Square Enix Employee Reviews

pay is not so good, terrible work/life balance
Marketing (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CASeptember 11, 2019
Very old school/corporate - Lack of transparency - Strange department vs department mentality. Will take any chance to throw each other under the bus.
Good starter job, but not a lot of room for advancement.
Account Technical Support (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CASeptember 3, 2019
I learned a lot about dealing with people and time management during my employment at Square Enix. The pay is not the best and there can be a lot of mandatory overtime, but some of the benefits were good.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Quality Assurance Tester (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAAugust 15, 2019
The most enjoyable part of the job was not only working on it, but also seeing the final product. I learned overtime about being extremely detail oriented.
Decent workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAApril 24, 2019
You sit at a desk answering tickets and taking calls from customers about their accounts. If your not calling you should be answering chats. They frown upon breaks
Pros
cool lunch area
Cons
monotonous
Great second family
Event Specialist (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAMarch 26, 2019
Square enix makes you feel like you part of a family. They have good time and know how to balance work and fun. the management knows how to give instructions and allow the workers to get it done.
Pros
Fun
Good Place to start
QA Tester (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 1, 2018
A very good place to start since it can introduce you to the basics of QA but with no way to move up, its more of a stepping stone then permanent home.
Unorganized but a fun environment to work in
Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CASeptember 26, 2018
The work environment is fun and light, you meet new people all the time and there is hardly any tension between coworkers. A lot of rules were applied all at once, which dampened the work environment. Job security is wishy-washy. Not a lot of full-time opportunities at SE, but I've met some great people while working there. You have the freedom to dress how you like. Overall a pretty good place to work, if you don't mind frequent and unexpected change.
Gaming company with a long successful history
Senior Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  El SegundoAugust 23, 2018
Hard working atmosphere. Busy preparing for the numerous gaming shows that happen throughout the year. Rewarded for great work. Great perks. Equal opportunity employer.
Pros
Great location. Top game maker, producer and publisher.
Fantastic Work Atmosphere and Friendly Environment
Game Tester (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAMay 3, 2018
Working at Square-Enix was one of the most amazing work experiences I have ever had. The staff is incredibly friendly and accommodating, the work environment is stellar and they treat their employees as equals.
Fun
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 19, 2018
Working for them at PAX is amazing. No other booth at PAX is fun and enjoyable as Square Enix. The Staff members are fun to be around and they take care of us.
If you love video games...
Game Tester (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAFebruary 14, 2018
Not a bad way to start your video game career than as a tester at one of the companies at the forefront of the industry
I met a lot of great people whom I still am friends with 10 years later
Work can be mind-numbing and repetitive but being surrounded by fellow nerds who share your enthusiasm and passion for gaming is a plus
Perfect
QA TESTER (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAJanuary 8, 2018
Perfect place to work for gamers. Great people. Great managers. There's very little I can complain about. The biggest of which is the fact that I had to leave.
fun place to work, difficult to advance
Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CASeptember 28, 2017
You will probably get laid off after project before you make it anywhere in the company, but it is fun while it lasts. If you are a gamer you will find lots of fun like-minded people in a friendly atmosphere.
I Love this Job
Exhibitor (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAAugust 28, 2017
I wish I could get on with this company full time. Every Summer I work with them and I have a great time everyone if respectful and Nice...Two Thumbs from me
Productive days making video games.
Game Director (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 10, 2017
I assist in video game projects. I help give ideas for various projects. My dialogue and feedback gets uses in various square related projects and I influence who gets hired for voicing the characters and what makes the cut in the final product.
Pros
highly respected in the community
Cons
long distance commuting especially when going back and forth between california and new york
Best Ever!
E3 Rep (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAAugust 9, 2017
I love Square Enix. They have a great workplace culture and community. I mean from the time you walk in from interview you can see that employees are allowed to be themselves. Also who wouldn't love to say I work on Final Fantasy. All the mangers are great to work with and are very open to complaints and suggestions to make the offices a better place for everyone.
Pros
Free Square Enix Swag, Free game breaks to hop online for some FFIV Online
Cons
Did not see any
Fun laid back work place.
Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAApril 10, 2017
Normal work day consisted of playing through the assigned sections of a specific game testing for bugs. Managers were laid back since they were also involved with doing the testing. The whole workplace culture was fun and laid back since it was about video games. The hardest part of the job for me was getting the hang of what to look for when finding the bugs, so overall not actually that hard. The most enjoyable part was getting to play video games at work.
Fun environment but no guarantees
QA Tester (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CADecember 9, 2015
QA Testing at Square Enix was super fun and a great way to break into the gaming industry. The only downside is that they can not guarantee work for any period of time. They only have so many tester spots available for each game, and if your name isn't one of the lucky ones, you have to sit out. It's good to have a second job lined up if you work here, because gaps of a couple months are common.
Pros
casual environment, laid back management
Cons
no free food, only public parking available
Great place to get started
Information Center Specialist (Current Employee) –  el segundo, caOctober 13, 2015
Typical day at work (in the info center) involves talking calls, online chats, and doing email responses. A good chance to stay on and move up as long as the work is done correctly. Very quiet work environment, no meant for loud people.
Pros
Culture, coworkers, break room
Cons
Not the best pay
Disposable position with roulette chances
Game Master (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CANovember 25, 2014
When I first started I was like everyone, excited. As the months passed, I learned quickly that in order to advance you are really a lucky person. Many people come and go and people are disposed by the masses. that's the life of a contractor. The only real employees are the supervisors and managers. Everyone else is contractor, so roughly 95% of the workers there.
Pros
ping pong table to play on during lunch
Cons
not allowed to ANY Square Enix Employee parties, and they will always let you know you are NOT welcome.