St. Louis Public Schools Employee Reviews

One of the worst places ive ever worked at.
Art Teacher (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 9, 2019
I would not go back if I was offered a liveable amount of money as a salary. My health is not worth it. I was constantly told I needed to improve and given little to no resources to improve. I rarely felt safe in my classroom, and I felt like the administration was throwing me out to the wolves. I needed resources and support, both of which I never got.
Great place to get experience
Special Education Teacher Self-Contained Class (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 13, 2019
A good place to work to gain experience with teaching students in the urban area. A typical day requires patience and being able to adapt to many situations, which can change in an instant. Most be able to modify lessons.
Case Manager - Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 3, 2019
Nice work environment dealing with students and staff. It was a learning experience for me. Dealing with the students and staff members and their creativity
Pros
N/a
Cons
Short breaks
Violent students
teacher (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOMay 30, 2019
Toward the end of my time the students had become so disrespectful and violent that I was prevented from teaching. Most time was spent in triage after one of the "challenges" disrupted all learning.
Safety officer
Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MO 63101May 30, 2019
Checking in students every morning, greeting staff, guests and students. Looking at 96 carmea and anwser phone calls and dispatching another officer to a location in the build. I learned how to rerun cameras,be a good officer and patients with students and there problems. The job culture is fair and fun, hardest part of the job buses not on time for pick up for the kids. Meeting new people everyday in and outside the work places.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Not always receiving compliments for a job well done.
St.Louis, MO
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 5, 2019
St. Louis Public is a hit or miss. It really depends on the school that you work at. At the right school you can have a wonderful experience. At the wrong school not so much.
Interesting place
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis, MIMarch 29, 2019
Good place family oriented. But is cliquey with staff. Does offer job security. Lacks in professional advancement due small size. I enjoy most of the staff
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks
very bad experience ovrerall
Head Band Director Grade 9-12 (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 19, 2019
there was no band equipment or band studenrs.i hardly ever saw the principal and the music fine arts director was a racist.i wasted a lot of money traveling to middle schools trying to work with kids
Pros
beautiful citynice kids
Cons
schools of choice/the fine asrts director
up and coming
Substitute Teacher and Head Coach (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 19, 2019
St. Louis Public Schools is accredited again and it is on the rise! The faculty at Metro High School was excellent and the district is moving to younger, excited faculty who have prior experience.
Productive and exciting job experience.
Family Community Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 3, 2019
My job is a rewarding experience working with parents and students to build the gaps between the school and the community. I provide a resource for parents who need help with outside resources for there students need to become successful in school and the community.
Pros
The pros of my position is the ability to work with parents, students and community to serve a common ground with education.
Cons
The cons are I would not be able to meet the needs of all parents and students.
Good environment
Full Service School Social Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 31, 2018
Working conditions were often poor due to the lack supervision on part of the administrators. Some students are rude and lacked interest in learning, often causing disruption.
Teacher? More like servant or babysitter
Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  GSHSNovember 29, 2018
Students are ill-behaved. Parents are unreachable. Admin will do nothing until a history of parent contacts is established.

Like being cussed out, spat at, lunged at, and in general treated like scum at every turn? SLPS is the place for you! Nothing is ever the students fault, always the teachers. Supposedly you get 5 plans a week, except when you are forced to babysit another teachers class without pay, go to meetings, attend to various other assigned duties, you MIGHT get 1.

Also, don't bother being sick Monday or Friday... Get your butt to work!
Not the best school district
Educator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 12, 2018
Lack of resources and lack of competency. Some staff works tirelessly to do the best they can for their students and quick to get burnt out and ready to move on. Other staff does the bare minimum or less and they last a little longer since they don't stress themselves out. Behavior issues daily, little to no support in that aspect. Hardly any consequences (depending on the school) which sets our kids up for failure in the future by teaching them they can do certain things and not face consequences for their actions.
Communication and coverage
Custodian (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 24, 2018
When a person calls off or is on vacation their lack of extra workers to come cover your shift. Also there is not enough coverage in some of these schools. And some of the managers have very bad communication and empathy skills.
Challenging but highly rewarding
Parent Leader (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 9, 2018
Each school is unique but all work for the same goal. Always someone to advise and assist you. A great blend of experience and fresh ideas. Really get up use team building skills working with a wide variety of people from all walks of life.
Pros
Exciting place to work
Cons
Not sure if always achieved success
Somewhat stressful
Teacher (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 30, 2018
St. Louis Public Schools has the potential to be a great place to work. I feel that the focus has shifted from what is in the best interest of teaching students. There is too much work that is required after hours.
Pros
interacting with students
Cons
long hours at home
St Louis Public Schools inspired me to teach fulltime
Permanent Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 28, 2018
A typical day involved interaction with students Kindergarten through fifth Grade. I eventually worked each grade level including special education as well. It was both challenging and rewarding.
Pros
Formimg young minds helping them to their potential
I enjoyed working with the kids...They were lots of fun and kept me on my toes.
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 20, 2018
As a permanent substitute, I was given the same duties as the regular classroom staff. The kids then were a lot of fun and I still keep in touch with many of them.
Pros
Early Days
Cons
Substitutes did not receive any insurance benefits.
Company
Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 19, 2018
This company is interesting to work for. You have to know the policies and procedures in order to survive the work environment. Administration is non-supportive.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 19, 2018
Maintained and processed different contract times and tiers for 50 employees, including PTO, Sick, Professional Development and Legacy Banks, ensure all student files meet DESE requirements, including all IEPs, classroom and roster assignments: fulfill records and FERPA requests, calendaring for school and principal; substitute placement, answering calls, taking messages, entering each class attendance, ordering supplies for the school, assigning support staff daily based on school activity and to task, communicating with parents; manage attendance data to ensure adequate yearly progress points earned. Approved/entered payroll for 55 employees.