St. Joseph Center Employee Reviews

The most enjoyable part of the job
Peer Advocate (Current Employee) –  Venice, CAApril 3, 2018
We have a lot of fun at work with activities for holidays and community events for our clients. They also have a great holiday package with 30 paid vacation days. Advancement is very much possible if you can stick it out through the many changers DMH and the company go through regularly. You can dress up or down it's up to you, but the atmosphere here is relaxed and friendly. We have great parties and picnics.
Pros
Very tight community and many office functions
Cons
low pay
Nice, productive, compassionate
Case Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAApril 2, 2018
Great work in environment, the agency really works hard and together to improve their assistance to individuals whom are homeless or housed and still need resourceful assistance.
Pros
Hiatus weeks
Great work place
PCA (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAFebruary 14, 2018
If you want a rewarding job. This is the place to work. The residents the staff it's just a great place to work. You will become attached to your kids as if they were your own
Pros
seeing the residents smile
Cons
nothing
productive work place
Internship (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 5, 2018
Was very productive opened my eyes to the world around me. Got to meet new people all the time. Everyone around me was very willing to teach me. I had a very great experience.
Hard Working, Yet Fun Place to Work
Food Pantry Operator and Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Venice, CASeptember 12, 2017
Fast paced, hard working agency, but also knows how to have fun. Competitive benefits, including all holidays off and holiday hiatuses of a week to two. Great places to learn all that is social services, but also a place to grow as there is room for advancement.
Pros
Paid holidays off, spring and winter hiatus, Christmas party with nice bonus.
Cons
While staff is supportive in teaching, lacks formal advanced training procedures
Fun Place to Work for
Lead Pre- K Teacher (Former Employee) –  Venice, CA 90291August 7, 2017
It is an amazing non-profit organazation that gives 100% back to the community. The company takes care of all their help in so many ways. They have an awesome Christmas party, provide time and different places to volunteer, collaborative community, a great retreat each year, and Christmas bonus!
Pros
closed for Christmas 2 wks..paid time off
Cons
no breaks, just lunch (1 hour)
Great work environment and benefits
Case Manager/Intake Coordinator FRT, HFSS (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 7, 2017
The entire organization is filled with kind-hearted people who are there to fulfill the mission. SJC offers generous benefits to accommodate the stresses of working in social services.
Pros
Benefits, holidays and 2 hiatus periods per year.
Cons
social services is a tough career field
Great place to give back to community
Culinary Instructor (Current Employee) –  Venice, CAAugust 2, 2017
Wonderful organization working to help individuals with getting back on their feet, providing assistance to jobs, food, shelter and more. I worked with children ages 3 to 5, and all the staff were very supportive, collaborative and fun to work with.
It has changed so much
Employee (Former Employee) –  Venice, CAJuly 1, 2017
I see SJC as a great "starter" job, especially if you are a social worker and not in Admin. However, they are FAR behind on the payscale compared to other companies (unless you're an Executive). There are problems at the top which trickle down to other employees; many people (including management and execs) have left or have been released. We'd simply get an email that so & so is no longer with the company. Yes, this happens, but at SJC, it happens too often, which leads to low morale and a weird vibe at the agency. There are good things about SJC--you can wear jeans, they have retreats, picnics, and you get nearly 3 weeks paid each year for hiatuses. But in the end, it doesn't really make up for the office politics, favoritism, and (some) management who don't really know what they are doing. Or, management that are so stressed from pressure from upper management that they make everyone's lives miserable.
Pros
Lots of paid time off, like it's unreal
Cons
Management, low morale, uncertainty about your future
Always something to do
Housing Locator/ Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Venice, CAJune 1, 2017
Work never ends, when working with such a ever changing difficult population. It becomes stressful and sometimes overwhelming. St. Joe's does a great job at making it a point to take time for yourself and get your head right so to speak every now and again.
Pros
Off at 3:30 on fridays, company parties
Cons
Need reliable transportation for most postions
St Joseph Center is a happy and supportive agency.
Mental Health Therapist (Current Employee) –  Venice, CAFebruary 20, 2017
St Josephs is an agency dedicated to its mission. Through every individual program one will find love, compassion, dedication, empowerment and the true meaning of being an agent of change!
Pros
Very flexible
Cons
Parking is hectic
Fun place to work
Veterans Representative Payee Program (Former Employee) –  Venice, CAMarch 23, 2016
Good people to work with. Nice incentives and company gatherings. Compensation is pretty fair and management is not bad but is not great either.
Productive workplace enviornment
Officer of the Day (Former Employee) –  Venice, CASeptember 25, 2015
This job was excellent and taught me so much about individuals dealing with homelessness as well as taught me information on mental health. All the staff was so great and helpful.
have changed the dynamics of staff accountability and ethics in regards to employees.
Case manager/ Representative Payee (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 16, 2015
Worked with veterans hands on to improve their wellbeing while helping to promote lives. worked with veterans to manage their monies and or provide assist with paying bills etc. Worked with a team of 5 individuals on the VA campus . Enjoyed enriching lives.
working with the religious
Medical Assistant - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Valatie, NYOctober 22, 2013
I learned a lot from this population of men. Was able to work around my family and school.
Pros
the Brothers
Cons
the management
It was a great place to work and everyone was like family.
Achivist Assist./Conference Center Assist/CNA (Former Employee) –  Tipton, INJune 21, 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping others with their basic needs. The employees became like family not only to each other but also the the people we served.
A typical day at work became varied as the facility grew to a closing point. The first 29 years I was a CNA, with additional duties as needed in a home type setting. Then for the next 9 months I worked in the Conference Center taking reservations, processing payments and hostessing when groups arrived or had formal dinners. The last 3 months was spent helping the Sister organize and ship there Archives. This meant putting all personal files online with Filemaker, sorting and packing, and researching when needed.
I am so thankful for the 30 years I worked with the Sisters of St. Joseph.
Pros
Free lunches, Safe place to work
Cons
Sometimes breaks where interrupted
Supportive and encouraging staff
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Venice, CAMay 23, 2013
There is no typical day at work for me at the Homeless Service Center. I have been exposed to a wide variety of extensive mental health issues that often coincide with alcohol or drug abuse. I have learned how to shift dynamics when working long term with the chronically mentally ill. I have learned how to be creative in my interventions and have seen great progress among my clients. I have great respect and admiration for my co-workers. It is very much a team oriented environment, without which none of us would be as successful and efficient as we aim to be. The management at St. Joseph Center does a fantastic job growing this organization to reach more individuals who are in need; however, they often overlook basic and good business practices without fully taking into account the suggestions of the existing staff. The hardest part of my job is preventing burn out. My days are often extremely emotionally draining. The most enjoyable part of my job is witnessing the appreciative and hard working clients improve and work to help themselves improve their circumstances. Overall, I am grateful for my experience at St. Joseph Center and have learned more than I could have possibly imagined.
Pros
Holidays, staff, vacation and sick days
Cons
Systems issues, politics, lack of resources for clients
Great work environment
Development Associate (Former Employee) –  Venice, CAMay 20, 2013
Good opportunities for professional development and solid staff rapport and sennse of teamwork. An organization with a mission and programs that you can stand behind.
a company that you will love to work for
security officer (Current Employee) –  venice ca 90291March 23, 2013
my typical day at work is very good i meet new clients every day greet them all the time we usually sign up to 150 clients a day to give them services as food,showers etc, and management is super awsome good people to talk to class of respect to one another the co-works are nice to talk when needed help the hardest part of my job is dealing with clients that are drunk, high on illegal drugs or clients that are really sick and need help my most enjoyable part of my job is going to work every day and do my best to greet every single client