St. John Lutheran Church Employee Reviews

4.4
Ratings breakdown
3.2Job Security & Advancement
Leaders only focus on their own agendas apart from the congregation
Pastor (Current Employee) –  Sparta, ILJune 12, 2018
Leaders focus on their own agendas rather than those of the congregation and are not open to learning new skills or performing the tasks they were assigned.
Great place to work for spiritual people
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Eagle Point, ORFebruary 24, 2018
I am a non-paid volunteer only. I've been a volunteer since 2011 when I first joined the church. I also volunteer as treasurer for the women's group Lutheran Women's Missionary League also known as LWML.
Low-stress place to work for someone familiar with church office work
Business Administrator (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OHFebruary 21, 2018
Very low-stress place to work for someone who is already familiar with church office work. A good balance of working alone and working with the rest of the staff, congregation, and general public.
Pros
Variety of tasks on job description keeps you from becoming bored too quickly.
Cons
Favors those who are LCMS members over non-LCMS staff
Great Place
Preschool Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 20, 2017
I have compassion of working with the residents they are the best. It was a great place to work. Love my employee they are all awesome people the best place.
Enjoy an office setting and creative freedom in a religious environment
Administrative Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Riverton, WYJanuary 27, 2017
This position was located in a single secluded room off of the pastor's office. It was nice being able to have few distractions and being able to focus on my work, while having the assistance of the pastor without having him (or anyone else) looking over my shoulder. I am very independent and self-motivated, so I enjoy having the freedom to do things in my own way, yet pleasing the employer.

While I worked for St. John's, I did various office duties including getting the mail (both physical and electronic), answering the phone, stocking, etc. I learned how to build the Sunday bulletin using a Lutheran web site, and other provided information. These included, hymns, songs included in every sermon with the musical notes on the bar, announcements, and other pertinent information. I also combined and printed them in the correct format using Microsoft Windows Word.

In addition to office duties and bulletin creation, I also created the monthly newsletter. I revamped and updated their newsletter and created a new logo for the church. I enjoy graphic design and creating publications, so this was a good fit for me.

I was also asked to redesign the bulletin boards in the hallway. I really enjoyed the creative freedom they gave me with the design of those.
Pros
Working independantly, creative expression
Cons
Not enough time to finish projects-part time position.
job was without benifits
Pastor (Current Employee) –  Monroeville, OHJanuary 16, 2017
good job and interesting field. This church was a small church and is having a hard time with future aspects. A dwindling congregation loosing its face on ministry.
Cons
cut salary in half and no benifits and paid own taxes
Very fun place to work at loved it so much
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 15, 2016
I really loved working there had fun teaching and working with the children and parents and staff watched alot of the babies grow up and move on to the next levels of classes my connection with the kids and parents and staff members were so close that I became family to many parents I watched the children outside of daycare also
Rewarding place to work
Church Secretary (Current Employee) –  Victorville, CAAugust 15, 2016
This is a volunteer position. Create, format and print the church bulletin for Sunday services. And create and format reports as required for meetings.
Pros
create own hours
Volunteer Work
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Cat Spring, TXJune 18, 2016
Volunteering for the church is a very rewarding experience for me. I love giving back to the community.
The people there are wonderful. I am truly blessed.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Fraser, MIMarch 4, 2015
I an a volunteer at St. John Lutheran Church. This is not a daily job. As a member of several organizations within the church that involve being an usher in church, alter guild activities, fish fries, Mccrest and home visitation of seniors as well as any other activities. Volunteering at church has been a part of my belief system and supporting my church..
Volunteer Position
Niles - Volunteer Treasurer (Current Employee) –  Niles, ILFebruary 7, 2015
St. John is a not for profit religious organization with only three paid "employees". I work there as a volunteer, specifically performing the duties of Treasurer. I am also involved in many activities.

I will continue to volunteer at the church in order to strengthen my faith and reach out to share the Gospel.
Pros
No set hours
Cons
No Cons
Fun and energetic place to be
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Angleton, TXDecember 16, 2014
I enjoyed this job so much because of how every one treated me their. It made my job interesting. My co-workers were always there when I needed any help or assistance. The hardest part of the job was having to go back from the last secretary's work and organizing it all from point one. Although it did make my job more fun having to start over and correcting it the way it needed to be.
Management sucked
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKJuly 17, 2014
The management sucked, hides things for DHS, and the Fire Marshalls
Volunteer position as Vice President of Congregation
Chairman, Board of Elders & Vice President (Current Employee) –  Edgerton, WIMarch 11, 2014
As Vice President, act as chairman at Church Council meetings.
Pros
Receive total cooperation from the council members.
Cons
Meeting take place at night.
Fun place to work with wonderful people
Nursery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, SDFebruary 4, 2014
St. John Lutheran Church is a fantastic place to work. The people are caring, warm, and very easy to talk to. If you have a problem, they are more than willing to help you out.
Thoroughly enjoyed working at St. John.
Secretary - Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bullhead City, AZAugust 11, 2012
Pastor was a wonderful person and we always had time to laugh about something. I miss that.

Typical day of work there was unique. Something was always going on and was unusual that we didn't have some sort of crisis.

Management and members were always, always happy and cheerful and great to be around.

Hardest part of the job, preparing for a funeral.

Most enjoyable part of job - everything.
Pros
working there and with great people.
Cons
money problems for church and being laid off because of it.