Springfield Public Schools - Missouri Pay & Benefits reviews

I enjoyed my job on the school buses.
School Bus Nurse/Attendant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMarch 1, 2019
Excellent position. Excellent managerial staff.
Enjoyed working with the students and getting to know them.
Perfect work hours for a part-time job. That includes benefits.
Fun place to work and meet new people
Kitchen aide (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOOctober 30, 2018
It was a very nice and fun job to work i met alot of nice people who was willing to show me how to be a great at my job and do the very best that i can.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Great health care insurance
An absolute nightmare
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 9, 2018
The job was great, it was simple, paid very well, but management was the absolute worst. If you sucked up and three people under the bus, it was impossible to be fired. If you didn't, your shifts were changed, you were harassed, screamed at, were not allowed to change schools or promoted, hours deducted from your check for no reason, etc. Teachers and administrators treat you like servants and management expects you to take it without a word. Management will lie to you, try to cheat you out of sick pay, grievement pay, overtime, etc. Singlehandedly the worst job I have ever worked.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Management is a nightmare
Stable/low pay
Preventative Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJuly 12, 2018
Get prepared to only get paid once a month also get ready to pay really expensive health care for any of your family members beside yourself. Very poor management Pay scale is completely whacked you never know actually how much you’re getting paid but good and stable employment vacation time paid health insurance for yourself Drama runs the place. Very very political Overall not a bad place to work just have to watch your back. Definitely never going to make a lot of money here but again stable. Shifts for maintenance 12-830.
Good place start in maintenance.
Pros
Off on the weekends/Retirement
Cons
The list goes on management overpriced healthcare paid once a month
great place to work with awesome coworkers and boss
LPN (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MO 65802April 11, 2018
I loved my time at SPS. The best job I've ever had!! Just doesn't pay very well, but great benefits and time off. I loved the students, coworkers, teachers, and principal at my school. Awesome place to work.
Pros
very rewarding work, lots of time off, good hours
Cons
low pay, no advancement
Lunch Lady (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOFebruary 25, 2018
Good place to work had to do a little bit of traveling but over all a good job would recommend to anyone as a first job or as a good job fun place to work
Great workplace with relaxed atmosphere
Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MODecember 11, 2017
SPS is a great place to work with great benefits. Though they don't offer tuition reimbursement, they do push for professional development. Employees are urged to get certifications and attend conferences that are paid for by SPS. Atmosphere is getting more laid back with more casual dress, stand-up desks, open work environment, and ping-pong tables. This review applies to the IT department only.
Pros
great benefits and retirement. great professional development
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MONovember 4, 2017
This was a great job to earn a paycheck to pay bills. I did what I needed to do and they in return paid me for my services. I liked what I did and felt like I was a contributor to society.
Overall Good
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJuly 12, 2017
I was a paraprofessional. The pay could have been better since I took on a lot more responsibility then I felt I was compensated for. I did not even bring home 1000 a month.
Felt like I was among the walking dead of maintenance workers
Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJune 29, 2017
Almost every single person there was there to punch in from 8-5 (or more correctly, 10-830) and leave. You can be in departments (such as electrical, plumbing, hvac) without any ACTUAL experience. I originally hired into the Paint department and it was immediately clear that was a lot of dislike for that department (despite that the positions DID require some actual labor).

In the end, I was fired for choices that I made and am completely fine with (not accurately recording time relative to my location). I was the one was fired, but by NO stretch of the imagination was I the worst abuser of this practice. I don't begrudge the consequences at all. But I would not recommend working for SPS to anyone who is looking to do anything other than waste as much time as possible and get paid to do it by flying under the radar.
Pros
decent benefits, fun working with teachers and principals (mostly)
Cons
low pay (generally), lot of "who you know" politics exchanged
Its ok
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 8, 2016
You can work hard and get the same pay as someone who works very little. It is a good place to start you learn how to move at a fast
pace. There are some great people that work there.
Cons
shorts breaks
School Bus Driver
Customer Service and child safety (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOApril 2, 2016
It was a typical school bus driving position. I enjoyed the job very much but this company did not have accommodations for employee's own children's transportation nor could we bring our children with us and transport our own children to school after transporting other students; it simply was not allowed like other smaller schools. And my children's transportation to school needs to happen as well.
Pros
Great hours and benefits
Cons
Does not accommodate employee's children's transportation
I fully enjoyed working for Springfield Public Schools
Autism Behavior Technician Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJune 8, 2015
I learned a lot working as an Autism Behavior Tech. I was given great direction while also given room to create optimal behavior plans. I worked directly under an Autism Specialist/Process Coordinator and she was terrific. The benefits were great and the special ed department was organized.
Springfield Public Schools is a decent place to work;however, the benefits are expensive for spouses.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOApril 17, 2015
Springfield Public Schools is a decent place to work; however, the benefits for spouses are expensive and the pay is low.
The transportation department at Springfield Public Schools is a good place to work.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOFebruary 14, 2015
In the transportation department at SPS your work day usually starts around 6 AM to 6:30 AM. The coworkers are all around good people to work with. However, there are a few to steer clear of. Management is typical. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the traffic on the streets. There are a few employees that are difficult to get along with; however, if you do not focus on these few individuals working for SPS Transportation can be a pleasurable experience. The most enjoyable part of my job is having an influence on the kids that ride my bus.
Pros
They are flexible to a degree. The people you work with are friendly.
Cons
A six hour work day takes up 12 hours of your day, the insurance is outrageously expensive, the pay is low.
Part-time hours with Full-time benefits
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MONovember 17, 2013
Though I learned more about managing multiple people the workspace was cramped and the fear of making the smallest mistake and being targeted by management for termination left a looming shadow of worry above every employee.
Pros
Fixed schedule, Summers "paid" off
Cons
Portion of check taken out for Summer pay, low hours