Springfield School District Employee Reviews

Very stressful, over-challenging place to work with very little encouragement and support. I never knew what kind of behavior to expect from my charge
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Benjamin Franklin Middle SchoolAugust 26, 2018
I never knew what kind of behavior to expect from my charge, a young black boy with learning and behavioral problems. He would act out by trying to punch and kick and bite me and others. He threw objects, at times and tore up papers and other items, when he would go off. I received much criticism and very little support from staff.
Pros
Chance to help kids by interacting with them, one on one.
Cons
Dangerous job in which I was constantly in harm's way. Boring at times, overly exciting at other times.
Can be fun, but also very exhausting.
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Agnes Stewart Middle SchoolJuly 21, 2018
Working with kids is a very rewarding job and if I got paid through the summer, I wouldn't be looking for another job. I worked at Agnes Stewart Middle School and it is an amazing place to work. There are some great people that work there and they really care about the students.
Relaxed and caring atmosphere
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Springfield, PAJune 17, 2018
My day begins at 8:30 and is over by 4. Teachers always leave detailed plans and are very organized. If I have any questions, I am comfortable asking other colleagues to clear them up and they are always willing to do so or find someone else who can. The hardest part of the job is not knowing which grade you will be teaching on any particular day. Classroom management can be tricky if the teacher does not have a clear set of expectations that she/he follows consistently, but for most classes this is not a problem. The most enjoyable part of the job is the kids. For the most part, they are eager to learn and glad to be there which is a reflection on the great teachers at SSD.
It's a different day every day.
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 10, 2018
Its a different day every day. All depends on what type if day the staffs and students is having. There no typical day when working with special educational students.
Good ol' boys club
English Department Secretary (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORFebruary 20, 2018
Confidentiality was not adhered to when I worked there. Upper management was corrupt, and if you didn't play their game, you were out. I was fired for insubordination, for working comp hours after I was told to do so. But when the bigwigs found out, I took the fall.
Always working ata different job site
Landscaper/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORFebruary 16, 2018
I loved this job. We always worked outside in the summer so even though we working I still got to enjoy summer. The hardest part of the job was hand shoveling truck loads of rock.
Pros
Sun!
Cons
Temporary job
Substitute custodian
Substitute Custodian (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ORJanuary 15, 2018
It can be difficult to transition to a permanent position. They worked hard to get me hours, often having me do other assignments, even during school breaks.
hard work with no appreciation
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORJanuary 3, 2018
i gave more then i should have. they let the supervisors do nothing, while the subs do their work. then they yell at you. lie to you. promise that there is lots of opportunity to be hired on
Pros
there are none
Cons
they need to hire people who want to work
The One Word I Would Use to Describe Substituting at SSD: Nice.
Substitute Instructor (Former Employee) –  Media, PAOctober 6, 2017
It is what you would hope and expect how a school district is managed. As a substitute, I'd check into the office, they'd give me my assignment and the classroom's keys. I'd enter the nice, clean class and find the lesson plans, attendance sheets, seating charts, etc. I'd have sufficient time to read them before students entered. And then I taught.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Maybe 3 of their students
Rewarding place to work
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maple, CentennialSeptember 28, 2017
Fun to interact and teach the kids. Off on all holidays and summers. The work was very rewarding to be able to teach children with learning disabilities to read. The staff was always appreciated by management. We had lots of pot lucks and always celebrated staff birthdays.
Pros
work schedule was great, people were great
Cons
not enough hours
Audio Visual Equipment Repair
Technology Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, PASeptember 20, 2017
Work with a team of around 10 people to ensure that all the audio visual equipment is set up for the upcoming school year. Also, I ran the wire to ensure all five school buildings had internet
Patience and love
Teachers Assistant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 19, 2017
Making sure kids are their to learn and that they have a safe environment to do it in. Getting kids off the bus and into the school for breakfast. Having morning meeting with entire school. Getting kids of to their class to start the learning experience. Then make sure they all have recess and lunch to refuel their system for more learning. Announcements at the end of the day and some time surprises for the kids that had a great day in each class. Then off to the buses and walking areas to be dismissed to go home.
Pros
watching kids grow and learning, improved behaviors
Cons
not enough consequences for actions
Typical Custodial Duties
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Springfield, PAJuly 11, 2017
At Springfield I would clean classrooms and hallways after the school day in order to prepare for the next day. duties included sweeping the floor, picking up trash, cleaning bathrooms, and other general custodial duties.
Pros
There's never a dull moment as Springfield
Cons
Working by myself
I loved my job though it's not the field I want to work in
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VTJune 7, 2017
A fun place to work mostly, and the students are always interesting. At the end of the day though it's the school system; a field where there is a lot of problems. If you can get past that you could not find a better place
Fun place to work
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VTApril 20, 2017
Nothing out of the ordinary for working at a summer camp. Normal stressors, but the reward of working with the kids is always a great benefit. Would recommend.
Learning experience
Special Education Aide (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 19, 2017
Working with the children in the special education classroom and the staff was very humbling. It taught me a lot about patience and the different forms of communication. Working with children brings a new emotion on the daily and every day is different.
Scenic Hills is/was conducive to great learning experiences for both children and adults.
Fourth Grade Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, PAMarch 23, 2017
Education and curriculum was constantly evolving for teachers and students alike. Rigorous standards were held for all.i enjoyed the familial work environment coupled with high expectations.
Pros
Great healthcare and friendly environment
Cons
Straddled life trying to be great teacher/great mom
Great place to work.
Computer Repair Tech II (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ORMarch 6, 2017
SPS is a challenging but rewarding work environment. The work you do impacts so many people and it feels worthwhile to be doing it. The people you work with are all there to support and encourage you. Very happy to be here.
A great, friendly place to work.
Special Education Attendant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILOctober 30, 2016
An open, enjoyable environment in which staff work together to benefit students. Staff offer one another encouragement and support. Lots of fringe benefits like discounts on movie tickets.

I learned alot about the students and the students taught me about myself; for instance, that I'm sometimes not as resilient and open-minded as I thought I was. I'm learning how to handle difficult learning situations and how to balance rewards and punishments with students as well as how to establish a rapport with a student.

The hardest part of the job is handling my one-on-one when she is being extremely difficult. If I react too strongly this might actually exacerbate the situation, for instance.

Management at Jefferson Middle School is very supportive of the staff under them, and fair.
Pros
Benefits, mentoring, good pay
Cons
stressful at times
Typical School District
Substitute Classroom Attendant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJuly 18, 2016
District 186 is your typical school workplace. The school principals have wide leeway their facility operations. As a Substitute Classroom Attendant, I was in just about half of the district's 36 facilities. I saw some very well run schools and some mediocre schools. I did NOT see a poorly run school. Well run schools showed expectations from students and staff such as hallway travel, tardiness, and cafeteria behavior.
As is typical, the staff varied as well. I considered several teachers examples in best practices especially in time management. Others were disorganized and lacking in the classroom management.
The District had recently instituted PBIS behavior management including some portions of BIST. These results varied widely although the recent addition may have been a training issue.
The Superintendent recently asked for survey of public perception of District 186. I have provided an address to the results

The hardest part of my day was the beginning often going into a new location and staff.

I truly enjoyed working with students and showing them possibilities.