St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
Happiness rating is 72 out of 100

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Reviews: Working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

United States359 reviews

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose

Great atmosphere! Fun people to work with.

I was an intern for ALSAC St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital Mid - Atlantic region located in Arlington, VA. ALSAC is the fundraising arm for the main Hospital in Memphis, TN. The Mid - Atlantic region is just one of many regions of ALSAC across the country. While interning at the office of the Mid - Atlantic region, I helped organize events and galas that were held in order to help raise money for the Children's Hospital. I attended two, one at the end of February of 2013 which was held in Washington, D.C. and the other in May of 2013 which was held at the Trump National Golf Club in Potomac Falls, VA. My work varied from putting together excel spreadsheets, power points, Adobe photoshop projects and helping to put together the weekly newsletter for the parents of patients who were from the Mid - Atlantic region. I also attended various exhibitions in the Washington, D.C. area in order to promote different fundraising activities for the Hospital, such as sponsoring a Hospital Patient in the 2013 Memphis Marathon. Though working to prepare for the various events was a difficult task, it gave me great pleasure on the night of the events, as I knew that no matter how small my contribution was, I still played a role in helping everything run smoothly. Interning at ALSAC was an enriching experience because it was my first step into the real world. At the end of each day, I felt happy that I had been given an opportunity, though indirectly, to help the various patients of the Hospital through my manny small but substantial contributions to the ALSAC team. My co - workers were -

Bad administration

The administration can do anything to staff. The main administration does not known what happens behind close doors.The direct Administrator for surgery is not fair with the employees.

Benefits

Cons

Administration

high rate of excellence with a high bar of achievement expected

many overachievers who are experts in their field but definitely no room for error and no grace for a learning curve; nursing management tended to have a hidden agency and lacked transparency

Pros

incredible institution with lots of opportunities for personal and professional growth

Cons

no life work balance with no tolerance for anything less than perfection

St.Jude has an amazingly talented staff, who are dedicated to the research and patients

Your ability to advance and learn is hindered only by your own actions and limitations. The benefits are amazing and there is a real sense of community across the board, regardless of position or job title.

Takes its toll

The environment and types of patients you treat will take its toll on you no matter how much self care you do. You need to have a strong work ethic to be here.

Pros

Weekend program

Cons

Management in Nursing

I am so fortunate to work at Saint Jude. All my co-workers are knowledgeable and passionate about doing what’s best for the patients. Such a rewarding work!

One of the better places to work in memphis.

It is one of the better places to work in Memphis. The pay is competitive, time off is nice, and the benefits package is good. That being said, Memphis is spiraling downward with no clear future. St. Jude is one of the few things Memphis has to offer.

Pros

Benefits, time off, discounts

Cons

favoritism, political

I have learned in my career that your management chain can make or break your experience within any organization. Standards and procedures in IT were limited, if they even existed. I enjoye the organization, but the IT leadership was wanting.

Pros

Organizational vision, employee activities

Cons

Management inability to make decisions. Parking was a nightmare.

Management really set you up to handle your business. As long as you just handled it they would have your back at all times. One of my managers even noticed I wasn't laughing as much because I was stressed (external things) and checked up on me. She definitely made me feel as if she cares.

Pros

Good Pay, Great environment

Cons

most IT helpdesk was contracted and no benefits hurts you in the long run

Helping families get through one day at a time.

Great benefits! Great place for the white collar employees when it comes to salaries. They have a great retirement plan as of right now. Yearly inflation raise in salaries for the blue collar employees is 1 to 3 percent of a low salary which isn’t great. You will need another source of income such as a part time job to make up the salary difference and afford the high cost of living. Time off from work is great.

Pros

Extra holidays added some years. Great retirement plan. Great medical benefits

Cons

You will need a second source of income

Great place to work. Great Benefits

St. Jude is a very diverse place to work. The employees are amazing. Everyone is working for the greater good of finding cures for the families and children.

Pros

Great Pay and Benefits

Cons

Short staffed at some times

St. Jude is a great place to work but certain departments, not so much!!

St. Jude as a company is awesome! Our CEO and higher up managers/board members are all about their employees. The company does a good job with showing appreciation and boasting work moral. Saying all that to say, tread lightly with your choice of departments. Not all departments follow St. Jude's values and morals. Epidemiology has a very high turn over rate. Management does not support their employees. Does not care about moral. They have a "crack the whip" mentality with no good job, thank you for what you do, etc. Please question the departments turn-over rate before you take the position.

Great

Great place to work but the people u work with or management but I loved it there with the patients I swear best place I loved being around the kids great vibe

Fun Working Enviroment

As a housekeeper, I get to see people from all over the world come to St.jsude to get treatment and I to see the smile on the child's face when I go in to clean and give them a little laugh it makes my day and that's the reason in still here

Good pay and great job culture!

I love working at St.Jude. They pay well and everyone is very friendly and helpful. As a student, I was offered more than enough flexibility and accommodations to keep my work/ school balance.

A good place to work. There are not many healthcare facilities where I live will do as much for there employees as they do. They believe that employee satisfaction leads to patient satisfaction.

Pros

Benefits, cares about employees, job security

Cons

Short staff at times

Outbound call rep

Great place to work. Great work environment. Great benefits. We were treated well and the organization is very organized. There is also a lot of opportunity to grow.

Pros

Great pay and benefits

Cons

Short breaks

Working for this mission is incredibly rewarding.

The best feelng in the world working for this mission to save children from unbeatable disases. The Organization is well run, but the volunteer led structure is daunting at times. They let the Volunteers call the shots in all situations.

Pros

Flex time, generous with holidays, extra time off, company car

Cons

We worked long hours, the Voluneers called the shots, Always, Multiple events happening simultaneously

Internship was phenomenal

This place was so great to intern and just being able to see how everyone worked and all the work they do was truly eye opening for me. If i didn't choose a degree to go to college for or i didn't know what to do with my time, this would have been the choice. The work ethnic was fast paced and productive it was amazing.

Pros

Nice people, events, Flexible schedule

Cons

A few people whom seemed to have a unpleasant demeanor

One of the best places to. Work. They really have. a compassionate heart to help the kids. Managers can be really toxic- but the great work goes on. They have to get rid of toxic leaders

Brilliant place to work and grow from

● Work-life balanceThe amount of time I was employed for St Jude not only did I enjoyed the years but the my coworkers were my family● Pay & benefitsThere benefits are way better and worth it● Job security and advancementDo not open files that does not pertain to your work or your data do not click on certain links● ManagementThe management is brilliant working and understanding your needs first● CultureEveryone from all over gtow to be one big happy family they take what the have and turn it to a positive● OverallI love St Jude and I hope they get larger than what they really are and that making sure no child dies in the dawn of light keep up the good work JUDE

Common questions about St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Answered by current and former employees at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.5

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.
Powered byComparably