St. David's Medical Center Employee Reviews for Surgical Technician

Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 9, 2018
I worked here for about 6 months before i had to quit to move home to care for my father. The team is friendly, helpful, and respectful. The hospital is the busiest one in the St. David's chain.
Pros
helpful staff, good pay and benefits
Cons
very busy
I love working here
Surgical Technologist II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 9, 2018
I cant say enough good things about SAMC. I am currently employed PRN at SAMC after being a full time employee for 3 years. I love working here, the doctors and nurses are friendly and helpful, with a team approach to daily assignments. Everyone is respectful, helpful, and friendly which encompasses their company motto. I only left full time status to finish my bachelor's degree away from Austin.
Pros
friendly staff, friendly doctors, helpful supportive management
Cons
very busy!
this place is falling apart
Surgical Technician in SPD (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 30, 2017
This hospital is badly maintained and managed. The staff upstairs constantly send down sharps and ripped biohazard bags increasing staff risk. Complaints are noted and ignored. The washers and sterilization equipment breaks down weekly and is very slow to repair. We were all given cloth gloves to remove scalding hot items from washers, once these gloves get wet it soaks up and will continue to burn your skin until you throw them off.
The entire system is bogged down in outdated computer equipment and double work hand writing to compensate for the administration not utilizing a more modern system.
Management seems unavailable and disorganized, frankly its a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Pros
ice cream on Friday
Cons
everything else
poor management
Certified Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 9, 2017
If you want to have someone be nice to your face then turn around and tell you how horrible of a person you are for wanting to better your career then feel free to work here. Typical day, you always had someone watching your every move. Breaks were monitored very closely and if you were even slightly over then someone was hunting you down.
Nobody is happy
Certified Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 9, 2017
I only worked there a few months before getting laid off due to budget cuts. Things were going fine minus a few growing pains on a busy floor. Then, I got laid off.
Poor Management
Certified Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 9, 2017
Typical day was 12 hours either by yourself or with one other tech. I learned that you cant trust anybody. Nobody is your friend and no matter how well you think you're doing at your job, somebody thinks otherwise and would rather run and tell management before talking to you.
busy floor
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 5, 2017
busy floor with high risk OB patients. Staff is highly trained in emergent situations. Workload could be quite a lot and always on your feet. Good team work but sometimes the nurses seemed burnt out.
poor management
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 5, 2017
I wouldn't recommend working here unless you're ready for unfair management and to be treated like a child. Staff is burnt out and techs are not very happy at their jobs. A lot of people have left since I left.
Great place to grow in experience
Surgical Technician II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 16, 2017
This was a very fast paced environment that always kept you on your toes. Every day felt like a new experience and it really prepares you for the unexpected.
Pros
Good teamwork, benefits
Cons
Preference cards weren't always correct, no access to schedule
Productive fun environment to work
Surgical Technologist Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 20, 2013
Excellent training and expirience was provided for me as an intern.