Springfield School District Employee Reviews

Springfield Schools
Library Clerical/Summer School teacher/Tutor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MONovember 14, 2018
Great place to work with lots of growth opportunity. I would recommend working for this company. Benifits, sick-days, pay is competitive with other school disticts.
Great School District to work for
Teacher Aide (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOSeptember 27, 2018
Its a great culture to work under. The teachers you get to work at Pipkin are amazing! I have learned so much and the training opportunities you get are the best!
Very stressful, over-challenging place to work with very little encouragement and support. I never knew what kind of behavior to expect from my charge
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Benjamin Franklin Middle SchoolAugust 26, 2018
I never knew what kind of behavior to expect from my charge, a young black boy with learning and behavioral problems. He would act out by trying to punch and kick and bite me and others. He threw objects, at times and tore up papers and other items, when he would go off. I received much criticism and very little support from staff.
Pros
Chance to help kids by interacting with them, one on one.
Cons
Dangerous job in which I was constantly in harm's way. Boring at times, overly exciting at other times.
Can be fun, but also very exhausting.
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Agnes Stewart Middle SchoolJuly 21, 2018
Working with kids is a very rewarding job and if I got paid through the summer, I wouldn't be looking for another job. I worked at Agnes Stewart Middle School and it is an amazing place to work. There are some great people that work there and they really care about the students.
A Day In The Classroom
SPECIAL EDUCATION ATTENDANT (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJuly 2, 2018
A typical day in my classroom included up to 13 students and 4 adults (the teacher, myself and 3 one-on-one attendants). The routine was the same every day, which is what children in a classroom due to their emotional diagnosis need. Every Thursday afternoon, the teacher held a meeting where the adults in the classroom collaborated and came up with ideas.

What I love about my co-workers is that they are passionate and serious about their work but they know how to keep the work environment loose and as stress-free as possible. Each one of these co-workers have their own strength that helps them thrive individually, but when combining the strengths of these people into one classroom it makes our team that much more dynamic. The classroom I work in has been called the best classroom of its type in the entire school district.

I have been fortunate to work with some amazing people and the good moments with children are the best moments in life. My favorite part of the job will always be going with the children to their gym class and playing basketball. I enjoy the paperwork as well. The hardest part of the job was managing behavior. Episodes of cussing, name-calling, screaming, hitting, kicking, biting, spitting and head-butting happen daily.
Relaxed and caring atmosphere
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Springfield, PAJune 17, 2018
My day begins at 8:30 and is over by 4. Teachers always leave detailed plans and are very organized. If I have any questions, I am comfortable asking other colleagues to clear them up and they are always willing to do so or find someone else who can. The hardest part of the job is not knowing which grade you will be teaching on any particular day. Classroom management can be tricky if the teacher does not have a clear set of expectations that she/he follows consistently, but for most classes this is not a problem. The most enjoyable part of the job is the kids. For the most part, they are eager to learn and glad to be there which is a reflection on the great teachers at SSD.
It's a different day every day.
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 10, 2018
Its a different day every day. All depends on what type if day the staffs and students is having. There no typical day when working with special educational students.
Good ol' boys club
English Department Secretary (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORFebruary 20, 2018
Confidentiality was not adhered to when I worked there. Upper management was corrupt, and if you didn't play their game, you were out. I was fired for insubordination, for working comp hours after I was told to do so. But when the bigwigs found out, I took the fall.
Always working ata different job site
Landscaper/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORFebruary 16, 2018
I loved this job. We always worked outside in the summer so even though we working I still got to enjoy summer. The hardest part of the job was hand shoveling truck loads of rock.
Pros
Sun!
Cons
Temporary job
Substitute custodian
Substitute Custodian (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ORJanuary 15, 2018
It can be difficult to transition to a permanent position. They worked hard to get me hours, often having me do other assignments, even during school breaks.
hard work with no appreciation
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORJanuary 3, 2018
i gave more then i should have. they let the supervisors do nothing, while the subs do their work. then they yell at you. lie to you. promise that there is lots of opportunity to be hired on
Pros
there are none
Cons
they need to hire people who want to work
The One Word I Would Use to Describe Substituting at SSD: Nice.
Substitute Instructor (Former Employee) –  Media, PAOctober 6, 2017
It is what you would hope and expect how a school district is managed. As a substitute, I'd check into the office, they'd give me my assignment and the classroom's keys. I'd enter the nice, clean class and find the lesson plans, attendance sheets, seating charts, etc. I'd have sufficient time to read them before students entered. And then I taught.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Maybe 3 of their students
Rewarding place to work
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maple, CentennialSeptember 28, 2017
Fun to interact and teach the kids. Off on all holidays and summers. The work was very rewarding to be able to teach children with learning disabilities to read. The staff was always appreciated by management. We had lots of pot lucks and always celebrated staff birthdays.
Pros
work schedule was great, people were great
Cons
not enough hours
Audio Visual Equipment Repair
Technology Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, PASeptember 20, 2017
Work with a team of around 10 people to ensure that all the audio visual equipment is set up for the upcoming school year. Also, I ran the wire to ensure all five school buildings had internet
Patience and love
Teachers Assistant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 19, 2017
Making sure kids are their to learn and that they have a safe environment to do it in. Getting kids off the bus and into the school for breakfast. Having morning meeting with entire school. Getting kids of to their class to start the learning experience. Then make sure they all have recess and lunch to refuel their system for more learning. Announcements at the end of the day and some time surprises for the kids that had a great day in each class. Then off to the buses and walking areas to be dismissed to go home.
Pros
watching kids grow and learning, improved behaviors
Cons
not enough consequences for actions
Typical Custodial Duties
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Springfield, PAJuly 11, 2017
At Springfield I would clean classrooms and hallways after the school day in order to prepare for the next day. duties included sweeping the floor, picking up trash, cleaning bathrooms, and other general custodial duties.
Pros
There's never a dull moment as Springfield
Cons
Working by myself
I loved my job though it's not the field I want to work in
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VTJune 7, 2017
A fun place to work mostly, and the students are always interesting. At the end of the day though it's the school system; a field where there is a lot of problems. If you can get past that you could not find a better place
Fun place to work
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VTApril 20, 2017
Nothing out of the ordinary for working at a summer camp. Normal stressors, but the reward of working with the kids is always a great benefit. Would recommend.
Learning experience
Special Education Aide (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 19, 2017
Working with the children in the special education classroom and the staff was very humbling. It taught me a lot about patience and the different forms of communication. Working with children brings a new emotion on the daily and every day is different.
Scenic Hills is/was conducive to great learning experiences for both children and adults.
Fourth Grade Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, PAMarch 23, 2017
Education and curriculum was constantly evolving for teachers and students alike. Rigorous standards were held for all.i enjoyed the familial work environment coupled with high expectations.
Pros
Great healthcare and friendly environment
Cons
Straddled life trying to be great teacher/great mom