St. John's Lutheran Church Employee Reviews

Difficult to help heal broken hearts
Office Manager/Church Administrator (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CASeptember 10, 2018
A great deal of knowledge was gained.

The most enjoyable part was getting to know the congregation and providing support as needed. Adjusting to the change in society is a challenge for many.
Pros
Beautiful congregation
Cons
Politics
Great Place to work
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 28, 2018
Great place to work. Wonderful church that has been around for 150 years. The church is doing great work for the community and continues to spread God's word to all.
Volunteer
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  601 6th AveJuly 30, 2018
Great place to volunteer. Many opportunities to volunteer and aid the community. Many people pitch in to help with the work. All are welcome here at beloved community meal.
enjoyed coworker
Secretary/Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Effort, PAJuly 25, 2018
I enjoyed working side by side with the preschool teacher and the children. I also enjoyed working with the pastor until she left. Unfortunately she moved on and the congregation was arguing over money issues.
Pros
coworker
Cons
lack of salary
Fun Workplace
Children Bible Study Instructor (Former Employee) –  Jourdanton, TXMay 24, 2018
People in the church are always so nice, new faces would be seen every day. Everyone was always so welcoming and comforting. Great atmosphere and fun workplace.
Review
Church Secretary (Former Employee) –  Waukon, IADecember 27, 2017
St. John's was a nice place to work until a recent change in management. After the previous pastor left, things became very strained and there was a lot of pressure for perfection in areas of the job where I had little experience.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Unreasonable Management
Church, not only on Sundays
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 8, 2017
Working at a church is more than just Sundays. Sometimes it is long days and nights but in the end I know that I am reaching others and living as God wants me to by helping others and not just those within the building.
A typical Day
NURSERY ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXNovember 19, 2017
Going in the nursery, waiting for a child to come through the doors.
As soon as a child comes my job is to make sure the child is in good hands. They are changed when the need to be. They are having a great time when their parents are at church services!
Great Place to work
Daycare Worker (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAOctober 15, 2017
You become part of the family while working there. Everyone is so kind and they all have their hearts in the right place. Having God as your foundation is very important.
Not positive
Property Manager/IT Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDOctober 1, 2017
St. John has had a lot of management changes over the last four years. Each Pastor has been more negative than the last. They now have a hostile work environment and has made it hard to come to work in the morning.
Nice Church
Music Director (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 12, 2017
A very musical and good choir, people are helpful and children's bible study was friendly, built a small children's choir, very nice, conducted and played a new year epiphany concert.
Working at St.John's was a new experience
Voting Precinct Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montebello, CA 90640November 12, 2016
It was setting up the polls, working as a team, helping voters including those where English is not their first language which was not a problem and making sure things ran smoothly during the course of the day
St. John's is the classic religious administration position of leadership, pastoral care and direction.
Senior Pastor (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDOctober 23, 2016
Much satisfaction has happened over the years of serving and caring for a historic church institution in Hagerstown. As Senior leadership, I have supervised a staff of five and overseen of budget of $400,000.
Pros
People are supported and interested in helping the mission
Cons
In today's religious context, the struggles of fewer attendees and giving creates challenges.
Excellent work place
Lead Pastor, Pastor of Worship & Teaching (Former Employee) –  Monett, MOFebruary 6, 2016
RESPONSIBILITIES
Identifying, recruiting and mentoring individuals for eldership, ministry leadership, Biblical counseling, worship team, praise team rehearsal, visitation, sermon preparation and delivery, training of elders, preparing weekly worship services for Sunday, Biblical counseling, crisis counseling, ongoing analysis and implementation of information technology (wireless networks, routers, etc.), development of PowerPoint templates and slideshows for sermons, church guest follow-up, and more. Creation, development and roll-out of a completely seeker-driven, contemporary worship service.
Pros
people
Cons
people
A nice place to work
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Northumberland, PAOctober 12, 2015
The church was a nice place to work with great volunteers, and my own personal growth and I learned the system. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the volunteers and preparing the Newsletter. I found the Newsletter to be fun as I searched for clip art and articles, formatting, and seeing the finished project. The most challenging part of my job was meeting the deadlines with so little time while waiting on others to provide me with all necessary information needed to prepare the weekly bulletins. However, I always accomplished this task on time.
Pros
Meeting very nice people
Cons
Healthcare
Excellent and suppotive congregation.
Music Director/Organist (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, PAMay 6, 2015
I enjoy the people at the church. They appreciate everything I do to ensure my job is done to the best of my abilities. The Pastor is easy to work with as is the choir. They are always supportive and encouraging.
Flexible place to work
Secretary (Current Employee) –  McKeesport PaJanuary 26, 2015
I enjoy working for the church and helping out the community.Friendly environment.Typically have a week to get all my work done, Minimal supervision.
A wonderful place to work.
Financial Secretary (Current Employee) –  Stacy, MNJune 11, 2014
A great place to work with wonderful people. There is no downfall working for them. You will feel blessed to work for them.
Good work environment
Director of Contemporary Music (Part time) (Current Employee) –  Adrian, MIFebruary 25, 2014
Mostly work from home. Good people to work with.
Schedule and run practices. Update and track repertoire. Create set list weekly.
Self-motivated work environment
Office Assistant/Secretary/Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 7, 2013
St. John's Lutheran Church is a wonderful place to work becasue a lot of my work is self-motivated and I produce the checks, bulletins, and other documents daily, weekly and monthly. Over the many years that I have worked there, I have learned the ins and outs of Quickbooks and how to be a self-starter. Management and co-workers are extremely easy to work with and work for. We are a small staff of five members. The hardest part of my job has to be the emotional toil of doing the funeral bulletins since I attend the church and know most of the members of our congregation. The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction with the kids and staff of the child care and the satisfaction I receive from getting my bulletins done weekly.
Pros
flexible schedule and good relationship with supervisor
Cons
healthcare is not available