St. Clair Hospital Employee Reviews

Look elsewhere...
Patient Escort (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 12, 2019
The transport department used to be a nice, relaxed job. Sure there would be very busy times, but I never found it too stressful. They've since hired a different lead to run the department, and it's gone downhill quickly. I've never seen so many people quit because of one person. The morale of the remaining employees is miserable. Everyone hates their job, and most are currently looking for something else. It's hard to deal with a supervisor that is so confrontational, without even having a clear understanding of the job. A few employees' hopeful advancements in healthcare have been halted due to unfair disciplinary actions, and poor reviews. It's a shame to have seen so many good workers leave for the reason they have, and until something changes, many more are on their way out the door.
Pros
Good location.
Cons
Low pay. Management.
Not worth it
Patient Escort (Former Employee) –  Mt. Lebanon, PAApril 11, 2019
When I first started in the escort department we had a really nice and understanding lead escort who was willing to work with everyone’s schedules. He has been gone for over a year now and who replaced him is rude, overbearing, stubborn, and short fused. He only gives the escorts negative feedback and makes up rules as he goes along. Then will forget said rules and denies conversations he has with employees even happening. And won’t respond to emails.
Every woman in this department has left his office crying at some point and many have quit because they don’t want to deal with him. (12 to be exact) Having a conversation with him is exhausting and it’s obvious he doesn't know what he is doing or how the teletracking system works.
Generally I like the escort department, my coworkers are friendly and helpful. The benefits aren’t bad. But we have been consistently understaffed and they can’t seem to bring in enough new employees to replace the ones that are being scared away by the lead escort.
Pros
Benefits and friendly coworkers
Cons
The management
Great benefits, Pay, Hours. Terrible Management in Dietary
Food Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 19, 2019
The outside company that runs the kitchen treats employees like dirt. They sit in their office all day without even knowing what goes on in the kitchen. In fact, I bet none of them know what everyone even does. Everyone hates them and wants to quit. I've seen this company go through 10 different managers for 3 positions in 7 years. These ones will be going too. They are worthless. Can't stress that enough.
Pros
Free food, good pay, overtime
Cons
Bad Kitchen Management from outside company
temporary work via agency
Physician Assistant locums tenens (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 7, 2019
I found this a great working environment. Nice staff. Very helpful. Was a good structure with good patient flow. Great hospital within Pittsburgh. Would work there again
Management not in tune with the needs of the employees.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 6, 2019
Shift in emphasis on expansion rather than patient safety, quality care and employee satisfaction has produced a high vacancy rate in nursing. Experience is not valued and mediocre is acceptable.
Pros
Discounted meals for employees in cafeteria and free parking.
Cons
High staff vacancy rate
Review
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 1, 2019
My typical day at work in the hospital is rewarding but very physical and mentally challenging. I have learned that higher management may or may not back the nurses and do not actively ask for our opinions on decisions that they make. The workplace culture is very good in the department I work at as we back each other up.
management
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Mount Lebanon, PAOctober 23, 2018
This company is more business oriented than employee focused. The upper management theory is "everyone is replaceable". The turnover rate in operating room management is very high and does not ensure much security to say the least.
Excellent benefits
RADIOLOGY MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 19, 2018
Excellent benefits and salary. Communication to employees fairly good although lacking in mid management. Understaffed at times forcing staff to work harder--always raising the bar.
Cons
Understaffed at times
Flexible work hours
Patient Escort (Current Employee) –  Mount Lebanon, PAJuly 2, 2018
My experience at St. Clair Hospital overall is generally good. They work with you and your schedule if you are involved in things outside of work like school or groups you are in. If they are able they do their best to make your schedule work for you. The coworkers are friendly and easy to get along with. If you need help someone is usually willing to lend a hand if they are available. It is difficult however to meet the numbers the expect of us sometimes due to delays from having to wait for the nurses to finish up with patients before we can take them, or waiting for a while to get onto an elevator, especially if one or more elevators are down at a time, and everyone in the hospital has to use the few elevators that are still working. The most enjoyable part was how everyone in my department is willing to help one another if one person can't find help sliding patients onto the gurneys. Also, most of my coworkers are willing to switch shifts with one another as long as both are able to make it work.
Pros
decent hours, friendly work environment, free lunches on holidays, flexible work schedule
Cons
not great pay
good experience
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 20, 2018
it was a typical non monitored floor, it was busy. It was a 23 bed unit and there was always something to be learned. There was a high turn over rate on that floor, however, it had the potental to be what you made it.
The best place that I ever worked
RN (Former Employee) –  Mount Lebanon, PAMay 24, 2018
Hands down the best hospital in the area and the #1 place to work; I only left for a FT position that was work from home, otherwise I would probably never have left. The people truly make it a wonderful place.
Pros
the people
Cons
n/a
Very Helpful
Internship in IT (Former Employee) –  St.ClairApril 16, 2018
They provide detailed relevant experience through an internship assignment. All staff were knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. They are considerate to clients and work hard and walk through their job process.
Pros
Valuable learning experience
Cons
Unpaid internship only
Great learning experience
Surgical Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 13, 2018
As a fairly new surg tech, I learned a great deal here. Most of the surgeons were fine with answering any questions I had and offering to teach. The other techs were polite and helpful in my training.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Read the fine print on policies
Good team work.
PT/OT escort (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 10, 2018
All coworkers were supportive and willing to show me technique due to I was still in school for PTA. Supervisor was always unavailable to discuss to further my position .
Pros
lunch free.
Cons
worked on weekends.
St.Clair Hospital
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Upper St. Clair, PAMarch 22, 2018
St.Clair Hospital is a great place to work. Management is involved and the department runs smooth. Staff is a little less accepting of new hires but once you get to know everyone they are great. Pay was more then i'm making now working for High-mark/ AHN. I think tha'ts because they are still privately owned. Hardest part of the job is getting the hang of everything as a whole, buts that's hospital life in general.
Overall great place to work. Would have never left if i didn't relocate.
Pros
Pay, Management
An enjoyable place to work
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 21, 2018
I worked with an amazing group of ladies. We were always busy,but everyone was willing to help. I learned more about how to be more effective by using the Toyota method, I use this in my daily life to this day. The hardest part of my job would be learning everyone's job and trying to become proficient in the all, but somehow you manage to do it, with the support from the team. it was one of my favorite places to work.
Pros
Wonderful Co-workers
Cons
Somedays we can get very over crowded
best overall hospital in area
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 1, 2018
Absolutely loved my job. Loved the environment at St Clair. The doctors and nurses are all wonderful to be around and would recommend this hospital to anyone looking for work if you can get them to interview you.
Pros
environment
Nice hospital to work at
INSURANCE FOLLOW-UP ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Upper St. Clair, PAFebruary 28, 2018
I enjoyed my time at St Clair, only left for higher paying position as no room for advancement as a newer employee. Co-workers were great, nice lunches, boss was lacking but friendly. Good 401k, pay scale ok, but could be a smidge higher given hospital is doing very well, relaxed work area that was quiet.
Pros
nice work environment
Cons
limited PTO, have to wait a while as new employee for advancement opportunities
good hospital to work for
escort department (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 2, 2018
good working placed employees are willing to help each other, busy department sometimes difficult to get help on the floors with assisting with the patients
Pros
enjoyable group of people to work with
Cons
sometimes minimal help on floors to transfer patients
Okay place
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 30, 2017
The doctors were nice and most of the co-workers. There is no advancement in administrative position and not paid appropriate wage. And employees could only go to doctors under St Clair on their insurance plan.
Pros
Nice Director
Cons
Low pay, no advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Clair Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.