Square Employee Reviews

Job Satisfaction Depends on Department and Manager
Operations (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 5, 2018
I loved my coworkers! You can learn a lot about the multiple Square products if you seek it. The most enjoyable part of the job was my coworkers who were all a pleasure to collaborate with and work the hours with. The work environment and job satisfaction can vary greatly by the manager or lead that you work directly under. Compensation is less than the industry average compared to other tech companies.
Pros
free breakfast and dinner, great healthcare plans, commuter benefits, health & wellness re-imbursement, great coworkers
Cons
job satisfaction, work/life balance
Unbelievable Support
Customer Success Advocate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 26, 2018
My time at Square as a contractor was wonderful; however the role of a contractor was very competitive. Typical work day would start at 8 am and go to 5 pm. I learned a lot about (even more than I have ever before) about being empathetic. I'm usually a straight forward and to the point kind of person. The people and the culture were amazing.

However, we got a new team lead around my end of being at Square. I didn't feel as supported as I should have been by my lead and definitely felt as though they played favorites and wanted only those to succeed.
Pros
Free breakfast, great environment
Cons
certain management
Professional Services Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 6, 2018
- Most management is great, some can be a little bro-y
- Great benefits, but an education reimbursement would be nice
- Stock price is soaring
- Lots of new products, but a lot of competition as well
- Good culture that wants to help every merchant
- Very open discussions between teams
Great company, generous pay, outstanding benenfits, unique work environment, horrible job
Square Support (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 15, 2018
The worst job in my life. The training was only two weeks which nearly isn't enough time to process and apply the mass amount of information once you start taking calls. The management was a joke. Managers not only didnt take calls, but they were not even trained to take calls which makes no sense especially when they had one on one coaching sessions to improve call quality. How can a manager tell an employee how to do a job when the manager doesnt know how to do the job? Very stressful job which is why most people dont like working here. This job would only be good temporarily, but not for long. A job, but certainly not a career.
Pros
Pay, benefits, work atmosphere
Cons
Poor Management, Stressful job
Great Experience!
Business Development Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 11, 2018
I worked at Square for over a year and had a wonderful time. The company gives you so much in return for your hard work. They give you awards, flexible hours, and a environment that is like no other. They hire good people to be around and though I worked very hard and some days were longer than others I still looked forward to going to work every day.
Pros
Good environment, good coworkers, good management, good benefits
Cons
Cant think of any
Depends on Your Team
Demand Gen Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 22, 2018
While the company's mission certainly drives all of its employees, working at Square can be a positive or negative experience depending on your team. The typical day-to-day is very meeting-heavy and the office environment can feel a bit immature. Square would benefit from having a greater diversity of age with its employees.
Pros
Free breakfast, subsidized lunch, free dinner and juice bar
Cons
Work/life balance is wholly dependent on your team
A company that cannot be better
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 23, 2018
This is the best company that I've ever worked for.
Great projects to work on.
Management DOES listen to employees' voice.
Nice work-life-balance.
Work is truly meaningful and changing people's lives.
Its Fun and Challenging
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA 94110October 11, 2018
It's fun working with like minded and driven people. Great location and vision. Going to be a household name. My only complaint is they have created a culture of yes in a world of no. Their inclusive style of business includes actions or behavior that would, sometimes, be frowned upon in other settings.
Pros
Fun, energetic people
Cons
Pay, Sense of entitlement
Great Snacks, lack of training and bag management.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 28, 2018
I would use my badge to get into work and there I would go upstairs to the kitchen and grab breakfast that they provided for us. Then I would go down to the main floor, put on my headset and turn on my laptop. I begin taking calls some maybe easy but some are difficult. Since we only had a 2 day training because they needed so much help we didn't have a chance to go over everything. When we need help the only thing we're allowed to do is message our supervisor whose sitting 15 ft away for further instructions, but he's confused hisself because he didn't get the proper training.At this point the customer is frustrated because you have them on hold for so long. Just a mess, the best part was the food sadly.
Pros
free food
Cons
need better structure
Challenging but interesting
Accounts Payable Accountant, Payments Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 28, 2018
Square was a unique and challenging opportunity. I learned about payment processing, SaaS, and the E-commerce/Retail industry. Worked with the greater accounting and finance organization through many stages of the IPO process.
Pros
.Lunch, flexible hours, fun co workers
Cons
management restructuring, work-life balance
Great Company/Poor Management
Email Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 13, 2018
Don’t waist your time due to poor management. The company expects high tendcys but hard when your bosses don’t know what they’re doing. Worst managers I have ever had in working.
Pros
Lunch/Okay Pay
Cons
Super poor management
Great pay, not worth the stress
Customer Support Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 3, 2018
They draw you in with the pay and benefits. When you actually start working after lackluster training, it’s super stressful. Managers play favorites, while claiming to be transparent when they are really sneaky. The STL office is the worse of the three support offices. The energy is so tense and negative because of the managers. Don’t expect to get an opportunity for advancement unless you’re friends with the managers.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Managers don’t know what we actually do, They’ve never been trained on the system. Favoritism is number one.
Good company
Logistics Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 24, 2018
Growing company with tons of smart people. It's better to be smart than hard working. Meaning it doesn't really matter how hard you work. You should do what you're good at or do what is needed.
Great managemtn and exciting team culture
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 7, 2018
The management is genuine about wanting their employees to develop and grow. They invest time in talent. The culture is fast-pace, but always fun. Going to work is somrthing one lokks forward too.
stocked kitchens and "free" lunches
Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 21, 2018
My co-workers were awesome the management was not. They pay for most of your insurance. Relaxed work attire which is nice on those days you don't care about what you look like.
Pros
"free" lunch benefits
Hypocrisy
Customer Success Advocate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 11, 2018
If you don't like a two-faced company or managers who lie to your face - this is not the job for you.

What I got out of my time with this company is to never let your guard down - expect everything to be a competition.
Pros
Comfy work envoironment perks
Cons
Stressful and alienating
Productive yet without significant social support.
Customer Success Advocate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 26, 2018
Square has a somewhat relaxed environment with lots of great options for food, and an overall friendly work environment.

Yet, Square created a structural culture of second class citizenship for contractors, making difficult the potential for creating community with full-time employees.
Pros
Free breakfast & dinner
Cons
Awkward atmosphere
Great company to work for
Talent Acquisition Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 7, 2017
Very strong engineering team, people are fantastic to work with, and generally collaborative culture that minimizes corporate bureaucracy. Leadership and teams strive to create an environment that is comfortable and inclusive to all in a genuine way.
Pros
Unlimited PTO, high stock compensation, high salary, very good health care
Cons
N/a
Square has a great culture that fosters growth, but it could be lacking.
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 4, 2017
Square is a wonderful company to work for. The culture of the workplace is fantastic. However it isn't as great if you are a contractor, as I was. The benefits are nonexistent. There is no job security. Though this may be the case, the people that work there make the work incredibly better. The people in support are fantastic and they made working there worth it.
Pros
Free Breakfast and Dinner, Free snacks
Cons
No benefits
Square was an AMAZING company -- Highly recommend!
Business Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 12, 2017
This company culture was undoubtedly unlike any work envoirment I have ever seen. Amazing stock option, benefits, and great lunch provided and catered in each day.

I was at the company nearly 9 mos, my son had surgery and I needed 2 weeks off. My manager at the time (was pretty new) -- said I could not be granted the time. :(

I was super said to leave such an amazing company, but very happy to have had the experience.

Thanks you all!
Pros
great people, advacement opportunity, company macbook provided, benefits, employee stock purch opt. etc.
Cons
not even a single one

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Square. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss