St. Croix Hospice Employee Reviews

Making an impact each and every day.
Sales (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaJuly 17, 2018
St. Croix Hospice is an incredibly rewarding organization to work for. Daily we have an opportunity to impact the lives of many patients and their families through providing information and education that will help guide them towards the individualized care that they desire.
The culture is ever-changing and like many industries, there are obstacles to overcome. This is a fast paced, growing company that strives to provide the highest level of care in each of the communities that we serve. Teamwork and commitment make up the core of this Organization.
Pros
Opportunity to gain fullfillment in your day to day work. Advancement opportunities.
Great Company and Care about our Patients!
Care Transition Coordinator (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaJuly 17, 2018
I absolutely love my job here at St. Croix Hospice. Lots of flexibility being a Care Transition Coordinator especially when it comes to family. Management really cares about their employees. Can be very busy at times but some days may be slower, it's really what you make it to be. Love being able to come up with different marketing ideas/strategies with other coworkers. Salary could be better though.
Pros
Helping people! Teamwork. Flexibility
Cons
Salary
St. Croix Hospice is very rewarding!
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaJuly 5, 2018
St. Croix Hospice is so rewarding to work for. The work that is done being a RN Case Manager is above many. We get to provide comfort and compassion to those patients and families during such a delicate time in their life. You become like family to some of your patients. Having a good work/life balance means keeping good boundaries with your patients/families along with managing your time well. I have worked here for over 6 years and feel I was able to receive a good work/life balance by managing those two things well. There is flexibility the the job but also have to know there is a job that needs to be done and the patients are of priority. If you want a rewarding career, please check out St. Croix Hospice!
No repremand for any people that were loud and late for work constantly and leaving early
Quality Assurance/Compliance (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, MNJuly 3, 2018
This company interviewed me in early April, hired me in early May, and eliminated my job position in early June when I told then that I needed a day off because I had to have a doctors appointment for a follow up on an aneurysm back in November of 2017.
Pros
I thought it would be a good fit for me
Cons
They proved me wrong
Terrific place to work, very supportive
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Oakdale, MNMay 4, 2018
St. Croix Hospice is a terrific place to work. The leadership is very supportive and I look forward to coming to work. My manager encourages asking questions and making suggestions.
Pros
great leadership

Comment – May 7, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. It's great to hear that you feel supported, and we encourage you to continue asking questions and making suggestions!

Toxic workplace, no teamwork
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  IowaMarch 10, 2018
I have worked in the Hospice field for over 10 years, and this is the worst company I have ever worked for. There is no teamwork and when census goes down, clinical teams and marketing turn on one another. For nurses, there is no
work life balance. Salaried employees are expected to 50-60 hrs per week. If census is low, they will force employees to work for another office and leave your family for days. If you bring up concerns with management, we were told, ‘If you don’t want to be here, leave’. They have cut back hours on hourly employees and reduced the amount of supplies for hospice patients in an attempt to save money. This used to be a good company, but they no longer value their employees.
Pros
Good insurance, Pto
Cons
No work life balance, no teamwork
A once wonderful company where something has gone terribly wrong.
Complimentary Therapist (Former Employee) –  IowaMarch 4, 2018
I worked for SCH for three and a half years, in the field visiting patients. Hospice is a tough gig. It’s emotionally draining and has unusual hours. Not everyone has a personality that melds well with hospice work; it requires a lot of autonomy and time management skills. I loved working with patients at end of life. Every patient and family member and facility I met with was a honor to serve. SCH as a company has sometimes made some quick changes and is constantly in flux with management and policies and has ALOT of staff turnover, but they have always had a solid passion and respect for hospice care. However, within the last month, something has drastically changed within the company. Complimentary therapies and other disciplines (including Chaplain services) are being asked to cut visit frequencies without regards to patient medical needs, but in an effort to save money. Many staff members are having their full-time status reduced to part-time or PRN, or having their part-time/PRN hours cut drastically, despite no recent changes in census. For 98% of the time, I enjoyed working at SCH and was proud of the team I served on and the care patients received. My heart was uneasy staying with this company due to the changes; if it hadn’t been for the recent changes, I would not have left. I don’t know why the changes are happening right now, but I strongly caution anyone about their involvement with this company, due to their recent practices and the new changes to patient care.
Pros
Patients, Serving the Community, Work that makes a difference
Cons
Recent Culture Changes
Fun place to work and good Staffing.
Hospice Aide (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, MNFebruary 15, 2018
The best place I ever worked!!
I loved the staff and the management!!
I worked there from 2012- 2013.
Full time 8am to 4pm no weekends or Holidays. It was just perfect place to work and I miss it a lot!!!
Tiggy.
Pros
Good pay.
For RNs Horrible place to work!!
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  IowaFebruary 6, 2018
Unless you want no life outside of work I would not work here. Management does not care about your work life balance. On call all the time and with high turnover you will put in 60-70 hrs per week and be paid for 40. So on average the RNCM makes less than the aides do per hour. And PTO forget it. If you are allowed to take it which is based on how many people you have on staff, You can use it but you still have to work your caseload into your time off so you pay for it in the long run, not really a day off. So RNs unless you enjoy working double the hours you are said for and have nothing going on outside work ever I would not recommend this job. They promise it will get better and string you along but I have watched nurses be fired that were giving the job their all and other nurses promoted who have little to no experience. They want you to work all the time and not complain about it! They expect the excellent pt care which is great but it's at the RNs expense!
Pros
Rewarding type of work
Cons
Everything else
Paid well but had to pay well to make up for everything else
Nurse (Former Employee) –  IowaJanuary 23, 2018
Management at the top only cares about one thing... and that's not their employees. Nursing manager at corporate was hard to get a long with. She did not educate or provide support to new employees who were new to hospice. CEO is aware of the manipulation and cut throat atmosphere by his management from the top but yet does nothing about it. Grew too fast.
Fulfilling but stressful
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  MNJanuary 2, 2018
St. Croix hospice provides the best patient care! This by far has been the most rewarding job I have ever had! The company definitely has a patient comes first attitude. The CEO has a very caring attitude and really has the patients at heart. As far as taking care of their employees, that is a different story. The nurses are expected to put in long hours and see a very large case load of patients with very little to no recognition for what they do. The family/work balance is non-existent; you are still needed to answer your phone, chart, and perform other things on your days and evenings off. There are high expectations, with little to no explanation of what is expected of you. The training provided depends greatly on who is training you as there is no formal company training. I love being a hospice nurse, but I would also like to spend quality time with my family.
Pros
Great patient comes first attitude, very rewarding job
Cons
No down time, little recognition, long hours
Compassionate Care
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNNovember 30, 2017
This job provides a great work/life balance. Management is always supportive and listening to our needs. Communication between co-workers is great. Yes there are some longs days and unexpected changes during the day, but we work in healthcare and that is expected. Everyone is great at teamwork and getting things done together.
Exceptional Hospice Agency
Clinician (Current Employee) –  Oakdale, MNNovember 28, 2017
This company is growing into one of the leading providers of Hospice services in the Midwest. I have worked here over four years and I proud of the opportunity to care for the patients, families, and facility caregivers at end of life. Hospice work is different everyday. This is a career that requires flexibility, time management, and personal accountability. I appreciate my fellow team members and we truly are a family to one another. Being dictated by the government and Medicare does cause some hiccups and headaches which is seen in all aspects of the health care field. The organization is striving to continue to acknowledge and value the many employees that work here. I look forward to going to work because I will get to be with amazing patients and colleagues everyday
Pros
Team support, flexibility
Cons
Governmental policy changes
work
Health Information Manager (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 28, 2017
busy, very dynamic. organized, and compliant. seems to keep corporate happy. nice staff to work with. small offices, but many offices in surrounding areas.
Positive work environment
Field Worker (Current Employee) –  IowaNovember 25, 2017
Apparently it depends on the office you work out of, but my office is supportive and communicates well. My manager trusts what I'm doing and does not look over my shoulder. Are there days you may have to work late? Yes. Do unexpected visits happen? Yes. Are you expected to have good time management? yes. It's healthcare. But it's also one of the most rewarding jobs I have done with one of the most supportive and stable companies I have worked for. They aren't pushing admissions and numbers. There are bills to pay, of course, but the goal is top notch care. I have recommended people to work here and I will continue to recommend St. Croix Hospice.
Pros
independence, good communication, fulfilling work
Concerns and issues never went beyond branch management so would never get resolved.
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WINovember 3, 2017
Wonderful patients and clients but very cut throat within organization. It was clear that unethical things were being done but would not be addressed due to the relationship between individuals and Management. Hard to respect fellow co-workers knowing they are dishonest and unsupportive.
For-profit hospice culture is focused on money, not patient care.
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNNovember 3, 2017
The company President stated publically he saw no value in volunteer services, diminishing the volunteers and the division in which I worked. Medicare requires hospices have volunteer services, but he stated it was a drain on resources.
Pros
Hospice patients are amazing people; strong team of volunteers.
Cons
A President who diminished the value volunteers provide to dying patients and families.
Hospice aid
Hospice Aide (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNOctober 17, 2017
Work there over two years
Then we loss all are management in office got new ones.
They very rude and on organized took patients away from staff members because was not in their territory even though that we have them for a long time. Not understanding at all or don't listen to suggestions prior to New Management coming in it was a wonderful place a loving atmosphere family-orientated and I would have loved to stay. But when new management came in I went from having 40 hours a week to only having 20 and no one can live on this. The new management did a lot of favoring towards other staff members and also the management was very poor on lack of communication updating residents profiles and very unorganized this is why I left st.Croix
Pros
Good pay, residence and staff members
Cons
Management, advancement, and lack of communication
Too good to be true...
RNCM (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaAugust 29, 2017
This job seems to good to be true because it is, at least for the RNCMs. There is no work life balance for nurses, you are expected to work after hours with no compensation and any compensation you receive while being on call is not worth it as you are often spending 3+ hours at a visit. The service area is too large causing some nurses to be over 2 hours away from patients which is terrible response time when someone is in need of help. The communication is terrible, no one is ever updated on pertinent information causing poor continuity of care.
The turnover with nurses is very high and there is a reason for that which is completely on the companies end. This company is known for the great care they provide all because of their clinical team who is NEVER recognized for their hard work, if only they would treat their staff members the way the patients are treated. This company has caused multiple nurses to have severe stress and anxiety which is sad considering they are focused on providing comfort.
If you want to feel unvalued, unappreciated, work more than you're paid for then this is the job for you. Otherwise avoid at all cost!
Pros
Rewarding job, develop strong relationships with patients, families, and co workers
Cons
Long hours, tons of driving, poor management, poor communication
great
Hospice Aide (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIAugust 18, 2017
great place to work, great people to work with , Doctors are great,
face paced and time goes fast. communication is good, keep up with education
Hard to move in shifts, was on night shift for 8 yrs, tried to move to 1st and never happened after promised.