St. Joseph Health Employee Reviews

Great people to work with
Surgical Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAJanuary 18, 2019
I love this place. I could
Stay forever if the pay was better and if they had better benefits. Otherwise it’s a geat place to
Work if
You have a family
Cons
Not the best pay
Poor management/unsafe working conditions. Lots of turnover, equipment in bad shape, no leadership. Do not waste your time.
Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Napa, CAJanuary 18, 2019
The Engineering Department is ran unsafe and poor Management. No room for advancement. No training. Very poor wages. Dead end career at this place. This is a place to waste your talent under the current management and leadership.
Pros
There is always work
Cons
Poor management, no training, unsafe working conditions, poor wages, no raises, no growth, need to suck up to manager for advancement, do not recommend job
Great working experience
MRI CLINICAL EXTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Napa, CA 94558January 16, 2019
Fast paced working environment. Gained the knowledge of how to successfully perform MRI exams. Great experience in using my patient care skills and amazing MRI technologist workers.
Good people, good atmosphere.
Chaplain intern (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXDecember 30, 2018
Loved working there. Good place, good people to work for. Employment opportunities limited because of denominational requirements of the organization.
you don't want to know
RN (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXDecember 9, 2018
i thought this would be good place to live and work. this is until they start to pry into my personal life and fired my because of some medical reasons. don't get sick and expect to keep your job.
Culture has changed
Staff Nurse ll (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CADecember 7, 2018
I have spent 32 years at St. Joseph’s Health and have I observed it becoming a less desirable place to work than ever! The management is always changing and therefore inconsistent. It is a truly hostile work environment that puts profit over healthcare . There is very little support for the nursing staff to do their jobs safely and efficiently. Our voices are not heard. That being said, I feel that the caregivers themselves are excellent even in that environment. I would not recommend any new grad to work for this organization until their focus changes.
Great team but lacking management
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CANovember 29, 2018
Great team but lacking management. Lacking communication between staff, management, and physicians. There are many things that needs to be changed to improve work flows and culture.
Good work/life balance
OFFICE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CANovember 5, 2018
My executive director was very aware of the stressful nature working in the operating room. There was always an open door policy to speak with the director. It was important to the executive director that staff felt they were able to speak without fear of reprisal. She believed in work life balance and promoted it often in the office.
Pros
Cons
Salary, no advancement for non-clinical staff
Great culture
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAOctober 22, 2018
I loved working at Mission Hospital. The culture is wonderful and people really care.
There have been many changes over the past 3 years or so with the merger of Providence and the new regulations the healthcare industry is going through.
Pros
Culture, people
Cons
changes in the healthcare industry
I loved my job, but my boss was mean
EKG/EEG Technician (Former Employee) –  Petaluma, CAOctober 17, 2018
I could feel the tension the year I got laid off. I was only 24 hour part-time person, but that year I worked 4 months straight with only one day off the entire 4 months. A full time person works a minimum of 2080 hours for the entire 12 months. I, as a part-time person worked 2400 hours by Aug 16th, 2013, my last day because I was laid off. I was scared to say no because management would threaten that they would give my job to someone else. This happened over the course of 4 years. it was extremely uncomfortable
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Shady Bosses
Great place to work.
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXOctober 13, 2018
This is a great place to work, it is just huge. 1 hospital with 2 campuses, and a LTAC, plus multiple clinics. Has childcare off site along with a gym. I worked renal, oncology, and LTAC. The hardest part of my job was also the most enjoyable in Oncology.
Pros
salaries were good and fair.
Cons
very large campus
productive and fun place
Imaging Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAOctober 8, 2018
No matter who and what title you had the staff would always make sure that you fit in, the doctors were nice and ever one got along
the hospital always had incentives for us
Pros
such good incentives
Cons
breaks were tough sometime
Choose Not to respond
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, CASeptember 27, 2018
Poor Managment the company is based on favoritism not on job performance,Lost of compassion for patients care id based on $$ years ago it used to be a good company to work for not anymore
if your not part of management favorite forget about about it.
Union doesnt help at all
Pros
Cons
Management Controlled Favoritism
St. Joseph's takes pride to ensure patient's are treated excellently.
Associate Patient Access Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Orange, CASeptember 20, 2018
Overall, St. Joseph's takes pride to ensure patient's satisfaction is priority. From an employee's standpoint, this is is reassuring knowing the staff would take upmost care if you as an individual where to step through our doors.

Now, from an employee's to an employer's point of view, the roles are competitive and the hours are constantly changing. Staffing seems to be a challenge as many people call out in various departments, which cause an influx of hours for staff currently working the emergency floor/multiple departments. It seems great to be in this position; however, with the increase of hours per shift over the amount of shifts per week, this will exhaust you and not provide a balanced lifestyle.
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Napa, CASeptember 19, 2018
Good benefits and great opportunities to learn and advance.

Work load is balanced, leadership provides transparency and a clear vision of attainable goals and realistic plan to achieve them.
Excellent staff
Speech-Language Pathologist Per Diem (Current Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CASeptember 13, 2018
Love the staff here (with the exception of a few doctors). Everyone is kind, friendly and cares about patient care. The productivity expectations are high but manageable if you have worked in health care before. Pay for part time/per diem isn't competitive and you do not get any of the perks of the full time staff, but I love my coworkers so I suppose that makes it even! I truly enjoy working here.
Bad Company. Stay away!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CASeptember 12, 2018
Led by a management that does not care about the concerns of its employees. And while the upper-level management is focused on their own agendas, they don't do the job of working with staff and mid-level management. So many people are dissatisfied and their concerns are completely ignored. While the company focuses on M&A with its merger with Providence, it does little to instill a corporate culture where there is transparency and open communication. As a result, people get siloed, and a few people in upper-level management are dictating how things are run. A very poorly-run corporate culture that is unfortunate considering the potential for much more. Highly recommended to stay away and go to a better organization like Kaiser!
Poor mission and value follow through
Lead Surgical Technologist, Surgical Services (Former Employee) –  Napa, CASeptember 6, 2018
Fail to incorporate strong pathways for advancement. Inability to support their employees advancements. Poor pay scale. Detached leadership. Mission and value systems are not projected on the continuum of care for the patient. Lack strong support to the employees.
Clean environment
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 6, 2018
The managers are awesome the cleanness of the hospital is always clean we use certain methods to I sure the clean ness of the hospital spotless cleaning is our goal
Pros
Insurance
Food Service
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAAugust 30, 2018
Flexible hours but low pay. Job was taking food orders and delivering patient trays.
Enjoyed the time with patients and co-workers were very friendly.
Management changed frequently, run by outside company-Aramark.
Most employees are hardworking individuals who are loyal to the cause and enjoy the sense of community and helping the public.
People at the top need to be replaced, poor management and all the money going to them instead of their employees.
Pros
Good Food and Nice Co-workers
Cons
Low Wages and Expensive Benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Joseph Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at St. Joseph Health.

Powered by Comparably