your community.
Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAMarch 13, 2019
Teaching in Springfield was very interesting, it has a diverse culture and a wide socioeconomic community. There were days when you really wanted a simpler job, but then summer would come and you would know that you had changed your student lives for the better.
Pros
Working with poor administration.
Cons
Working with students and parents.
not bad
High School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAMarch 12, 2019
not a bad place to work, not the best place to work, but it is a great stepping stone! it was a good place to get started but i burnt out fast and there wasn't a lot of support to keep people, a big turnover district.
Goal focused assessment driven teaching structure
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 21, 2019
Teaching for the SPS was a great learning experience, that supported multiple pedagogues.However management and efficiency with streamlining those teaching styles was often lacking, unorganized and inconsistent.
Pros
paid vacations and summers off
Cons
lack of resources and support
Exhilarating and insightful workplace
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 8, 2019
It is exciting working with students and teachers in the Springfield Massachusetts Schools. It's wonderful learning how educators teach similar subjects by differing methods. Also, observing how the various elementary classrooms are structured. It's extremely insightful watching , often times, having the opportunity to collaborate with staff encouraging students in grades K through fifth. Extraordinary, is the word I would use to describe the opportunity to work in a variety of schools and age groups within the public school system. Most of all it's inspiring to teach a child in kindergarten and to watch their growth until they reach fifth grade and become independent enough to continue their learning into middle school.

Teaching is exhilarating, to help prepare a student to become a learner for life. I appreciate the opportunity to assist a scholar to find their method in understanding and absorbing information. It's fascinating monitoring a child's growth and capacity to explore information.
Pros
The pros were exploring different schools and grade levels.
Cons
The cons were not being able to teach the same students throughout the school year.
Springfield Public Schools
Employee (Current Employee) –  SpringfieldJanuary 16, 2019
This is a great job to start off. Once you get your education advances will come after you pass the MTEL, more doors will open. Also, if your in the class room be prepaid to have thick skin working with public school students especially if your in special education. Overall, the students are good staff members are great and your part of a team.
Pros
Benifits, out by 3:30pm., paid vacations if your a "TEACHER", great vacation time.
Cons
If your not a teacher you dont get paid, stress of passing mutiple test throught the year, some cases physically, and verbally abused by students and staff.
It was difficult to have much success as a teacher at UP Academy Kennedy.
Science Middle School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 16, 2019
Every day at work was extremely stressful. I learned how to manage my emotions and an extremely difficult student population. The hardest part of the job was constantly having kids throwing tantrums and playfighting in the classroom. The best parts were collaborating with teachers and building relationships with students.
More Child Advocacy
School Counselor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 10, 2019
District has an “unspoken” percentage for SPED referrals per school, per year. Children are NOT numbers, they’re human beings. We have to look at each individual child without thinking about the consequence for exceeding a number.
Pros
Some very dedicated and hard working professionals.
Cons
Principals with God complexes.
Love My Job!
Foreign Language Teacher/Spanish-Grades K-12 (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MADecember 13, 2018
I love my job. I have been working for Springfield Public Schools since 1997. Inner-city teaching is a challenging career, but it is so rewarding. The Springfield Pucblic School System is my home.
Pros
Collegiality, Salary, Benefits
Cons
Advancement
Great support!
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MANovember 19, 2018
Each site that I worked for supplied me with a great management/support system. I would love to return to their work base. The diversity of the coworkers and the students that I worked with; gave me an international experience.
The hardest part of the job is to try to break the stereotype that Substitute Teachers do not really teach, that they just let the students watch movies all day, it's not true at all. Even with an assignment that was left by the teacher, improvisation maybe needed.
The best experience for me was creating my own assignments that dealt with the subject, it brought out the students creativity also.
Pros
Bettering the future.
Cons
There are none for me.
not a bad place to work
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MANovember 14, 2018
not a bad place to work its just stressful with the students behavior,but its a satisfying job that you know you might change the life of at least one student.
Pros
alright pay
Cons
childrens behavior