St. Louis Public Library Employee Review

View all St. Louis Public Library reviews

often fast-paced with a friendly atmosphere
Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 5, 2015
Typically, I create several patron accounts per day while also checking items in and out and taking in money for fines. People that come in are generally friendly. The management at my branch does their best to make everyone comfortable and welcome, among employees and patrons. Co-workers are great with each other and treat each other with equal respect. There are seldom very significant disagreements. The hardest part of the job is probably dealing with patrons that seem set on making things difficult. The best part of the job is meeting lots of new people each day from all walks of life and working with supportive people.
Pros
solid benefits
Cons
schedule sometimes fluxuates

Other St. Louis Public Library Employee Reviews

Library work
Adult Outreach Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 15, 2019
I've held three positions in three different departments. Great benefits. Lots of free time but need to look busy. Managers tend to micromanage. Only with the PTA position did I have a good management. Employees are not encouraged to be innovative. Jobs are rigid and wrote. You get a quick overview training, Then you really learn the job as you work. You'll need a specific library degree to advance to management. Would recommend if you like structure, reliable income, and responsiblities that don't evolve.
Benefits
Cons
Micromangement
Wonderful patrons and coworkers... awful leadership
Librarian (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 24, 2019
Working at SLPL could have been a truly wonderful job, but management was never on the same page and different branches were given different levels of autonomy and freedoms. Management explicitly stated that HR would not rescue staff from conflicts with them, and expectations were difficult to meet due to high volume of patrons and other daily needs.
6 month probationary period allows management to terminate people without explanation, and there is no sick time allotted for people in probation period.
Complete lack of support or communication from leadership, no morale boosting, and an actual culture of secrecy and denial for fear of losing one’s job.
I wish I’d approached HR about many concerns when I had the chance.

And yet, the staff and patrons were a joy to serve. Could’ve been an amazing place.
Pros
Diverse community, pleasant coworkers
Cons
No leadership communication, no integrity, no advancement, low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Louis Public Library. Our community is ready to answer.

St. Louis Public Library Reviews by Location