St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Employee Reviews

Good benefits. Bad work culture.
Administrative Specialist to Division Chief (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 10, 2019
The bottom line is management is always right - even when proven wrong. Lower level positions are designed to take the fall for higher level positions and are dispensable at whim. HR works for management not staff. It's a shame since such amazing work is being done there. If only they cared as much for staff as they do the clients and MDs.
Pros
Benefits. Cafeteria.
Cons
Zero job security. No one has your back. High turn around.
Excellent establishment
Certified Pharmacy Technician Specialist (Current Employee) –  Östergötlands LänFebruary 12, 2019
Wonderful rewarding jobs with excellent benefits but they do not advance their employees past a certain level. Work level is high with multiple assigned jobs and expectations of doing the work with no down time to accomplish everthing. Known for assigning people jobs with excellent feedback but never promoting someone to do that job when it expands. Always want someone with most secondary education as opposed to work experience.
Pros
benefits mission
Cons
No advancement for proven employees
Such an inspirational place to work
Senior Clinical Staff Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 11, 2018
Such an innovative and inspirational place to work. There is an amazing work-life balance and our leadership is very innovative and always willing to listen to the employees. St. Jude always provides tools for their employees to succeed and move up on the career ladder.
Pros
Work-Life balance
They are always working for betterment
Call Quality Analyst (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 16, 2018
The hospital and the fundraising arm ALSAC work like a well oiled machine. They hire the most talented people who truly care for the life saving mission they work for.
Even though they do a wonderful job at what they do, they are always looking to improve. It is a testament to their success and for the happiness of their employees.
Pros
Caring staff, free training, advancement opportunities, great benefits.
my review
Sr. HAZARDOUS CHEMICAL TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 22, 2018
the challenging, time management, handle the complex arise
management lack training
culture great
hardest fair wages
enjoyable child cure saving life
Pros
vacation
Cons
poor salary
Unfriendly environment, poor management
Lead Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 17, 2018
St. Jude offers an excellent salary and benefit package. Educational advancement is encouraged and offered. The culture is unfriendly. Staff do not support each other and are rude when you ask for help. The customer service of staff members to other staff is poor. Managerial feedback is needed. St. Jude is very political within. Favoritism is shown.
Pros
Great salary and benefits
Cons
Unfriendly environment, very political
fun place
Nurse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 19, 2018
The kids are amazing and have so many activities to help them cope with their disease and life changes. However, the management could improve communication among all levels of management.
benefits
Cons
poor work life balance in my department
Driven to be great
HAZARDOUS MATERIAL TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 26, 2018
I started each day gathering the team to organize the daily tasks, I learned supervisory skills and team building also, had to train management every year had no manager that was willing to stay and learn and build with the team, the hardest part was going behind unsafe work practices, because in my line of work in could get you hurt or killed, the most enjoyable was seeing the kids everyday and knowing what I did helped in saving a life, also learning the chemical, biological and infectious waste aspects of the job and responding to all the emergencies.
Pros
Seeing the kids and watching them beat the tough hand they were dealt
Cons
Poor Management
I enjoy working with the people in my department.
Facilities Attendant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 22, 2018
I enjoy the people I work with, it's like your working family. what makes the job worthwhile is because we work as a team and support each other. Enjoying see how happy the employee putting a smile on the children faces.
Pros
enjoy the people i work with
Cons
management does not balance the work fair
St. Jude is excellent
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 11, 2019
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is an excellent place to work. The benefits package is comprehensive, and the company really cares about staff getting time off. There are plenty of perks, pay is good, and everyone cares about the mission.
Pros
great cafeteria staff
Cons
company growth is so fast, sometimes hard for support services to keep up
Wonderful place to work
(Exec) Admin Assistant-Marketing Division (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 17, 2018
I worked for ALSAC, the fundraising division of St. Jude. The atmosphere is wonderful. It is a collaborative focus to do whatever it takes to help the children. The CEO cares about his employees. He has an open door policy and does not ask anyone to do anything that he would not do himself.
ALSAC appreciates their employees and gives nice incentives to keep morale high. Benefits are good.
Sometimes it is hard to get paid for the work you are doing. I would say HR is the weakest link, but not as bad as other places.
Pros
Ceo, atmosphere, your mission
Cons
Not comparable pay, difficulty with advancement
Excellent place to work
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 8, 2019
St Jude fosters an environment that everyone wants to do their best in order to fulfill the mission that no child should perish from cancer. The workplace culture is phenomenal.
Example of a great company that can be ruined by poor management.
Pediatric sedation RN (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 20, 2018
Example of a great company that can be ruined by poor management. This is an outstanding place to work. Great pay, great benefits. Awesome job. However if you have the unfortunate circumstance of working for a ineffective manager and a cut-throat out for blood director then even the best jobs can make you miserable! Overall I recommend working here but beware of certain managers (ask someone to tell you the "safe" places to apply).
Pros
Benefits, salary.
Cons
Management problems all the way to the CNO level.
Bad place to work
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 2, 2018
very racist place to work always bullied by the nurses would not recommend anyone to work here unless your white go for it its all about with privileges at St. Jude if it isn't white it ain't right .
Pros
benefits/ kids
Cons
Racist facility
Great Place to Work
Nuclear Medicine Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 27, 2018
7am-5pm Routine for my position
I have learned a lot at St. Jude, management, Pediatric imaging
Communication with parents and explaining of the procedures.

A very rewarding place to work

The hardest part was to see sick kids and worried parents with them.

The EXIT Exam day of the Cancer Free Kids.
Pros
Luncheons
Cons
To see worried and concerned parents for their kids!
St. Jude Management
Sr. Regional Development Manager/ALSAC (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 11, 2018
St. Jude is a great organization to work for. Unfortunately, the current management is terrible in being supportive of those not in management. Managers hired over the past few years have been subpar in following through with promises, delegating their own tasks to those below, and not helping to pull their weight within their office or division. There are more chiefs hired than Indians to take on the workload.
Pros
Comp days
Cons
Amount of work load.
It's ok for those that don't have family obligations or illnesses
Patient Accounts Representative (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 9, 2018
It can be a good place to work depending on your direct management. The CEO is outstanding and seems to love everybody. Wish I could have retired from here.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Not good if you have illnessess
Clinical Research job with an odd job title
Clinical Research job (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 4, 2018
I took a mid- high-level clinical research position at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, and was happy to be a permanent employee instead of a contractor like at my previous position.
The St. Jude job title for the position I accepted was odd, and I knew right away that it didn't match the degree requirements or job description. My gut feeling was telling me that this was wrong, but I tried to put it aside and not think about it, because I was afraid of coming across as shallow. They didn't seem to care about the mismatch either, because they think they are so awesome and everybody wants to work there, that you should just be thankful to work there at all regardless of your job title. The work I did in that role was extra strenuous, and more prestigious and higher level compared to most standard clinical research jobs. However, when I needed to find another job, prospective employers blacklisted me because of my St. Jude job title. Come to find out, they didn't care at all about the neat job duties that I got to do, because they couldn't prove it anyway and just thought I was embellishing my resume. The ONLY thing future employers look at is your job title. It took me years for another company to just give me a chance, but they hired me at a somewhat demeaning demotion and drastic painful pay cut that put my family in an awkward position and change of life style. When I started working at my new job, my new manager alluded to me in conversation that the lower level job I got there was because of the St. Jude job title. I really got screwed over. Lessons learned - Always
  more... go with your initial gut feeling; and even if job titles do not matter to you, they matter later for your livelihood and to future employers.  less
Pros
benefits, pretty buildings, nice coworkers
Cons
high stress, no opportunity for job advancement, uneven distribution of work load between departments
Great Place to Work
Clinical Research Associate II (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 7, 2018
Currently have 10 years vested with the company. The company culture is very vested in the mission. Beautiful campus, benefits are fantastic, most departments are willing to work with employees to balance professional and private lives.
St Jude
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 17, 2019
I really enjoyed my time with St. Jude, meet so many new people and it felt good helping those I could help. I built friendships with patient's family and coworkers and I still keep in contact with some of the families.
Benefits
Cons
death of a child

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP30%
In the Top 30% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

Powered by Comparably