Square Employee Reviews

Great Place to work
CUSTOMER SUCCESS ADVOCATE (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 18, 2019
Square is a fast paced company where individuality is appreciated. As a customer success advocate, I would handle 40 to 50 calls a day from business owners who needed help using our products and software
A lean, responsible Silicon Valley giant
Software Engineer, Compliance Engineering (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 30, 2019
Square is a fantastic place to work, with a fantastic combination of responsible business practices, empathetic leadership, and talented coworkers. I love working here.
Square is what you make it
Cash Advocate (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 8, 2019
It has its perks as long as you do your job. Some of the leads aren’t that great, just hope to be on a good team. I work as a Cash Advocate and can only speak on that role.
A company that cannot be better
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 23, 2018
This is the best company that I've ever worked for.
Great projects to work on.
Management DOES listen to employees' voice.
Nice work-life-balance.
Work is truly meaningful and changing people's lives.
Great Snacks, lack of training and bag management.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 28, 2018
I would use my badge to get into work and there I would go upstairs to the kitchen and grab breakfast that they provided for us. Then I would go down to the main floor, put on my headset and turn on my laptop. I begin taking calls some maybe easy but some are difficult. Since we only had a 2 day training because they needed so much help we didn't have a chance to go over everything. When we need help the only thing we're allowed to do is message our supervisor whose sitting 15 ft away for further instructions, but he's confused hisself because he didn't get the proper training.At this point the customer is frustrated because you have them on hold for so long. Just a mess, the best part was the food sadly.
Pros
free food
Cons
need better structure
Good company
Logistics Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 24, 2018
Growing company with tons of smart people. It's better to be smart than hard working. Meaning it doesn't really matter how hard you work. You should do what you're good at or do what is needed.
Great Company/Poor Management
Email Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 13, 2018
Don’t waist your time due to poor management. The company expects high tendcys but hard when your bosses don’t know what they’re doing. Worst managers I have ever had in working.
Pros
Lunch/Okay Pay
Cons
Super poor management
Depends on Your Team
Demand Gen Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 22, 2018
While the company's mission certainly drives all of its employees, working at Square can be a positive or negative experience depending on your team. The typical day-to-day is very meeting-heavy and the office environment can feel a bit immature. Square would benefit from having a greater diversity of age with its employees.
Pros
Free breakfast, subsidized lunch, free dinner and juice bar
Cons
Work/life balance is wholly dependent on your team
Its Fun and Challenging
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA 94110October 11, 2018
It's fun working with like minded and driven people. Great location and vision. Going to be a household name. My only complaint is they have created a culture of yes in a world of no. Their inclusive style of business includes actions or behavior that would, sometimes, be frowned upon in other settings.
Pros
Fun, energetic people
Cons
Pay, Sense of entitlement
Hypocrisy
Customer Success Advocate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 11, 2018
If you don't like a two-faced company or managers who lie to your face - this is not the job for you.

What I got out of my time with this company is to never let your guard down - expect everything to be a competition.
Pros
Comfy work envoironment perks
Cons
Stressful and alienating
Job Satisfaction Depends on Department and Manager
Operations (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 5, 2018
I loved my coworkers! You can learn a lot about the multiple Square products if you seek it. The most enjoyable part of the job was my coworkers who were all a pleasure to collaborate with and work the hours with. The work environment and job satisfaction can vary greatly by the manager or lead that you work directly under. Compensation is less than the industry average compared to other tech companies.
Pros
free breakfast and dinner, great healthcare plans, commuter benefits, health & wellness re-imbursement, great coworkers
Cons
job satisfaction, work/life balance
Unbelievable Support
Customer Success Advocate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 26, 2018
My time at Square as a contractor was wonderful; however the role of a contractor was very competitive. Typical work day would start at 8 am and go to 5 pm. I learned a lot about (even more than I have ever before) about being empathetic. I'm usually a straight forward and to the point kind of person. The people and the culture were amazing.

However, we got a new team lead around my end of being at Square. I didn't feel as supported as I should have been by my lead and definitely felt as though they played favorites and wanted only those to succeed.
Pros
Free breakfast, great environment
Cons
certain management
Great Experience!
Business Development Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 11, 2018
I worked at Square for over a year and had a wonderful time. The company gives you so much in return for your hard work. They give you awards, flexible hours, and a environment that is like no other. They hire good people to be around and though I worked very hard and some days were longer than others I still looked forward to going to work every day.
Pros
Good environment, good coworkers, good management, good benefits
Cons
Cant think of any
Professional Services Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 6, 2018
- Most management is great, some can be a little bro-y
- Great benefits, but an education reimbursement would be nice
- Stock price is soaring
- Lots of new products, but a lot of competition as well
- Good culture that wants to help every merchant
- Very open discussions between teams
Fast paced company!
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 28, 2018
Fast paced company constructed of intelligent people! Everyone that joins has a huge learning curve. Company has a young feel, very San Francisco. Hard work but also a bit too many parties!
Great wrk atmosphere
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 18, 2018
Great wrk atmosphere. Love the layout of the office and how you arent confined to your desk. Your breaks reflect school breaks with opportunities to wrk from home in that time. Overtime offered
Pros
Free snacks, break fast, great technology, nice office
Cons
Low pay, only temp
Don't Wish to Provide One
Not Applicable (Former Employee) –  N Arlington, NJMay 4, 2018
I do not wish to provide a review at this time about my company. I would like to keep my views confidential. The "Rate this company" section is accurate.
Challenging but interesting
Accounts Payable Accountant, Payments Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 28, 2018
Square was a unique and challenging opportunity. I learned about payment processing, SaaS, and the E-commerce/Retail industry. Worked with the greater accounting and finance organization through many stages of the IPO process.
Pros
.Lunch, flexible hours, fun co workers
Cons
management restructuring, work-life balance
Very relaxed environment with yummy food
Contractor through Swoon (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 10, 2018
breakfast was provided before 9am, then starting the work day we would work on our assignment as efficiently as possible. It was a very relaxed place and I hated to have to leave due to a living relocation.
Pros
micro kitchens, free food
Cons
not working from home on the weekends.
Productive yet without significant social support.
Customer Success Advocate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 26, 2018
Square has a somewhat relaxed environment with lots of great options for food, and an overall friendly work environment.

Yet, Square created a structural culture of second class citizenship for contractors, making difficult the potential for creating community with full-time employees.
Pros
Free breakfast & dinner
Cons
Awkward atmosphere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Square. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss