SSP America Employee Reviews

exciting
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 30, 2018
cool place to work at .working in a airport environment was great different people everyday phx also has a airforce base so u get to see fighter jets take off and land as well as commercial flights
Productive and team efforts
Barista (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 27, 2018
Hard work pays off. Team work and they help with life skills. The also are a great team of employees. They give you free lunches on days that you work.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks and favortism
Ssp lets the lazy workers do nothing and the hard workers do everything, lack of management.
Utilities Worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 21, 2018
I used to love working for ssp until I got bereated every day by a certain manager for not working for 3 co-workers jobs every day. God bless ssp America, I would love to come back to four Peaks. Thanks
Pros
Free food
Cons
Working bu muself
fun work inviroment
Restaurant/ Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San DIego CAMarch 17, 2018
Its great place to work at. everyone is good to work with , they help you out and have many different hours to work o fits great for all people. I did not want to leave.
Pros
Free lunch
Little Pay, little adavancement
Data Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lansdowne, VAMarch 5, 2018
A typical day involves using software that crashes regularly

There aren't any real standards for work

Hard to get fired

Underpaid, if paid at all
Pros
hard to get fired
Cons
you work with people that are hard to fire, and their work shows it.
Upper management is horrid
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 5, 2018
I am sure that other SSP locations are probably not run the same way, but wow it was not how I thought a major corporation would run things. I would work for another location but never again at PDX.
productive workplace
Customer Service Representative, cashier (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYFebruary 26, 2018
one of the main responsibilities as a cashier is to count money in cash drawers at the beginning of shifts to ensure that amounts are correct and that there is adequate change but the most enjoyable part of the job was sometimes sacrificing customer service for conversation which made time goes by faster. The hardest part of the job is when there is a delay among a few airlines because at that time passengers are very frustrated and confused so you have to be very kind and polite to them.
Pros
employee discount on lunch
Cons
20 minute break
Very fast pace environment
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 25, 2018
Alot of growing and successful open minded people wprk here its fun and u get to met alot of people do to the fact its in the airport this also means there is a lot of ways to movie up to higher paying jobs
Pros
Its a job
No Appreciation
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYFebruary 18, 2018
Best reason to work here as a supertor manager you get $20 a day to eat at any restaurant in the terminal. You can't have premium items like Steak or seafood.
You are not appreciated by management. As a supervisor and manager you are not appreciated by the Ops or directors who sit upstairs at their desks. They will see you working hard with minimal staff sometimes no one at all just the manager and not care about the situation.
Pros
$20 for Lunch
Cons
No Appreciation for Managers and supervisors. No Staff!
SSP America Utility Midway Airport
Utility (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 12, 2018
Deliver product to restaurant that has been requested from the storage.
Working on a tight schedule.
Management can improve as well as more informative toward changes.
Working within a small area while in a fast pace.
Friendly co-worker.
If you are looking for work opportunity, I would avoid
Porter (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYFebruary 12, 2018
I currently work at Terminal 7 for SSP and I must say that the period I have worked here has been the absolute worst. Management clearly show that they have no prior training or focus for the tasks at hand. I currently go to college and this job wouldn't accommodate me or anyone that goes to school. They want you to work here forever with no future ahead. Also. working hard here will reward you absolutely squat. If you are a sane human being and want to get promoted or recognized as a hard worker, i would steer clear from this place.
Pros
Union benefits, 401k
Cons
Bad work environment, Horrible Management, No accommodation
Alright company to work for. Needs new management
Host (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 8, 2018
The management over at SSP needs to be looked at and dealt with. I have personally experienced a manager that is unpleasant and rude when speaking to me. I have also heard accounts of managers demeaning their employees, and even rumors of people getting fired because they complained about one of their managers.
One of the busiest airports
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 2, 2018
Work environment was very fun and friendly. Management was very good at handling all situations. Workplace culture very diverse and multi cultured. The hardest part of the job was not being able to keep everyone happy. The most enjoyable part of the position was meeting people for all across the world.
Pros
Wonderful work environment
Cons
Didnt know what time you will be leaving
Fast-Paced work, but terrible environment.
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 30, 2018
For the most part, I did not enjoy my time working for this company. My co-workers were very difficult to work with and my managers ignored the obvious issues.
Pros
Discounted Meals, diverse customers/employees, secure environment
Cons
Slow environment during winter time, short breaks, poor management
Fast paced extremely busy environment
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 30, 2018
Overall a good job, benefits and compensation were fine. Extremely early hours made it a difficult work/life balance. Overall a good learning environment for experience in the front and back of the house
Pros
benefits, compensation
Cons
hours, support
Perfect for hourly employees that cannot hold a job anywhere else
Server (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 27, 2018
There is zero culture here. The only thing counts is money put into the pockets of SSP without the care of the employees or guests alike. As a manager you are stuck and cannot discipline any employees brought on antenna produce or even show up for their scheduled shifts. If you pass your background check you are assured a a job without having to produce maintain normal business culture and functions. It is a very toxic and stressful environment. there is absolutely zero support or respect from upper management. If you are one of those employees that keeps getting terminated from other jobs and can land a job here you have found a home but at the cost of the other good employees
Pros
I make my own hours and only work when I want to
Cons
Zero support from upper management
Productive and generally fun place to work, very busy
Accounting/Finance/Treasury (Former Employee) –  Lansdowne, VAJanuary 22, 2018
Like a lot of companies, starts out comfy and cozy, but eventually evolves into something less desirable. Should be fun in the beginning but usually ends up wanting more.
Overview
Concessionaire Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 22, 2018
This company is a piece of work. They hover over you as if you don´t know how to do your job. They consistently cut hours without no remorse. They need to reevaluate the way they run things.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Its fun to work there
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 16, 2018
Ssp can get better but its not right at this time they do not have everything in order its a good job to start off but I think its just something until u find something better with a career...
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
30 mins breaks
Starting job
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 16, 2018
Not a great place to be career wise but for fast cash it’s great.somedays you only work 4 days some week I only work 3 days. this company is a good stepping stone for anyone who just leaving high school
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Poor management down to the supervisor

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SSP America. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
1.8

1.3Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

1.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight