St. John's Well Child & Family Center Employee Reviews

Great Place and good experience
Helpdesk Tech. (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 18, 2018
Regular day hours
Good experience in team work
Helping Users and clients fix the trouble shoot
Nice work atmosphere
I have to take care of any issues that arise due to failing or failed hardware components and software or operation system for over 240 users and 3 administrators, repair, and maintenance of computer and printers or other related equipment.
Good place to work and learn
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 19, 2017
Good place to work and learn. This a place of fast pace. Really good to get more experience and if you like to move around and work in different locations this is the place for you.
St Johns
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 11, 2017
The offices are really busy but everyone works as a team.Very helpful place to gain experience. The typical days has seven doctors, four dental, one ob provider, one therapist, and many different other services.
Pros
Good hours, Benefits, Experience
Cons
Floating
temporary position
Patient Portal Advocate (Current Employee) –  st. Johns well child and family centerNovember 17, 2017
Great team , fair hours , good communication . Two days off during the week , friendly coworkers, able to meet goals with the team.
Positive work environment.
Pros
breaks, flexible
Movement
Substance Abuse Counselor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 19, 2017
St.John's is the only place I have ever worked where I feel my job actually matters and makes a difference. There is a job culture that resembles a movement in our society. We don't just show up to work and do a job, we show up for the people and to be of service. Everyone has that mentality here, the ones that don't end up leaving.
Pros
Directors, Ceo, Mission Statement
Cons
No vending machines
Great People
Human Resources Clerk (Former Employee) –  South Los Angeles, CAJuly 1, 2017
I loved working there everyone was on a mission to help. I was the file clerk and dealt with employee records. the bosses weren't micro managers. I had great hours. it was a nonprofit organization.
Pros
Nice people
Just work here to get your experience and then move on
Upper Management (Former Employee) –  corporate Los Angeles, CAApril 29, 2017
Very, very high turnover rate. clinical mangers have a high turn over rate too, seen ex-staff escorted out by security. within all the clinics. Very high turnover rate for providers. every 2-4 months there is a shake of up some high rate staff member quitting, getting fired, forced to resign or they just cant take it anymore. if your on salary be prepared to work more than 40 hours a week.

no parking for employees in all the clinics. employees have been robbed going to there cars after work. its South Central LA. cars have been stolen, patients cars have been stolen too or vandalized. employee cars always get hit at parking lots in all the clinics. small lots to park for employees. Your car is screwed if you park in the streets. expect side mirrors to be broken, cars scratched, etc..

They hire staff that are not medically qualified to run the front office or other departments. Many of the staff are related to each other or friends of the executive then to management staff. Brother, sister, cousins, in-laws, family friends work here etc..its a joke. Some mom and son work together in the admin building. you got to keep your mouth quiet about dumb employees because there the ones that are related or in management. call center rejects many patients calls or don't answer patients calls.

staff are hardly educated, this goes from management level to clinical staff don't know how to use computers. many of the staff have tattoos . showing them off .IT department is somewhat dismal. always issues on printing , logging into the system as well. Currently for 2016-2017 they have
  more... have lost millions of $$$ bad computer systems for a new upgrade, that person was fired, lost grants another firing..etc... layoffs soon??? St Johns bleeds $$$$ all the time . Good ones always leaves this place, they find another job with better pay.

Very high turnover rate for providers.The only staff that is truly competent is the providers.except for the main cmo of the providers. providers cant do labs because there is pause to not to order expensive labs. upper level providers must approve labs.. what a joke.they try to save money, not patients lives. management pushing them to do their patients fast, hardly any admin time.
Pros
ree coffee but you bring your own mug.their non-profit, also forks and spoons
Cons
Very, very high turnover rate
very satisfied
Patient Portal Advocate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 18, 2017
I worked at St. John's and it was a great place to work at. An inspirational organization. I a worked as a patient portal advocate, it is a fast-paced environment. It was a great place to demonstrate my abilities to multi-task and be able to use my experience it makes my job very easy. Truly a great place to work at.
Fast pace, un-professional, no support from upper management
Behavior Health Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 10, 2017
Management does not provide support or appreciate their employees. Not a family friendly environment and do not provide proper training. Employee safety is always comprise
Pros
Job security
Cons
No breaks, Lack of professionalism
productive
Receptionist/Patient portal advocate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 13, 2017
Working there was great, great people there to learn from and the pay was decent aswell, and i hope the good continues and i loved the kids there as well. i felt like i was bonding with them
I quit
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 10, 2017
I don't agree with the way they are enabling the transgender community. They need to focus on what is medically necessary and not what will bring in more government money in.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Most things
Decent compensation and benefit
Physician Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 25, 2017
Stressful but decent pay and benefit. Low-income patients with chronic medical conditions. Shouldn't apply here if you don't speak Spanish. Hardworking MAs and providers.
Pros
Salary and benefit
Cons
30 minute lunch
not for the weak
Family Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 13, 2017
High volume, spanish speaking, undeserved population. Work is hard here. People get along with each other, but it is really the loan repayment program that encourages people to stay instead of them finding other employment.
Productive, fun place to work
Patient Assistant Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Compton, CADecember 9, 2016
A typical day at work is just having a busy, busy day. There was no day that you are just sitting down doing nothing. This place is always busy and someone is always going to need your help.

I've learned to work close with others its always fun and very important to work together as a team. Communication is a very important part of this job and I think anywhere you go you will need to use this tool in order for you to do a good job.

I love my coworkers they become your family after working together for such a long time they are basically the only people you hang out with for a whole day.

The hardest part of the job is that you can only do so much. I felt unappreciated sometimes, but that never stopped me from working harder every day for the past 10 yrs.

The most enjoyable part of my day is always being able to help that patient that gives you that huge smile of " thank you " at the end of the day. It just makes everything better even tough you've had a rough day.
Pros
Free Drug Rep Lunches
Cons
Short Lunches
Definitely not a place for nurses. No established nursing department
RN (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 23, 2016
Seek a place where your license is safe. No union, no formal education for new grads, no CNO, no nursing policies. You won't gain any clinical skills besides what you already brought with you. Did I mention, it's 8 hour shifts, so you'll be drained. Pay is far below any hospital job. If you want better pay and want to gain real nursing skills and a hospital won't hire you...get hired by a SNF. This is a company that bought the name rights of a reputable Christian organization. Now, the only thing Christian about it is the "St. John's" in it's name. No acute care experience to gain here.
Pros
Cons
Too many
Not a very productive work place
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 9, 2016
The hardest part of the job is dealing with rude and lazy managers that like to delegate and don't show any support at all. Not recommending this place.
Pros
Some Co-Workers are nice
Cons
Assisting the Low income community
Very busy and fun place to work
Medical Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 2, 2015
I have worked with St. John's for over 5 years and it has come a long way to where it is now as an organization. I am a receptionist and let me tell you it is a fast-paced environment that few can handle the pressure. To be able to multi-task and be able to use my experience it makes my job very easy. I can't complain because the compensation/benefits is a blessing. I come in and do my job and get out.
Pros
Compensation/benefits
Cons
Short break or none. Fast-paced environment.
Great and Growing Organization
Volunteer board member (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 9, 2015
board meetings always last a few hours and we get so much accomplished. The management actively listens and enacts our ideas as best as possible
Pros
Helping shape the healthcare for my community
Cons
It's strictly a volunteer position
not a good place to work
Authorization Coordinator (Current Employee) –  los angeles caJuly 29, 2015
collect money for classes. set prize for classes
answer phone
admite clients for classes
reviewed clients paper work
make clients report for court for patient
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Great mission that falls short due to trying to tack on too much
Family Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 14, 2015
Loved the patient population and amazing support staff I worked with. However, this is a community clinic that is interested in opening more clinics regardless of not having enough providers on staff. There is a high turnover rate which I'd attribute to high work volume, lack of respect from management, and not enough time to complete administrative tasks especially when the EMR lacks efficiency and constantly malfunctions. IT isn't very much help or fixes something and then it malfunctions again (bless IT, I don't think it was there fault, but moreso the EMR).

On the other hand It is a great place to learn based on the complexity of patients you often see , a great place to work on your medical spanish, and it's wonderful that there is a community clinic that's goal is to see all patients and provides medications free of charge if you don't have insurance. The overall mission is positive, but if you care about your patients, you soon realize that quality care can never be provided when the end goal is meeting numbers (which this clinic is really big on because they are busy making up for free services that may or may not needed to be provided. (For example, often patients had other PCP and would come to our clinics when in reality better patient care could have been provided with teaching and continuity of care with their own PCP) Additionally office managers are responsible pushing the patients through as opposed to the provider deciding this). I think the clinic has positives and I'm happy to have worked there, but could be improved if it just worked on perfecting
  more... a few clinics rather than continuing to open more. If you work here, there is no way around being stressed.  less
Pros
great staff to work with, great place to learn
Cons
management treats providers as a number