St. Louis Public Library Employee Reviews

Wonderful patrons and coworkers... awful leadership
Librarian (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 24, 2019
Working at SLPL could have been a truly wonderful job, but management was never on the same page and different branches were given different levels of autonomy and freedoms. Management explicitly stated that HR would not rescue staff from conflicts with them, and expectations were difficult to meet due to high volume of patrons and other daily needs.
6 month probationary period allows management to terminate people without explanation, and there is no sick time allotted for people in probation period.
Complete lack of support or communication from leadership, no morale boosting, and an actual culture of secrecy and denial for fear of losing one’s job.
I wish I’d approached HR about many concerns when I had the chance.

And yet, the staff and patrons were a joy to serve. Could’ve been an amazing place.
Pros
Diverse community, pleasant coworkers
Cons
No leadership communication, no integrity, no advancement, low pay
I loved the employees and most of the work that I did at the St. Louis Public Library
Helo Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 28, 2018
I should have stayed there longer. I wasn't the most naturally gifted person for my job, but they really made me feel like I was a good employee and I really enjoyed installing the new equipment in the Library
Pros
Great Staff, very encouraging people
Cons
Not hardly any
Decent Volunteer Opportunity
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 15, 2018
I cannot speak for all branches of SLPL, but the one I volunteered at was really relaxed and slow-paced. It was a good position if you enjoyed minimal interaction with people, but the work was slightly tedious and redundant. I personally enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere, but I could not see myself working there as an actual employee because I prefer more interaction, and I did not the few interactions I had to be restricted to children and the occasional person who only needed assistance for a few minutes. My supervisors were really nice and patient with me, and it was very easy to talk to all of the staff.
Pros
Flexible hours, relaxed environment
Cons
Repetitive tasks, minimal interaction with others, slow-paced
appreciate the opportunity to get to work at the St Louis Public Library
Security Officer (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 16, 2018
St Louis Public Library was a great place to work for you had eight other libraries that you had to attend to and take care of once the month you had to go and do a survey expect them make sure everything was running fine St Louis Public Library was that amazing beautiful place to work for the people were great the patrons were sweet a lot of walking did not mind met a lot of people from different countries different states worked with a lot of secondary officers Ranger St Louis Police Department Marshalls and sheriffs it was amazing to work there a Saint Louis Public Library
Pros
you would get an hour for lunch
Not for Moms
Circulation Clerk (Current Employee) –  St.louisAugust 15, 2018
No room for advancement hours are too long. Job would be perfect for someone with no kids or a college student. Pay is low and some neighborhood branches are horrible
Pros
Meet really nice people
Cons
Short breaks hours are stupid!
Shelver
Shelver (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 23, 2018
A typical day for a shelver is that you're on your feet for a few hours pulling and shelving books and other library material if you are working 2 to 3 hours a day with no break in-between, the workplace for the most part is fine but nothing to really brag about. There is nothing really hard about this job, but you do need to get a good understanding about the Dewey Decimal system and know where everything is located, sometimes. I like my job, helping others and doing special projects but after a while, it gets frustrating, low pay, politics and other bs.
Pros
If your working 4 hours, shelvers get a 15 minute break, 5 hours or more get a 30 minute break.
Cons
No health or vacation benifits, low pay, management are not always on the same page (most of the time), worst neighborhood for a regional library, and no time and a half if you work Sundays. This job can get boring after a while.
I enjoy it here.
Helpdesk Computer Technician (Current Employee) –  Admin BuildingJune 26, 2018
There was a time I'd considered leaving, as it was difficult to get a handle on what I was doing. But after about a year, it got a lot easier and our team has really come together in the past year.
Able to use my skills to help the community.
Library Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 25, 2018
A typical day in an inner city branch library was very busy indeed. I was very grateful that off-duty St. Louis Police officers were proving security as the neighborhood had active gang activity.

I was able to employ my reference skills as a paraprofessional, and I enjoyed the variety of my job.
Pros
Exciting multiethnic clientele.
Cons
Criminal neighborhood.
I liked helping kids
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 24, 2018
I started off as only a volunteer because I need 300 hours for school, but I think a library is a good place to look at for a job. The managers are nice and you don't have to rush with anything.
Not enough bread
Youth Services Provider (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 18, 2018
The SLPL is okay place to work depending on the supervisor. What I experienced was a lot of politics and bs. Always in some form or fashion trying to pass the buck. If you have an outside life and your working full-time at a neighborhood branch and not a regional branch, you might as well hang it up because your day is going to be pretty much gone. Management experience could have been way better on their end. And the amount of work they want someone to does not match up to the pay. If I had any suggestions about this experience, I would say GO TO THE COUNTY the pay waaaay more!
Productive and fun work place
Homework Helper (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 16, 2018
Working with the children was enjoyable. The craft activities were exciting an fun. Students worked on homework assignments and enjoyed socialization with each other.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no benefits
Homework Helper (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 21, 2018
I enjoyed working here. The hours were great and the staff is friendly. Compensation is low in comparison to private tutoring groups. Would recommend to anyone who enjoys working with children and is looking for very few hours a week.
Fun Workplace
Homework Helper (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 22, 2018
As homework helper at the Carondelet Branch, the days are sometimes full of people or the library is almost a ghost town. But my job allows me to do my college work.
Good job, Sad Pay
Public Technology Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 18, 2017
Assisting patrons with materials in branch. Great job, hours not too bad depending on neighborhood branch or regional..regionals. Great staff, low pay
Pros
Easy job, great patrons, Knowledge everywhere!
Cons
Pay, Mgmt
Fun place to work with not great pay
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 19, 2017
I love working for the library, and I love my job here. The people I work with are very friendly, and overall there is a good culture here. The problem is that since it's a nonprofit library in the city, the pay isn't very good. Also, some departments have very little room for advancement, forcing people to max out on salary for years at a time or forcing them to find better opportunities. This is not a job I hate coming to, and my boss & coworkers are all pleasant to work with.

If you want to work at a library and that is more important to you than a big paycheck, this is the place to come. If and when I leave this company it'll be a sad day because I'm honestly happy with my job here.
Pros
working for a library, 3 weeks PTO, good insurance, pension plan
Cons
paycheck, PTO accrual system is slow, no room for advancement
Slow-paced
Shelver Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 26, 2016
Management has a trust that lets you be laid back
Slow paced so its not too difficult
Easy to learn and manage
Hardest part is finding things to do since it can be so slow sometimes
Pros
Slow paced
Cons
Might be a little boring
A Great Institution That Lost Its Way
PR and Content Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 4, 2016
I always hoped that I would finish my professional career at the library. After 15-plus years of waiting in vain for positive change, it was time to make my own.
Pros
WONDERFUL coworkers who share a passionate desire to serve the people of St. Louis.
Cons
Leadership that is insular at best.
Ok place to work
Library Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOMarch 22, 2016
I worked for this employer for 1 year. Management and co-workers were nice. The pay could have been better for the amount of work you have to do.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Not much room for advancement
often fast-paced with a friendly atmosphere
Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 5, 2015
Typically, I create several patron accounts per day while also checking items in and out and taking in money for fines. People that come in are generally friendly. The management at my branch does their best to make everyone comfortable and welcome, among employees and patrons. Co-workers are great with each other and treat each other with equal respect. There are seldom very significant disagreements. The hardest part of the job is probably dealing with patrons that seem set on making things difficult. The best part of the job is meeting lots of new people each day from all walks of life and working with supportive people.
Pros
solid benefits
Cons
schedule sometimes fluxuates
A decent employer that has the possiblity to be a great employer
Technician (Current Employee) –  1301 Olive St.June 6, 2015
Although I have learned many things during my employment with SLPL, many of the lessons I have experienced by way of some form of oppression (i.e.harrasment, abuse of power, and invasion of privacy).
Pros
Diverse work environment
Cons
lack of integrity

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Louis Public Library. Our community is ready to answer.

St. Louis Public Library Reviews by Location