SRC, Inc. Employee Reviews

Slow and steady completes the contract
EW Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 17, 2019
This is a job that requires a security clearance based on the materials handled. That should be explained at the outset. In my capacity as an EW Engineer, I had to categorize and analyze a number of systems for our government customers. I never felt a sense of urgency in my work however and that is the problem. I like to work fast and complete a task. That is not how this work is done, however, as there are so many fine details that need to be accounted for or our customer is not happy. If you like minutiae, this might be the job for you, but it drove me crazy and why I had to move on.
Nepotism, Favoritism, Clickish, Bullying, Verbal Abuse
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMarch 18, 2019
Worked in the Syracuse engineering group 5 years. They make very high tech products that are exciting to work with. It was good to know our products were helping to save soldiers lives.

Perhaps it’s better now , but at the time management in the engineering group was verbally abusive to staff. During meetings a young know it all engineer in the EW group was allowed to bully, harass, and verbally abuse other team members. One time the manager of the EW group asked us “ how are the slaves doing?”.

There is extreme favoritism, nepotism, military mentality. Never allowed to speak against orders, or have different ideas. They label anyone going to HR with harassment problems as a troublemaker.
Was never provided with the tools or equipment to properly perform tasks.

Extreme multitasking work demands. Management showed a very callous attitude towards employees. Poor training and documentation and lack of help and guidance. Not sure why this company gets such high ratings from others.
Pros
Provided very good benefits. High tech that saved lives.
Cons
Poor management, nepotism, favoritism, verbal abuse.
SRC is truly an amazing place to work.
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMarch 6, 2019
I have been with SRC for over 10 years now and have never once regretted leaving my previous employer. That employer was great - I was able to gain a wealth of knowledge and experience. But SRC is different. Joining SRC was like a breath of fresh air... SRC is a not-for-profit organization so we have the flexibility to properly support our customers and reinvest our earnings into Research and Development of new technology and products. Add the amazing benefits and culture, the sound executive leadership, plus a manufacturing capability, and SRC is truly an amazing place to work.

Typical day is challenging and fun! Culture and people are awesome!
Pros
Competitive salary and unbelievable benefits, we build some amazing things and work on cutting-edge technologies
Cons
They hold regular events where they serve food and these delicious cookies - I'm getting fat...
The pearl of Syracuse
Manager (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYDecember 17, 2018
If you can get your foot in the door, this is a great company to work for. It's not-for-profit, so the company is able to invest in equipment and training for employees rather than pay dividends to shareholders. Benefits include 10% of your salary (this is ON TOP of what you already make) towards retirement, and 4 weeks of paid time off when you start. They also offer a slew of other great benefits that I don't personally take advantage of like 100% tuition reimbursement, healthcare, dental, etc.

Working here also provides a level of job satisfaction in that you're helping people and our country. At the end of the day, if the benefits and salary aren't what motivate you, you can feel good that your contributions are making a difference in the world and helping save lives.
Pros
smart people, job security, stable company (60+ years)
Great Place to Work
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 26, 2018
Very employee friendly company culture. Awesome benefits (time off, retirement, insurance). A lot of resources to do your job. Very financially stable.
Fun work place ,great people
Variety (Former Employee) –  Palatka, FLFebruary 17, 2018
I love the job ,just had to move back to Jacksonville and I couldn't drive all the way to palatka and back so now I'm seeking for another job a soon as possible .
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No benefits
Corporate VS The Offsite
Site Administrator / ISSM (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 12, 2017
SRC, has a bad attitude when it comes to their offsite locations. The company as a whole promotes that promotion is based on who you know. The skills an employee brings will not help you move forward.
A change was committed recently that has pushed several talented people out of the company and others are upset about. I do not feel as though the company truly values its employees. Instead of properly being fair in reviews they don't care if Managers advised you to perform a task and you did it didn't matter.
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Managers no room for promotion
Excellent Company
Contracts Administrator (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 9, 2017
SRC is an excellent company to work for. There is an excellent work/life balance stressed. The compensation and benefits are wonderful. The flexibility I have in my job at SRC is like nothing I've ever experienced or will anywhere else.
Premier organization
Director, Security (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYFebruary 27, 2017
As a member of senior management, Director Security, I also was responsible for Project Management, Export Control, Facility Services and Safety during my tenure, which as the organization grew I was able to 'spin-off the ancillary duties and focused on the corporations security program.
Pros
Good place towork and grow with a solid management team
Cons
Location is a challenge
Solid company to work for - work can get boring and redundant
Electronics Warfare Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJune 30, 2016
I'm a systems analyst there at the Dayton office. Life involves a lot of joking around and reading PDFs, designing systems via a janky software, or writing descriptions for said systems. The work isn't too terribly difficult if you understand radar theory, it just gets boring. I'll read PDFs for a week straight, then spend a few days planning how I will design my system (fun part), then build it and write descriptions (monotonousness). As far as mgmt, our current manager is a good dude, but info doesnt flow up or down, so we have no idea whats actually going on outside our bubble - currently trying to change it. I feel like a get shot down when I suggest ideas which could make the group better from the manager - so there's that. The company is actually very Employee oriented and its nice to see the CEO come to the office and tell us what the company's goals are and how they are planning on getting there. Benefits are pretty good I guess - you get to select what coverage you want and it will show you the cost as your doing it. Like i said, relatively easy work and I get paid a good buck.
Pros
employee oriented, relatively easy work, casual work enviornment, great coworkers
Cons
job gets very tedious, info is hard to get from manager
Company with good intentions but growing too fast
Electrical/EW Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJune 9, 2015
SRC is a great place to get your career started. However, they are growing too fast, and management struggles to put people in the right position to succeed.
Great company if you need something stable and predictable. No innovation.
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 28, 2014
SRC is a great company to work for if the reason you get out of bed in the morning is to get a paycheck. They have some of the best salaries and benefits in the area, bar none. Even through tough economic times they have kept their benefits package pretty amazing. This will probably stay true for at least the next 5-10 years as long as you can avoid the layoff lotto. But ...

The leadership from middle to upper management has very little vision, or else very little knowledge at executing a vision. The whole company has been riding out some huge production contracts from 10+ years ago, losing money all the while (remember those great benefits?), with no ambition or innovative ideas finding a hold. A large chunk of the company seems to be just riding out the bank account waiting for their retirement. Disruptive technologies and ideas are met with blank stares at best, outright rejection at worst.

The recent RIFs are just the first sign of things to come. If nothing dramatically changes in the strategic vision and direction of this company, the trend will continue until things are back to a couple dozen RF engineers tinkering in the lab ... which seems to be the way they want it anyway.

Senior management had a visionary leader and let him go because he threatened their comfort level. They need to get some vision and REAL innovation, fast - learn how technological products are designed and brought to market in 2014 (not 1992), or hire some people who can teach them.
Pros
Great salary and benefits, amazing retirement matching, health insurance, vacation, and direct tuition billing (NOT reimbursement)
Cons
No innovative future, riding out short-sighted government contracts to keep getting paid
SRC is a great company to work for and to develop ideas
Principal Scientist (Former Employee) –  North Syracuse, NYMay 8, 2014
I worked at SRC for 14 years and had some of my most exciting and productive years as a scientist, innovator, and developer in my life. I was enabled by support from management and the ability to acquire, foster, and develop an outstanding team of scientists and laboratory setting to advance forensic capabilities into new realms.

The hardest part of the job was to ensure that my group was funded in the ever-tightening federal setting - where our colleagues in the government were having budgets cut. The company, however, did everything they could to support our/my efforts in obtaining funds.

I enjoyed the energy, the colleagues, and the vision that was at SRC.
Pros
Great support at all levels; fine leadership
Cons
not a con, per se, but I wish that US funding had continued; this would be a great company to still be working for!
Great Work Enviornment
INFORMATION SYSTEMS SECURITY MANAGER (Part Time) (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 19, 2014
Stable organization, great work environment, solid benefits
Poorly managed organization that is extremely Cliquish and resistant to change
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  North Syracuse, NYApril 17, 2013
This is an organization that could be much more than it is. The organization is extremely resistant to change. Many processes are undocumented and purely word of mouth in spite of having a set of documented processes that are ISO compliant. This company focuses on brining new graduates into the organization, but does not provide the oversight to ensure that the work they are developing is reliable or properly tested.

Sr. Management does not take responsibility to make sure that their staff is appropriately managing subordinates. In 30 years of broad industry experience, I worked for two the worst managers (both classic micro-managers with strong personal political agendas) in my career without recognition of the issues that they created.
Pros
very good benefits package
Cons
everything else
Exceptional work enviroment
Quality Technician (Former Employee) –  Endicott, NYMarch 27, 2012
This company believes in their employees and value what they bring to the table