SSAB Employee Reviews

Start up location
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MISeptember 25, 2018
Needs more than just ISRs in the office to feel whole as a company and secure with decisions being made on a daily basis. sSAB could truly grow if satelitte offices feel was gone.
great boss
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Axis, ALSeptember 17, 2018
I did like idea working there but it was hot and it was a little not what i was use to in material control so I thought with my ankle it was a blessing cause I wasnt liking it there.
Pros
great people
Cons
no cons
Full Time
Full Time (Former Employee) –  Axis, ALJuly 27, 2018
Days are always busy.
Learning every day.
Management is great.
Workplace is nice.
Friendly staff.
Helpful Management and Staff.
A thriving company with great global history.
The job
Steel Mill Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Axis, ALMarch 21, 2018
The hardest part of the job is dealing with the abrasive weather conditions. If it is hot outside, then add 10 degrees and that is how if feels inside. It is opposite if it is cold. You would subtract 10 degrees.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the precision required to do the job right.
Challenging work environment
IT Director, Enterprise Business Systems, Americas (Current Employee) –  Lisle, ILFebruary 23, 2018
Good place to work. Very lean. Variety of projects and opportunities. Opportunity to work with global counterparts. Overall a good working culture.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
lean staffing
Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  Muscatine, IAFebruary 4, 2018
Good place to work. I enjoy working there. But i am interested in relocating to a different state. Employees and bosses are very nice and is a safe place to work.
busy from start to finish
Overhead Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 12, 2017
inspect crane before use load and unload trucks and trains unload wood trucks find coils for staging and cutting to lenght for process hard part was standing all day walking no time to stop hot temp cold and hot
Pros
good benifits
Cons
no breaks early release
Safety
Shipping Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 3, 2017
The typical day would start with a safety meeting where we would go over a toolbox talk. When I left they we starting courses from the college from a government grant providing educational courses for the employees.
Pros
Pays for college
Cons
Lack of advancement
Terrible management but overall great place to work
Maintenance Operator (Former Employee) –  Axis, ALSeptember 24, 2017
Would have loved to stay there if it weren’t for the bonus structure and management. Fast paced work life and a lot of hours. Worth it when the bonuses were good.
Stressful company to work for
Maintenance Operator (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, IAAugust 12, 2017
Very stressful and not much time for family due to long hours and constantly working extra days, My manager doesn't handle the department well he procrastinates on things that need done such as hire to fill vacant job openings. Can not move to another department when other jobs are open
Pros
pay is good
Cons
company doesn' care about family time
lots of work to do
steel worker (Current Employee) –  Muscatine, IAAugust 11, 2017
Good pay, awful schedule. The company doesn't care about you as a person. You're filling a role. Everyone is very expendable. The schedule is a 12 hour work day, every other 2 weeks you switch from working days to working nights. There is no balance between home and work. The divorce rate is exceptionally high.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
schedule, you are always tired
Very nice coworkers and great team
Manager (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILAugust 11, 2017
SSAB is an excellent place to work. I felt my work was valued and the people I worked with genuinely cared about me and my family. They have excellent benefits and support employees in their roles of trying to improve processes.
Pros
Compensation, benefits, autonomy, goal setting, communication
Cons
I cannot think of any
Very poor management at Northport location
DRAFTSMAN (Current Employee) –  Northport, ALAugust 5, 2017
Not a very good place to work due to no organization and overall morale. Good benefits and nice having weekends off but that's the only good things. Pay is decent but will be asked to do things beyond your pay grade.
Pros
Good benefits, Weekends off, Good hours
Cons
No structure, No communication, Horrible morale, Workers not appreciated
in the beginning it was fun - now not so much
Inside sales (Current Employee) –  Township of Moon, PA 15108March 2, 2017
It is a man's world in that company. Females very, very seldom get promoted and no respect is shown from the junior employees to the seasoned employees. Employees are very critical of others and no matter if you have many years of experience, you DO NOT get respect from the rookies.
Pros
minimal travel
Cons
micro managers
Good Company
Lead IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILFebruary 21, 2017
Good company with great ethics. Less salary but good benefits with compensates.
Been with the company for 3 years and had a great team to work from top management. Pretty stable company
Pros
Good Atmosphere, Good people
Great Place to work if you can handle the conditions
Operator (Former Employee) –  Axis, ALNovember 30, 2016
The swing shift can be hard on the body, but the people are great. I would recommend this job for any individual that does not have children or sickly family that need them during working hours.
Old school
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAOctober 18, 2016
Steel mills are traditionally loud, dirty, dangerous work and this one was no different. Management was in silo's. Many old school practices were still in place.
Best place to work
Office Administration (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALSeptember 13, 2016
The best place ever worked. Smart people, work safe and do good work. They are really nice - nicest and most generous people I've ever worked with. Everyone looks out for each other.

A typical day at work is me going to my desk and doing my job. There is not a lot of looking over your shoulder and micro managing. We do our jobs and we enjoy the people we work with.

Management is great. You couldn't pick the managers out of a crowd of people standing around 9 times out of 10, because they don't throw their weight around and they act just like regular people. They're professional and good at their jobs, but they're chill and fun to be around. They're fair with their managing style.

Everything I just said can be said about my co-workers. They're nice and hard working.

The hardest part of my job is keeping up with the work, but everybody is supportive, and if you're pulling your own weight there is no real problem.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being around the people who work here.
Pros
The people who work here. The job security, pay and the benefits.
Cons
Long drive if you're not in north Mobile, but worth it.
good compavy overall
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Axis, ALMay 18, 2016
good company to work for. good benefits, overtime available, good management,great retirement, good safety record, treats employees fair, good pay and bonuses
Great Job
Envirormental Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 24, 2016
This was a great place to work. I learned a lot.I really got along well with management and co workers. I would recommend anyone to work there.