St. John's University Employee Reviews

Great unviersity to work at
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYOctober 1, 2018
Was an amazing place to work at. This was the beginning of my career but had an opportunity to work with technically good and challenging management. Really felt like part of one team and colleagues were great to work with.
What a Garbage Pile
Professor (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYSeptember 24, 2018
Do not work here. Nobody cares. Nobody is invested. The only thing people care about is getting to their cars before 4PM to beat the traffic. They say one thing about the goals and mission and act another way. They are disinterested, shallow people who care nothing for other people in the university. They speak only in cynical phrases. They are very toxic, and the place is unhealthy.

It's a shame students come here and rack up 6 figure debt to be made fun of by an old white man in an ill-fitting suit who barely graduated law school and thinks they are God's gift to education. It's pathetic.
Cons
Good energy with different people in each class
Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYSeptember 17, 2018
I taught a hip-hop class once a week and it was always something that I looked forward to. Everyone who attended my class were so energetic, sweet, and determined. That energy amplified my emotions and for one hour a week, I got to meet and dance with confident and extravagant people.
Excellent environment
Technology Coordinator, (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYSeptember 14, 2018
Students made this job amazing. One of the first places I worked at in order to move forward in my career. This institution was inflation toward my long term career!
Wonderful Organization
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYSeptember 6, 2018
My time working at St. John's University was memorable and worthwhile. I made new friends and learned a great deal from my various roles at the institution.
excellent place to work.
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYSeptember 4, 2018
I enjoyed working at st johns university. I was a student and the job was so much fun and productive that I learned so much. My boss was an amazing lady and she taught me so much.
First Job in USA, Nice learning environment, Good team work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 1, 2018
Flexible Schedule, Provide Proper Training, Nice learning environment, Good team work, Friendly management, Fruitful meeting in every week, provide Holydays.
Pros
Team Work
Adjunct
Adjunct Instructor - Marketing (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 31, 2018
As an Adjunct Instructor I am able to collaborate with colleagues in my department and College. The administrative team in the Dean's office is extremely helpful and always available to assist. The Center for Teaching & Learning provides ample opportunity for Adjunct Faculty to learn and bring new teaching methods to the classroom
St. Johns University
Grad Assistant (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 23, 2018
Loved the atmosphere of my office. I was a grad assistant and my boss was very easy to work with my schedule as a full time student.Truly thankful for the opportunity
low pay for adjuncts
Adjunct full professor (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 13, 2018
low pay for adjuncts. had no luck with chairs. They of course treat adjuncts like garbage. Union actually makes things worsr for adjuncts as you can’t negotiate for pay or rank,
Very Stressful work environment
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 9, 2018
In a typical day would meet with students to discuss academic goals
University is downsizing
There is no growth or room for advancement
People of SJU are very loving and seem to be caring
Most enjoyable part is working with students, changing their lives
Benefits
Cons
Pay is too low/ No advancement
Student Job
Student Worker Alumni Relations (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 30, 2018
A great place to work, interaction with both students and alumni a diverse and complex backgrounds. The job helped forge a sense of commitment and belonging.
Relaxed environment
Bookstore Associate (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 22, 2018
St. John's was a really relaxed environment to work in and I have no complaints what so ever. it was a team based environment and everyone worked well to get daily tasks completed.
Pros
discounts
Cons
short breaks
A general office setting
Graduate Worker (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 18, 2018
My day to day included answering emails, making phone calls, doing various projects, and managing various study abroad programs and the student requirements needed for those programs. I also created weekly newsletters for semester and short term programs.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
no benefits
Relaxed but very attentive
Resident Safety Monitor (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 16, 2018
Sit at the front desk of a dorm building and be alert at all times with the cameras of the building, the people entering and the people exiting. Check in the guests of the residents and make sure the proper identification is given for that individual. Keep track of all the off campus identification cards that are kept. Deny access to residents or visitor that do not belong there.
Productive and fun place to work
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 5, 2018
It was a joy to work in the mailroom. I am currently a student worker who is comfortable in the work environment. I will continue to work here throughout my years in college.
Productive workplace
Information Technology Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 4, 2018
A typical day at work involves helping students with wifi, printing, and laptop problems. They allowed student-workers to do homework so I would read books when it was not busy.
Wonderful place to work!
Reserve Desk Tech.l Assistant III, Access Services (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 1, 2018
Managed and maintained the Reserve Room. Data input, removal and maintenance of patrons information and Library Reserve material. Dealt with fine collections. Trained and supervised student assistants and staff assigned to the Reserve Desk. Reconciled, diagnosed and held responsible for all library reserve tasks.
Assisted with food prep for college students
Sexton Dining (Former Employee) –  Collegeville,MNJune 25, 2018
Assisted with making subs for college students as well as working the grill on a daily basis. Work was very repetitive and there was not much room for growth or advancement.
Friend work place, well balanced of work and study
Student Assistant Worker (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 12, 2018
I was hired by the university where I studied for my master, so we have the restriction of maximum work hour of 20 hours per week. There was no hardest part of this job, the supervisors would not give you too much work or long lasting project. Only during the university application season, the workload would be tired you up. I was doing lots of front desk work. My interpersonal, conversational and problem solving skills were enhanced. The enjoyable part of the job was you could experience different problems and students everyday. I learnt many things and my horizon was broaden. The workplace culture is good, the hierarchy was clear, everyone was working hard.
Pros
No project, No overtime
Cons
Routine office work