St. Francis House Employee Reviews

Very poor leadership
Faclities / Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 12, 2019
Never knew what you would walk into in the morning. Staff tried hard but limited. Lack of knowledge by upper directors led to unsatisfying experience at management level. Do it all mindset without any support from above. Total lack of understanding and unwillingness to try to comprehend issues.Place was run like a fiefdom of old.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
incompetence at the director level and above
Compassionate and empathetic environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  39 Boylston Street Boston maDecember 9, 2018
Working at St. Francis House has been a positive experience. While the work is challenging and often stressful, the culture is compassionate and management is supportive.

Staff is hard working and dedicated to the guests.
Pros
Management and culture
Cons
First floor needs a makeover.
St. Francis House has a great mission.
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 1, 2018
St. Francis House has a great mission. My time working at St.Francis House was short, like many employees who leave or are left behind. Management is stuck in their old school ways. It's their way or the high way. Most people would choose the highway.
Important work helping people in need of jobs and homes
part-time supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 5, 2018
Homeless Shelter. Great place to work where you can help people in need. Families with children came to shelter looking for someplace to stay and eat. Many were helped by finding services for them to get on their own.
Excellent Volunteer Opportunity
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 18, 2018
I very much enjoyed my time volunteering at St Francis House. The biggest positive in relation to voluunteering at other shelters is the wide variety of services that they provide. I was able to assist with serving meals, distributing clothing, managing the shower schedule, and even running a sports trivia program.
St. Francis House
Volunteer, Moving Ahead Program (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 7, 2018
Assisted Instructors:
Helped students with using computers, resume formatting, communication/presentation skills. Conducted mock interviews. Provided feedback to Instructors.

Honed Interpersonal Skills.

Management very supportive.

Workplace culture very inclusive, welcoming, supportive.

Hardest part of the Job: Being patient when faced with multiple requests for help in the classroom.

Most enjoyable part of the Job: When students tell me how grateful they are for the help.
Pros
Free lunches, upper management easily accessable.
Cons
Sometimes my knowledge would surpass that of instructor.
Great Place, noble mission
Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 3, 2018
Great place, helping people, everyone here is very dedicated and passionate about making a change and trying to better the lives of the people who come here for assisatance.
Pros
Mission, benefits
Cons
pay, condition of the building, and the lobby and front of the building make the place look bad even though there is so much good
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Augustine, FLAugust 7, 2017
Rules are made on the fly with no respect or dignity for the clientele served. Management does not respond when notified of poor leadership and harassing behaviors.
Donations Store with Flexible Hours
Clothes Hangers Valet Worker (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WAJuly 2, 2017
I learned my attitudes to work into the boring work environment. But, this is only 8 hours per week from 10:30 am to 2:30 pm every Tuesdays and Thursdays. Worked up to approximately one year. Did other duties like carrying large furnitures and other items to their vehicles to take home as people requested. Dumping garbage and assisting other volunteers to put together their items, put out donation items out to the front of the store. This is pretty hard work for me!!
Pros
Frequent Breaks
Cons
Only work in the Clothes Valet Area.
It's a place where I can work and interact with many type of people in Boston.
Clothing Sorter (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 7, 2017
I think it is a nice place for me to contribute to Boston, where I am living and studying right now. It was the chance for me to push myself out of my comfort zone during my first year of college.
Warm and caring environment
Nursing Student (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 17, 2017
The nurses and the staff at the clinic are all very nice and they offer a warm welcome to all the clients and volunteers. Everyone works well together in a team and make sure to provide a safe and secure environment.
Peaceful yet needs for assistance.
Expressive Arts Therapist Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 4, 2016
The art studio is situated in a corner of St. Francis House where all are welcomed to participate and create. Art supplies are provided as well as directions to how to begin an art project.
Pros
Peaceful and creative
Cons
Small space and overwhelming work
Purposeful, supportive and rewarding place to work.
Director (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 24, 2016
SFH lived up to its mission statement and supported all its employees in serving that mission. The guests were always the top priority and staff were given the necessary resources to meet their needs.
Pros
Collegial, flexible and very supportive.
Great Workplace
Student Nurse, Community (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 20, 2015
I had clinical at St. Francis House and I thought it was great! I thought the staff was friendly and knowledgeable and the patient population was very diverse.
Day Room Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 23, 2014
Another wonderful place to work. Management supportive of staff and residents. Opportunities to learn and advance about homeless families presented another component of homelessness which in itself is much more complex than individual homelessness.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Francis House. Our community is ready to answer.