Springfield Public Schools, MA logo

Springfield Public Schools, MA Employee Reviews

Springfield Public Schools, MA insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Fun workplace

I worked as a paraprofessional and it was pretty fun since I wasn’t actually doing paraprofessional work. I was mostly used as a long term substitute teacher. The kids were awesome once they got to know me

Pros

Good coverage pay

Cons

Sometimes difficult scheduling

Big District

I worked as a classroom teacher in an alternative school which was alright. Administration wasn't the best with putting unrealistic expectations on us regularly. There was no real home life/work balance. Getting to know the students was great but admin not so much.

Great teachers, terrible admin and downtown staff

Teachers are the backbone of this school district and should be treated as such. Teachers are given terrible PD, from both outside sources and internal sources, which are completely ineffective.

All depends on the leadership

If you work in a school with good leadership, you will love your job. If you work in a school with poor leadership, you may be miserable and stressed, especially if you have a position that works directly with the leadership team.

passion for teaching

I worked at Commerce to get back into my passion for teaching. I feel in love with teaching in the Bronx working with disenchanted youth, and I thought I could make a difference. I did everything I could do to better myself, gave up two summers for PD, got an AP Calc certification and taught the high level classes. I loved my students but I would throw up every morning on my way to work because I was so stressed someone would make a comment about my wardrobe and jewelry (family heirlooms btw) and people calling me a product of white privilege. I was let go after two years, after getting proficient reviews, and having Ap certification, national certification and professional statues with the DOE. I was told, " I was not part of the plan." What the plan was I have no idea? But as someone with the credentials I have, now teaching 20 years, and Springfield constantly looking for teachers, why would they let someone go who wants to work in that environment. A student emailed me a few weeks ago, and said that my heart was in a place that was 100% better than anyone else in the school that he had as a teacher.

Pros

Loved the students

Cons

Administration and the ZONE

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Administration is adversarial with teachers, rather than contributory

Springfield Public Schools has an authoritarian management system. Many of the staff positions and administerial positions are filled by having connections to the right people. Loyalty is expected. Disagreement is considered to be disloyalty and treated accordingly.

Pros

Administration is generally too busy to care what you are doing

Cons

Administration is quick to promise support or resources but never delivers

Draining job but good place starting out

Only way I would recommend is if you’re a first year and need experience to get anywhere else. It’s a very draining atmosphere and you are almost always working well past the time you should be. Constant worrying. Not supported the way you should be.

ok place, decent pay

Pay is decent, won't move up unless you know someone. 1st supervisors don't do anything, leave all work for 2nd shift crew. Cater to much to teachers.

Pros

Easy work

Cons

no advancement

The sense of appreciation from the children, parents, and friends.

I love working for the Springfield school district. The supervisor is supportive and encouraging. Your autonomy is valued and respected. You have the opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of others.

Pros

Making a real difference

Cons

Sometimes it’s hard to get out of the office

Come in do your as needed job,

Come to work do your job be respectable be responsible be encouraging be humble and patient give good advice positive work positive words positive energy delete the negativity where it's at I love working with the kids

Jobs at Springfield Public Schools, MA

See more jobs

Challenging place to work

Challenge environment due to some of the students's struggles but the staffing was very supportive to each other and always ready to assist with developing new skills.

Teamwork is a must

Everyone is very supportive of one another, most of the time in most places. The workload has gotten much harder over the years as if you were people are expected to do more work which is placed upon them. Overall, The jobs are doable, and the teachers are supportive of classroom staff. There are personality difficulties sometimes. But everyone is there to help the children benefit. Overall it is a good working community

Pros

The pay is good if you are an LPN or RN . Everyone is supportive of each other.

Cons

Certain rooms are gossipy. Although there is an opportunity to work summers, if you don’t you’re not allowed to collect employment.

I really loved the family like environment that Dryden Elementary had to offer.

I would overall give a great review to SPS. The staff, the teachers and the students were all amazing. I got support and encouragement from my fellow coworkers to do what was best for me so that I could better my finances.

A school district struggling for identity and stabilization

Although there are good intentions to serve a low-income and culturally diverse population, too many changes are taking place in a very short period of time trying to correct under-achieving student bodies as reflected in standardized testing.

Rebuilding years, so can be hard at times, but room for growth and can be very rewarding.

I liked working with empowerment zone, there's just a lot of growth that can be done for both staff and students. There is flexibility in the classroom as an elective teacher however things often get unorganized and communications between teachers and admin need improvement.

Vert interesting

The most challenging position I have held. I learned alot about today's young people. I would recommend this position to an aspiring educator. I can appreciate my high school teacher today

Great

Great job as a 4 man crew Cleaned up and remodeled the waxed floors and even picked up the trash from around the school lunch breaks optional except 1

Draining, Exhaisn

I found the job to be draining with almost no support for me or the staff in my classroom with impossible expectations to improve student behavior while making sure I never had the tools necessary to do so.

Good environment

This is a supportive and positive place to work, full of people who really care about what they do. The families and students are great to work with as well.

home visits

Helping families have their children ready for kindergarten. Made my own schedule weekly and developed a relationship with families that last for years.

Great School System To Work For

I loved my job as a vocational teacher in Springfield Public School System. I thoroughly enjoyed preparing students to enter the world of business. Springfield Public Schools provided me with the support and vision for student success.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Springfield Public Schools, MA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Springfield Public Schools, MA