St. Louis Arc Employee Reviews

Competitive and fun work environment
Neighborhood Experiences Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 28, 2019
This was a fun workplace that was competitive with other Non-profits in the area. There was always something going on to help out with an event and always someone willing to lend a hand and help out when needed. Great place to work and get more connected with the community.
Pros
Children interaction; Fun events to plan and attend: Flexing time
Cons
Maybe long hours
Great job
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 29, 2018
The job was a great place to work and made me feel very welcomed. Job security was very goodb multiple houses to work in amy different positions. Being able to help others was the best part.
Nice work environment
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 14, 2018
The company is great at what they do, but the job does not pay enough for the work that is done. The hours are no longer full time and there are no benefits. The job is very meaningful and fulfilling though. I’m not upset going to work everyday.
Disability Support
Disability Direct Support (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 22, 2018
Absolutely love the work environment! I work at the seasonal R&R Camp. I couldn't say anything bad about this job besides for the long hours.I would recommend working here
Ask around first
Assistant Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOAugust 21, 2018
I worked for ARC for over 20 years. Seen a lot in those twenty that was amazingly awe fulfilled. If your parents or Guardian has money and contribute to the Organization , that client is treated so much different. The parents and guardian, believe staff or modern-day slaves. The management is just as bad. Getting put out was the best thing to happen to me. Should have left 10 yrs before, cared about the ppl I was supporting.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Everything else
A very rewarding Job
Employment Advisor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 17, 2018
The pay was very low for the amount of work that was expected of you and hours weekly. The culture could be very hostile at the main office, and management sometimes shared co workers personal business with other co workers.
Pros
Clients and their outcomes
Cons
pay
Place to Work
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 21, 2018
This position can be challenging at times. I would recommend for people who have held DSP positions in the past. Compensation is fairly low for the work required.
Work Life Balance
Employment Services (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 1, 2018
Great organization for individuals who are looking for their first job or less stressful jobs. Perfect for new graduates and retirees. Family is first.
Great
Campus Residential Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 14, 2018
This is a wonderful place to work. MANAGEMENT IS GREAT. Everyone is very nice. it feels like home when you're at work. Everyone is a team player. Very very happy im here
ok place to work at
Personal Assistant & House Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 17, 2018
This was and ok place to work at. No room for advancement. They did have incentives and rewards for the employees. Not much to say. Gave me experience in the field.
the residents are good
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 4, 2018
i like the residents that I take care of. I have been in the same ouse almost years. I have gotten pretty close with the ladies but the job does not pay enough.
Pros
outings
Cons
stressful, not much money.
Na
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Creve Coeur, MOSeptember 7, 2017
A typical day at work consist of getting my clients out of bed bathing and dressing them. Cooking meals and maybe assisting with feeding. Basically light housekeeping and making sure the consumers area is clean and sanitized.
Pros
You can eat with the consumers
Cons
Doesn't pay enough
Not a good place to work if you have a family
Employee (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 13, 2017
They want you to put St. Louis Arc above all other aspects of your life. Specifically, I was told, "I understand your children have sports and other activities and that your family has get-togethers, but you need to make sure you are putting your job first." This was with ample notification of needing off and missing many of my children's activities to work instead. Also, the pay is VERY low, though I understand that may be due to it being a non-profit. However, the majority of the people working there are very pleasant and put on a positive front while working, which made it much more tolerable.
Pros
Positivity, lots of hours
Cons
no work/life balance, low pay
Low pay, Poor management
Community Support Specialist CSS (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 6, 2017
Very low pay for a highly stressful job, high turn around position, so management doesn't care about job retention or about the employees work/home balance.
Pros
Close coworkers
Cons
Everything else
High Energy & Quick thinking needed!
COMMUNITY SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Community IntegrationMarch 22, 2017
The ARC is a great organization to work for. You must LOVE to serve others with your heart!
The Community Support Specialist position requires you to have a car that you WILL USE every day you work. You will have wear and tear and your car will show it!
With that said, they will compensate .50 per mile.
You are expected to understand a variety of disabilities and be aware of cues when working with individuals in the community in order to have a positive experience for the individuals you work for. You will plan the day with a group of up to 4 - and take in account each Individual plan and goals.
The documentation process is computerized.
As a current employee, I employ you to take this in mind: This is a labor of LOVE. NOT a job to make a paycheck by. Please apply if you will make the individuals FIRST.
Pros
Co workers that work together
Cons
Your car will run into the ground! + Low PAY . No Insurance.
Not a good place for minority employees
Staff (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 2, 2016
The Arc is gaining a reputation as not being a good place for minority employees. Many us who run into each other socially all have similar experiences. If given a choice, go to Easter Seals.
Pros
Provides excellent support to clients
Cons
Horrible relationship with African American employees and virtually no Hispanic presence.
Rewarding workplace
Substitute Elementary Teacher (Current Employee) –  Florissant, MOJuly 22, 2016
I enjoy helping others. I have learned to adapt to whatever environment I am in that day. I have also learned that some people treat individuals with disabilities in a respectful manner and some people are cruel. It is a rewarding job but mentally exhausting with little pay.
Pros
No day is ever the same
Cons
Watching people age and health decline
very productive and fun place to work
Assistant Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOOctober 20, 2015
management is very professional, very helpful and knowledgeable about the individuals we support. i had some awesome co workers, very hard working and helpful. helping the individuals we support live their lives as normal as possible and achieve their goals was the most enjoyable part about the job. ive learned a lot about the different diagnosis of the individuals we support.
Pros
helping the individuals we support
Cons
raises
Great short term option
Employment Advisor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 6, 2015
Great company to work for but there is no advancement and the pay is low. You will not get a raise and may have to pull double duty every once in a while.
Pros
co workers
Cons
pay
As a volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 21, 2015
The staff were open and welcoming to new volunteers and very helpful with allowing volunteers to get acclimated to the environment. There are many volunteer opportunities here and the staff makes sure that you are volunteering with in an area that is a good fit to your personality as well as beneficial to the clients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Louis Arc. Our community is ready to answer.