Square Employee Reviews

Its Fun and Challenging
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA 94110October 11, 2018
It's fun working with like minded and driven people. Great location and vision. Going to be a household name. My only complaint is they have created a culture of yes in a world of no. Their inclusive style of business includes actions or behavior that would, sometimes, be frowned upon in other settings.
Pros
Fun, energetic people
Cons
Pay, Sense of entitlement
Hypocrisy
Customer Success Advocate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 11, 2018
If you don't like a two-faced company or managers who lie to your face - this is not the job for you.

What I got out of my time with this company is to never let your guard down - expect everything to be a competition.
Pros
Comfy work envoironment perks
Cons
Stressful and alienating
Job Satisfaction Depends on Department and Manager
Operations (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 5, 2018
I loved my coworkers! You can learn a lot about the multiple Square products if you seek it. The most enjoyable part of the job was my coworkers who were all a pleasure to collaborate with and work the hours with. The work environment and job satisfaction can vary greatly by the manager or lead that you work directly under. Compensation is less than the industry average compared to other tech companies.
Pros
free breakfast and dinner, great healthcare plans, commuter benefits, health & wellness re-imbursement, great coworkers
Cons
job satisfaction, work/life balance
Unbelievable Support
Customer Success Advocate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 26, 2018
My time at Square as a contractor was wonderful; however the role of a contractor was very competitive. Typical work day would start at 8 am and go to 5 pm. I learned a lot about (even more than I have ever before) about being empathetic. I'm usually a straight forward and to the point kind of person. The people and the culture were amazing.

However, we got a new team lead around my end of being at Square. I didn't feel as supported as I should have been by my lead and definitely felt as though they played favorites and wanted only those to succeed.
Pros
Free breakfast, great environment
Cons
certain management
Great Experience!
Business Development Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 11, 2018
I worked at Square for over a year and had a wonderful time. The company gives you so much in return for your hard work. They give you awards, flexible hours, and a environment that is like no other. They hire good people to be around and though I worked very hard and some days were longer than others I still looked forward to going to work every day.
Pros
Good environment, good coworkers, good management, good benefits
Cons
Cant think of any
Professional Services Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 6, 2018
- Most management is great, some can be a little bro-y
- Great benefits, but an education reimbursement would be nice
- Stock price is soaring
- Lots of new products, but a lot of competition as well
- Good culture that wants to help every merchant
- Very open discussions between teams
Fast paced company!
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 28, 2018
Fast paced company constructed of intelligent people! Everyone that joins has a huge learning curve. Company has a young feel, very San Francisco. Hard work but also a bit too many parties!
Great wrk atmosphere
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 18, 2018
Great wrk atmosphere. Love the layout of the office and how you arent confined to your desk. Your breaks reflect school breaks with opportunities to wrk from home in that time. Overtime offered
Pros
Free snacks, break fast, great technology, nice office
Cons
Low pay, only temp
Don't Wish to Provide One
Not Applicable (Former Employee) –  N Arlington, NJMay 4, 2018
I do not wish to provide a review at this time about my company. I would like to keep my views confidential. The "Rate this company" section is accurate.
Challenging but interesting
Accounts Payable Accountant, Payments Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 28, 2018
Square was a unique and challenging opportunity. I learned about payment processing, SaaS, and the E-commerce/Retail industry. Worked with the greater accounting and finance organization through many stages of the IPO process.
Pros
.Lunch, flexible hours, fun co workers
Cons
management restructuring, work-life balance
Very relaxed environment with yummy food
Contractor through Swoon (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 10, 2018
breakfast was provided before 9am, then starting the work day we would work on our assignment as efficiently as possible. It was a very relaxed place and I hated to have to leave due to a living relocation.
Pros
micro kitchens, free food
Cons
not working from home on the weekends.
Productive yet without significant social support.
Customer Success Advocate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 26, 2018
Square has a somewhat relaxed environment with lots of great options for food, and an overall friendly work environment.

Yet, Square created a structural culture of second class citizenship for contractors, making difficult the potential for creating community with full-time employees.
Pros
Free breakfast & dinner
Cons
Awkward atmosphere
Great managemtn and exciting team culture
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 7, 2018
The management is genuine about wanting their employees to develop and grow. They invest time in talent. The culture is fast-pace, but always fun. Going to work is somrthing one lokks forward too.
A career stepping stone
Square Cash Support (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 3, 2018
Square is best suited as a stepping stone for contractors to gain the skills they need to succeed in another company. Pay is somewhat on the low side for the market.
Square
Cash App Customer Advocate (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 28, 2018
Square is a team based company that allows you to show your competence and diversity. My typical day at work is conversing with merchants and customers and coworkers in regards to the Square Cash App. The hardest part of a job is when customers don't want to hear the outcome of the best solution provided when it comes to money transactions. The most enjoyable part of my job is making my customers happy and receiving thank you emails for being detailed oriented.
Pros
Integrity, Referrals, Via-Email, Hour Breaks, Organized, Professional, and Team Oriented
Cons
When customers are not tech savvy and their not able to talk over the phones to discuss their issue
Challenging and Collaborative
Business (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 27, 2018
We have a challenging and collaborative environment where the priorities are always changing. Makes it difficult to project manage and bring a job to completion.
stocked kitchens and "free" lunches
Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 21, 2018
My co-workers were awesome the management was not. They pay for most of your insurance. Relaxed work attire which is nice on those days you don't care about what you look like.
Pros
"free" lunch benefits
Cons
Great company, generous pay, outstanding benenfits, unique work environment, horrible job
Square Support (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 15, 2018
The worst job in my life. The training was only two weeks which nearly isn't enough time to process and apply the mass amount of information once you start taking calls. The management was a joke. Managers not only didnt take calls, but they were not even trained to take calls which makes no sense especially when they had one on one coaching sessions to improve call quality. How can a manager tell an employee how to do a job when the manager doesnt know how to do the job? Very stressful job which is why most people dont like working here. This job would only be good temporarily, but not for long. A job, but certainly not a career.
Pros
Pay, benefits, work atmosphere
Cons
Poor Management, Stressful job
Great pay, not worth the stress
Customer Support Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 3, 2018
They draw you in with the pay and benefits. When you actually start working after lackluster training, it’s super stressful. Managers play favorites, while claiming to be transparent when they are really sneaky. The STL office is the worse of the three support offices. The energy is so tense and negative because of the managers. Don’t expect to get an opportunity for advancement unless you’re friends with the managers.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Managers don’t know what we actually do, They’ve never been trained on the system. Favoritism is number one.
great people to work with
CAD/CAM Senior Printed Circuit Designer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 23, 2018
I used Altium for my CAD software. I started 2 years before they went public. After that it became to stressful. The work was challenging and rewarding.
Pros
interesting work. free breakfast, lunch and dinner
Cons
got to be to stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Square. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.8InHerSight Score

3.8Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight