St. Louis Arc Employee Reviews

Place to Work
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 21, 2018
This position can be challenging at times. I would recommend for people who have held DSP positions in the past. Compensation is fairly low for the work required.
Work Life Balance
Employment Services (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 1, 2018
Great organization for individuals who are looking for their first job or less stressful jobs. Perfect for new graduates and retirees. Family is first.
Great
Campus Residential Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 14, 2018
This is a wonderful place to work. MANAGEMENT IS GREAT. Everyone is very nice. it feels like home when you're at work. Everyone is a team player. Very very happy im here
ok place to work at
Personal Assistant & House Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 17, 2018
This was and ok place to work at. No room for advancement. They did have incentives and rewards for the employees. Not much to say. Gave me experience in the field.
the residents are good
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 4, 2018
i like the residents that I take care of. I have been in the same ouse almost years. I have gotten pretty close with the ladies but the job does not pay enough.
Pros
outings
Cons
stressful, not much money.
Na
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Creve Coeur, MOSeptember 7, 2017
A typical day at work consist of getting my clients out of bed bathing and dressing them. Cooking meals and maybe assisting with feeding. Basically light housekeeping and making sure the consumers area is clean and sanitized.
Pros
You can eat with the consumers
Cons
Doesn't pay enough
Not a good place to work if you have a family
Employee (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 13, 2017
They want you to put St. Louis Arc above all other aspects of your life. Specifically, I was told, "I understand your children have sports and other activities and that your family has get-togethers, but you need to make sure you are putting your job first." This was with ample notification of needing off and missing many of my children's activities to work instead. Also, the pay is VERY low, though I understand that may be due to it being a non-profit. However, the majority of the people working there are very pleasant and put on a positive front while working, which made it much more tolerable.
Pros
Positivity, lots of hours
Cons
no work/life balance, low pay
Low pay, Poor management
Community Support Specialist CSS (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 6, 2017
Very low pay for a highly stressful job, high turn around position, so management doesn't care about job retention or about the employees work/home balance.
Pros
Close coworkers
Cons
Everything else
High Energy & Quick thinking needed!
COMMUNITY SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Community IntegrationMarch 22, 2017
The ARC is a great organization to work for. You must LOVE to serve others with your heart!
The Community Support Specialist position requires you to have a car that you WILL USE every day you work. You will have wear and tear and your car will show it!
With that said, they will compensate .50 per mile.
You are expected to understand a variety of disabilities and be aware of cues when working with individuals in the community in order to have a positive experience for the individuals you work for. You will plan the day with a group of up to 4 - and take in account each Individual plan and goals.
The documentation process is computerized.
As a current employee, I employ you to take this in mind: This is a labor of LOVE. NOT a job to make a paycheck by. Please apply if you will make the individuals FIRST.
Pros
Co workers that work together
Cons
Your car will run into the ground! + Low PAY . No Insurance.
Not a good place for minority employees
Staff (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 2, 2016
The Arc is gaining a reputation as not being a good place for minority employees. Many us who run into each other socially all have similar experiences. If given a choice, go to Easter Seals.
Pros
Provides excellent support to clients
Cons
Horrible relationship with African American employees and virtually no Hispanic presence.
Rewarding workplace
Substitute Elementary Teacher (Current Employee) –  Florissant, MOJuly 22, 2016
I enjoy helping others. I have learned to adapt to whatever environment I am in that day. I have also learned that some people treat individuals with disabilities in a respectful manner and some people are cruel. It is a rewarding job but mentally exhausting with little pay.
Pros
No day is ever the same
Cons
Watching people age and health decline
very productive and fun place to work
Assistant Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOOctober 20, 2015
management is very professional, very helpful and knowledgeable about the individuals we support. i had some awesome co workers, very hard working and helpful. helping the individuals we support live their lives as normal as possible and achieve their goals was the most enjoyable part about the job. ive learned a lot about the different diagnosis of the individuals we support.
Pros
helping the individuals we support
Cons
raises
Great short term option
Employment Advisor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 6, 2015
Great company to work for but there is no advancement and the pay is low. You will not get a raise and may have to pull double duty every once in a while.
Pros
co workers
Cons
pay
As a volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 21, 2015
The staff were open and welcoming to new volunteers and very helpful with allowing volunteers to get acclimated to the environment. There are many volunteer opportunities here and the staff makes sure that you are volunteering with in an area that is a good fit to your personality as well as beneficial to the clients.
High energy, coaching and training.
Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 2, 2015
This position requires a high energy person with creative ideas. The position also requires case management so writing skills are a must. Great work environment, awesome co-workers and chance for advancement.
Weekend Respite Worker
Camp Staff Partner (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 10, 2014
I worked here for about 2 years (every other weekend 10 months out of the year) until they changed locations. I got my first taste of nursing while at this job and it motivated me to go to school for it. I worked one on one with individuals with developmental disabilities.
Pros
Got to "go to camp" twice a month.
Cons
Changed to a different location that wasn't as interactive for the campers.
Labor of Love
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 14, 2014
It is truly a rewarding job, spiritually. But my car doesn't run on spirit.

Honestly, I loved working there. The job was good and coworkers were great. There are only two real issues I had...

1. No money. They are a state funded non-profit, so they can't afford to pay people what they deserve. But, they are upfront about that from the start. And it isn't like the CEO is pocketing all the profits because there aren't any profits. It's just a low budget organization.

2. There is NO room for advancement. First of all, most of the employees are very young. I was actually shocked at how well everything runs considering the average age is so low. That being said, there aren't many people retiring in the near future. Also, the people that work there do it because they love the job. They don't do it for the money, the power, or the glamour. They do it because the work is rewarding to them. That means they are there for life. I came in at the lowest entry level job they have. The person directly above me has been there for almost 20 years. 20 years and still at the second rung of the ladder.

I just can't justify getting stuck in a place where I would work very hard for just over minimum wage. The organization really is great though.

If you are in school and looking for a part time job, or retired and just want to do something positive with your time (instead of spending all of my social security at the Cracker Barrel), it's an awesome place to be.
Pros
Very rewarding work. Awesome hours. Very laid back. Barely a dress code at all.
Cons
Awful pay. No advancement opportunities
Working good with co-workers
Job Coach- Counselor (Former Employee) –  sT. Louis, MOMay 6, 2014
Well one day I was dealing with an intoxicated guest who wouldn't leave property. I was explaining to him the reason why he had to leave property. He didn't understand English so I spoke it to him in his language and he understood and then left property.
This is a great place to work that is very professional
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 13, 2014
I have worked here for 5 years; my first 3 in a residential setting and that past 2 in a community integration setting. I love working with people and the clients we support.
Pros
Very professional
Cons
Can be tiring but rewarding
fun work place with wonderful co-workers
Direct Support Specialist Level (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 12, 2014
A day on the job was always full of new excitement. Every day was a learning experience on how to support individuals with disabilities.
Pros
every day was a learning exprience
Cons
alot of driving

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Louis Arc. Our community is ready to answer.

St. Louis Arc Reviews by Location