SSP America Employee Reviews

Long hours with no breaks
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 19, 2018
I worked as a cashier 10 or more hours a day with no breaks not even for the bathroom. If you were a cashier you could not go home until the person who is scheduled after you comes and takes your spot and sometimes they would not show up and I’d wait hours after not getting a break for someone to come. They were understaffed and at times I would have to cashier at multiple locations because people call out so much. Managers were no help at all the team would just have to fend for themselves. Managers had a lot of favoritism and would start drama and talk about other employees behind their backs. The only plus side of working here was the tips and the amazing people I worked with.
Pros
Great tips and amazing coworkers
Cons
Management, long shifts, no breaks
Amazing Place To Work
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 18, 2018
Ssp america is the best company you can ever work for. Nice environment , great management , great work space and the pay is great. Highly recommended !
Productive and fun place to work
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 12, 2018
Ssp was a good company overall I
Yes I would go back to work fo r them again. They have great customer service skills and is very helpful in the food industry
Pros
Discounted lunches
Cons
Clocking out for break systems
not a good place to wrok
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Raleigh-Durham, NCSeptember 9, 2018
not a great place to work mangers not organized and if you are manger you take advantage and no advancement if manager does not like you and the peple their are snobby
Love my team
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 8, 2018
I have worked at other airport concessions and ssp far and away has the most hard working and helpful managers. When we are short they are always there for us for as long as it takes to get through the shift.
The food is wonderful and we frequently appreciated with free meals . Great culture of teamwork
Pros
Cons
People not showing up to work
very fast paced
Hostess/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 7, 2018
if you enjoy working in a very fast paced restaurant this a perfect location to work at. Everyday is always a new day and you rarely ever have any down time.
Ouh lawd!!!
Cook (Former Employee) –  Orlando International Airport, FLAugust 6, 2018
Stay away please!!! You've been warned. This company is what nightmares are made of!!! Apply with bible in hand. Prayers to the all mighty are to be resighted before and after!!! A pastor or priest should be present when applying!!!
Pros
Team crew
Its ok.
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 1, 2018
The terminal where I work is big. The people I work with are pretty good . The business itself is ok. Could be better. But like any job it has it's ups and downs.
Pros
Discounts on certain items
Cons
No comment
cool place
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 31, 2018
I enjoyed my time with sspa they showed me a lot like how to be a good and positive kitchen manger. They also help me be able to train my employees to be profitable
Horrible work conditions
Multi-Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 25, 2018
Hours where horrible. Management was horrible, Work conditions were horrible, no integrity, treated poorly, spoke to poorly. It is not a company you ever want to work for. They treat you very poorly.
Pros
Cons
everything imaginable, it was a very bad company to work for.
Good Hours
Utility Worker/warehouse (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 18, 2018
Good hours. Pay was not bad but can better. If you like the union it would be a great fit for you.if you dont mind the airport it wont be bad for you .
Fairly,new company, still figuring it out.
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 12, 2018
It can be great place to work, some managers professional, but what liked about it was fun place to work, fairy new company in Tampa area, still trying yo figure out kinks.
Pros
Cons
Msnagement no top notch
bad job
Facilities Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 28, 2018
Would not recommend working here. The commissary was dirty and the management is uncaring. they do supply you with a lunch each day. If you can call it that. It was what ever left overs they had to get rid of.
12 hour days most days
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 21, 2018
The employees have a union, this protects them from bad managers.
The employees can call off by email two hours before there shift.
This leads to short staffing.
On multiple shifts I was the dishwasher and cook. for a 3 cook line and a 2 person dish room.
Pros
It was a very stressful and fast-paced work environment
Cashier/ Barista (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJune 21, 2018
I honestly believe I would have stayed at this employment had it not been for the travel time. The employees and manager seem to work well with what they have but I seriously think that there could be some room for improvement when it comes to taking care of the employees that work there every day. However, I did learn a lot about the food industry and customer service. The best part of the is probably the benefits if you stay with the company long enough to receive them.
Pros
Meal card discount
Cons
Shortest breaks
Horrible company to work for (ORD Location)
Server (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 18, 2018
Manegment was bad. Didn’t know what they were doing themselves. Company opened a new restaurant but didn’t have all the materials needed. IE silverware, cups, condiments etc
Purgatory
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 18, 2018
Extremely low pay, extremely unusual hours, next to no supervision, and complete ability to basically whatever you want. I would recommend working here if you want to do what ever you want while at work and get paid a very paltry salary for doing it.
Dont waste your time
Server (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 16, 2018
I've been looking for another job there are days we don't get breaks not enough workers to cover the shift plus are over worked with no appreciation. The managers don't care about you or your personal life hours sucks and never get off on time.
Pros
Drink soda and water for free
Cons
No breaks long shifts over worked not enough staff
So Sad..
REGIONAL HR OPERATIONS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 11, 2018
Company grew too fast in CA and hasn't quite figured out how important HR is to their overall success. Managers are all very pleasant to work with, however everyone is very underpaid (except for the Director). Feels a little like a "pyramid scheme" because the top makes all the money and bonuses and the bottom is pushed very hard just to earn the bare minimum.
Pros
Good People - Fun Environment
Cons
Union Environment - out of control
Alright
Cook (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 8, 2018
Your day depended on which manager you got. Many people dont care for the job so they dont take it seriously. It gets stresful and sometimes its dead so

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SSP America. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.8InHerSight Score

1.3Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

1.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight