SSM Health Employee Reviews

Great Variety of Career Opportunities
Business Lead (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 23, 2018
I've been very content with my position(s) within SSM. The benefits are absolutely amazing. I've learned so many different avenues of the medical field and feel as though I'm a huge asset.
Pros
Benefits and the costs
I would recommend checking the location before applying
"Patient Access Representative" (Former Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOMay 22, 2018
I worked for SSM at DePaul Hospital in the Emergency Department and it was horrible. Management was extremely rude, sneaky and didn’t know much about the system. If you work nights just be prepared to be harassed and side-eyed by your own co-workers and nurses. Even though you may be doing a better job than your piers, management will fire you if you get on someone with seniority’s bad side. It’s a bad space and very conniving.
Pros
Patients are sometimes nice
Cons
See review.
Productive work place
Clinical Partner/Secretary (Sec/tech) (Current Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOMay 20, 2018
It is a decent company to work for. It is always short staffed and high turnover rate. Management is ok. Patients dieing. Seeing patients getting better.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
tough to get your lunch
Horrible Management/Shackleford Location
MA (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MOMay 20, 2018
The Shackleford location has absolute horrible management. The management were unfair in their treatment to certain employees. They did not pay enough for the amount of work required and there was no room for advancement. They were incompetent in areas needed for my department to thrive. Were very unsympathetic to personal life events. Very hard to request time off even months in advance. Showed favoritism. I won't say that most of these things were SSM as a whole but the Shackleford location is a nightmare to say the least.
Pros
Cons
Listed Above
Great place to have worked for. Great staff and great patients.
RMA (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 19, 2018
SSM is a great company to work for. The physicians are amazing and a great staff. Working for SSM was the best decision I made. You are not just an employee they made me feel like I was family.
Pros
The experience was amazing
Cons
No cons
Good company to work for but department is a little challenged
Certified Coding Specialist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 18, 2018
Overall. I have found SSM to be a decent company to work for. The pay seems fair, and in some cases is higher than other hospitals in the area. My main issues are with my individual department. Co-worker issues, management issues and location issues are what has led me to seek employment elsewhere.
Pros
Competitive pay
Cons
Sick leave policy, health insurance is astronomical
Major leadership issues in the St Louis Region
Inpatient Behavioral Health Social Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 17, 2018
While middle management was often adequate or even exceptional at times, those with the higher titles such as director or above often struggled with understanding day to day operations, ethics, and consistent /stable financial planning. Furthermore, it was known that different opinions and concerns were, at the end of the day, not welcome. Turnover and loss of fantastic employees continues to increase due to this issue.
A Victim of Their Own Policies
PC/LAN Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 14, 2018
SSM used to be a tolerable place to work, largely because of the generous PTO, however this no longer makes up for the inept managers across the system. I could go on for pages as to why this is but the answer is really simple: they do not offer performance based raises. EVERYONE gets the same percentage increase which has the effect of no one going above and beyond. Bare minimum effort is not only accepted, it is rewarded and promoted well beyond the Peter Principal.
Pros
Generous PTO
Cons
Everything else
employees not appreciated
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  MissouriMay 13, 2018
If you aren't a "yes man" you won't be successful. If you have an opinion about anything, you won't be successful. If you have an idea for a change you have to get management to think it is their idea for any chance of change.

SSM used to be a good place to work. Current "leadership' has ruined it
Pros
Pay is ok
Cons
management
Honor the Mission
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MO 63132May 6, 2018
What is taught in training are the bare basics of what is needed to perform your job.
Work materials (written and verbal) constantly change.
Dress/Grooming and multiple policies are not discussed in orientation, but at your work site weeks later.
Management is not flexible with grace periods due to emergencies, traffic and etc.
Holidays hours subtracted from your Personal Time Off account.
Pros
Being employeed
Cons
Short or no breaks
Comfortablework area
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baraboo, WIApril 24, 2018
I enjoyed working at ssm health. I would like to return. Room for advancement. Christmas bonuses. Simply insyrance plans, reasonably monthly premiums. Avaiability of short term dis.
Pros
Mgr understanding
Cons
Buy out
Nice place to work
Medicare Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 23, 2018
I loved working here but the pay was not very good. I needed more money so I left for a better paying job. Loved my manager. It was an awesome place to work.
Registered Nurse/Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Maryville, MOApril 20, 2018
What a great small city place to work! I work in OB and at night it is you and one other nurse; we are in charge of labor, post-partum, and neonates. So I very much enjoyed the variety. It is also very easy and common to orient to other departments.
Great place to learn
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  St. Charles, MOApril 15, 2018
SSM hands down had the best interview experience. I was offered a position within a week of applying. I entered an RN residency program and was trained in class/in hospital with great nurses for 4 months. SSM also offered me the highest compensation in the area as a graduate nurse. It is a great place to learn and start a professional career. During high census times or when a floor has had an exceptionally hard day the management brings around snacks for the healthcare staff. Seems like they use food to celebrate every occasion and I can't complain. The hardest part so far is night shift, but that's the position I was offered. SSM's hospitals are a bit older, especially the one I work at -- I feel like they could update their technology a bit more and have nicer work spaces for us. Other than that, I love working for SSM.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Outdated technology, 3 year contact for training
Productive safe enviornment
Corporate Cash Poster (Current Employee) –  Creve Coeur, MOApril 7, 2018
SSM is a good place to begin your career. This establishment provides many opportunities to enhance an grow a person's skills and knowledge. SSM provides learning labs to their employees.
Pros
Great place to begin a career.
Cons
Not having flex time
productive, fun envoronment
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 6, 2018
I like working with SSM Health but I feel that my tenure does not match my pay. I feel as though SSM Health could pay they're employees namely Medical Assistants a bit more in pay than what they offer and make room for more advancements in the company. But overall its not a bad company to work for.
Pros
free lunches, able to take breaks when needed.
Cons
management shows favortism, office is large but it's divided in some ways
The language spoken says we care about people but the follow through does not show that.
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Mexico, MOApril 3, 2018
The language used to notify workers is basically do it or turn in your resignation. I left the hospital working full time, went to a clinic taking a large pay cut because there would not be any 12 hour shifts or weekends. Now we are told you will work weekends and 12 hour shifts and there is no pay increase to previous levels.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Supervisors
Picu
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 3, 2018
As a bedside nurse at Cardinal Glennon, you are required to know a lot about the general PICU population as well as the cardiac population. I started here right out of nursing school and I can not imagine a better place to start and grow. I was pushed and challenged every day and my time management skills were greatly improved. I will be forever grateful that I had the experiences I did at SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital.
Pros
Wide variety of patients, challenged every day, great team work
Cons
Management was not always the most caring
Registered Nurse
Telemetry Nurse St. Louis (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 2, 2018
SSM has been supportive of my career goals. I started off in the ICU and have advanced to many areas within the network. I also started off as a full-time employee. However, I obtained my MSN as a FNP and had to go to prn. A typical day is busy on a cardiac unit but you learn to survive because you know its all about your patients in the end.
Always changing
Nurse (Current Employee) –  MissouriMarch 29, 2018
I love my co-workers, but it is a common discussion amongst staff that everything feels very "knee-jerk" in reaction, instead of being proactive. The management speak of work-life balance, but when it comes down to reality, it doesn't seem to be valued.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SSM Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.7

2.4Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight