St. Louis Public Library Employee Review

View all St. Louis Public Library reviews

Shelver
Shelver (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 23, 2018
A typical day for a shelver is that you're on your feet for a few hours pulling and shelving books and other library material if you are working 2 to 3 hours a day with no break in-between, the workplace for the most part is fine but nothing to really brag about. There is nothing really hard about this job, but you do need to get a good understanding about the Dewey Decimal system and know where everything is located, sometimes. I like my job, helping others and doing special projects but after a while, it gets frustrating, low pay, politics and other bs.
Pros
If your working 4 hours, shelvers get a 15 minute break, 5 hours or more get a 30 minute break.
Cons
No health or vacation benifits, low pay, management are not always on the same page (most of the time), worst neighborhood for a regional library, and no time and a half if you work Sundays. This job can get boring after a while.

Other St. Louis Public Library Employee Reviews

Library work
Adult Outreach Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 15, 2019
I've held three positions in three different departments. Great benefits. Lots of free time but need to look busy. Managers tend to micromanage. Only with the PTA position did I have a good management. Employees are not encouraged to be innovative. Jobs are rigid and wrote. You get a quick overview training, Then you really learn the job as you work. You'll need a specific library degree to advance to management. Would recommend if you like structure, reliable income, and responsiblities that don't evolve.
Benefits
Cons
Micromangement
Wonderful patrons and coworkers... awful leadership
Librarian (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 24, 2019
Working at SLPL could have been a truly wonderful job, but management was never on the same page and different branches were given different levels of autonomy and freedoms. Management explicitly stated that HR would not rescue staff from conflicts with them, and expectations were difficult to meet due to high volume of patrons and other daily needs.
6 month probationary period allows management to terminate people without explanation, and there is no sick time allotted for people in probation period.
Complete lack of support or communication from leadership, no morale boosting, and an actual culture of secrecy and denial for fear of losing one’s job.
I wish I’d approached HR about many concerns when I had the chance.

And yet, the staff and patrons were a joy to serve. Could’ve been an amazing place.
Pros
Diverse community, pleasant coworkers
Cons
No leadership communication, no integrity, no advancement, low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Louis Public Library. Our community is ready to answer.

St. Louis Public Library Reviews by Location