St. John's Hospital Employee Reviews

Stressful Work Environment
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 27, 2018
I cannot speak for the rest of the departments with St. John's but I can speak for the divisional business office. First off, St. John's has their own business office within the hospital but when you work at the "divisional" business office, you are employed by and get paid through St. John's even though it is considered "HSHS". The difference in these two is the pay. For corporate HSHS employees, the rate of pay and advancement is much better. To work in the "HSHS Divisional Business Office", you do not get that same pay, you get the lowest of the low through St. John's. Even though you do the same thing as other workers within "HSHS", you do not get the pay. After catching on quickly and taking over most of the difficult tasks, no advancement or increase in pay was offered when asked. The raise each year ranges from $0.20-$0.50 and that is with getting the best evaluation in the office. There is now a revolving door with this business office because they do not value the employees there even though they are the ones who get the insurance companies to pay the claims to make the hospitals money. The work load is also extremely stressful. They expect you to work over 1,000.00 claims and if you missed even one they are right on top of you. No one is held accountable either. The plus sides were being able to juggle personal life with work life and they were very understandable. Other than that, this place is joke!
Pros
Understanding with personal life issues.
Cons
Horrible compensation, horrible coworkers, no accountability, no appreciation.
hard working
Certified Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  surgical technologistMarch 25, 2018
with long years of multi special surgical experiences and ability to work independently in GU, surgery, ortho, SICU, hand, plastic should be beneficial for team work
Able to work by myself
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INMarch 15, 2018
I was able to work at my own pace and get the job done effectively and efficiently. I did have interactions with some of the employees but that was always enjoyable.
Pros
got to listen to music while working
Cons
no cons
very stressful
Renal/Med/Surg GN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOFebruary 6, 2018
I would say this was my most stressful nursing job I have ever had. All nursing staff had at least 10 patient's on a renal/med/surg floor. Most of the time we had 11 patient's. RN's that had been their much longer than me (I was a graduate nurse) would be crying do to the stress and the inability to provide good quality care. I would say the most enjoyable part of the job was the team work. We were all stressed but would help each other out as much as possible. We would hug and cry with each other at the end of the shift.
Pros
good team work
Cons
patient load, very stressful
Review
Registered Nurse/Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 31, 2018
Constant management turnover, lack of a strong culture of caring, suboptimal benefits, job insecurity in leadership, no room for advancement, and lack of leadership support
director keeps running the good managers off
Registered Nurse Case Manager/utilzation review (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 28, 2018
several managers in case management - turnover is toxic
no support or consistency
big turn over in department due to these issues
love coworker but stressful with lack of support
director lack any knowledge of CM/UR and does not listen
Collaborative and friendly
Social Work Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNJanuary 13, 2018
Worked at St. John's and loved the nursing staff, MD's and case management staff. Collaborative with discharge planning. Worked well with all disciplines. Loved the patient population and fast paced nature of the workplace.
Pros
Teamwork, management, culture
A very nice hospital setting
Histology Technician (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 7, 2018
St. John is a nice hospital setting with excellent benefits and comparable salaries. The management works well with their employees and encourages everyone to exemplify excellent customer service to the community and their patients.
sucked
Nutrition Services Aide (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNJanuary 2, 2018
worked for a very unpleasant person and had to work with a bunch of teenagers who wouldnt do their jobs and wanted to flirt instead of work. I lost my job over the stress and having to come down on the kids for not working.
Pros
money union
Cons
worked for mean boss and had to babysit teenagers
Hardworking managers, Administration needs work
Nutrition Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NY 10701December 16, 2017
Overall i liked it. Administration makes all these rules to save money and then everyone else suffers. Good people work there, patients are great, overall it was a great job.
Great place to work if you enjoy healthcare
Cardiac Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILDecember 13, 2017
I worked the graveyard shift on the cardiac unit and at times it was very stressful when we would have patients that would have a bad night and need emergency care to keep them alive and/or bring them back.
The hardest part of the job was seeing the worry on the faces of the patients and/or family members but it was always my job to make sure they were reassured that all would be alright.
I loved working with the nurses and doctors and I've always enjoyed anything medical, so being as close as I was to the action was amazing in my opinion.
Unfortunately, as most workplaces go, there is favoritism and if you are not the favorite, the nagging starts, the rumors start and eventually things that are not good or true get reported back to the supervisors which also had their favorites.
Other than the pettiness that was a constant, doing the job I did was absolutely amazing and I think I still consider it my favorite job.
Pros
Working in healthcare environment, customer service
Cons
pettiness
Fast paced work environment with unlimited learning opportunities
Emergency Room Procedural Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, IL 62702November 20, 2017
Loved the people, enjoyed caring for patients, and learning new things about the human body and emergency room procedures. I had the opportunity to meet new people every day and interact with doctors and nurses.
A very productive workplace
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILNovember 6, 2017
Being able to come to work and feel like you have achieve the ultimate goal for a patient and your employer! It was a wonderful feeling. Having the chance to meet new people, was a great achieve for me.
Pros
advancements
Cons
lack of openings in one department
Hospital
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILOctober 25, 2017
HSHS isn't the ideal place to work, even for a part-time position. The staff was friendly but the managing of the hospital towards their employees was terrible.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Loved the people I worked with, but to much favoritism from people in upper positions.
Central Sterile Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 15, 2017
Working here you never know what to expect since a new company has taken over. Everyday it's always something changed. They try to get rid of the employees that have been there the longest. They bring in people that really are not familiar with that department and make them supervisors. I had been certified for three years and before I could get my pay raise I had to sign a contract, stating I would work anywhere and anytime when needed. This was only for the people that are crcst certified.
Pros
One hour lunch break
Cons
Favoritism shown for some employees
Adult ICU
Critical Care RN Adult Intensive Care Unit (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILOctober 14, 2017
Excellent learning experience for a new nurse, but as the years went by, the pay did not increase much especially considering the increase in stress and responsibilities. Unsafe nurse to patient ratios on many units.
Pros
good experience, great health insurance.
Cons
inappropriate wages fro stress level, unsafe nurse to patient ratios.
Schedule out patience service and pre register
Medical sceduler (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 30, 2017
Medical terminology answer phone conference calls run fax machine work multi screens keep up with daily changes register patient insurance verification communication with many departments with in and outside independently work promblem solving typing schedule in timely manner fast pace inviroment start up in morning turning phones on
Pros
Healthcare raises paid time off
Cons
Management unfair play favorite
Excellent Job
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNSeptember 28, 2017
The facility was an excellent place to work. All the staff willing to teach and the workplace culture was easy going. Everyone wants you to succeed and are always willing to help you!
great place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 18, 2017
i loved the atmosphere on the floor i worked on. It was like a family. the years i spent there are some of the best of my life. My supervisor was patient, fair & very educated. We worked together well as a team.
Middle Management
Staff Nurse- (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAAugust 29, 2017
Charge nurse's at St. John's need more training in leadership and EI. In addition, training in communication and respecting and valuing people for their contributions and unique capabilities.