St. Louis Science Center Employee Reviews

Productive Workplace
YES (Youth Exploring Science) Teen (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 29, 2017
The staff really do their best to be as helpful as possible to the public and it rubs off on other employees.
The atmosphere is one of learning and curiosity with people of all ages interested in whatever is going on
A productive place with a lot of interesting things about science to learn.
YES Teen (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 5, 2017
The hardest part about working at the St. Louis Science Center was learning how to have patience and come up with a solution for children and adults that did not always follow the guidelines. The most enjoyable part of working was building relationships with other workers and teaching science activities to the kids.
Pros
Free breakfast, nice breaks(good amount of time)
Cons
amount paid, fixing problems
Fun workplace and great staff
Visitors Service Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MO 63104August 16, 2017
The science center gives you the opportunity to work full work days while still giving you time to have your own life. The other employees have a great attitude and really enjoy their job just as I have.
not a job just a chaperon
Chaperone for Visions (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 19, 2017
I would recommend going to the science center often .I would love to work there part time .I think the summer programs are great and the night programs .
Pros
free
Cons
closes early
Low pay, no advancement and ridiculous policies
Educator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 17, 2017
Not much to say, the job just isn't worth it in this economy. If you get a ful-time position (which is incredibly rare) 30k a year is teetering on the edge of poverty and this point and there's never going to be increases in salary in the foreseeable future. Even the managers make barely any more, but the administration is terrible, they have grand ideas that blow up in everyones faces because their impractical or just wasting peoples time. If you like to be micromanaged with low pay and no advancement for the foreseeable future then this is the job you might enjoy.
Pros
Good people work there.
Cons
Low pay, no advancement and ridiculous policies.
Fast Food
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 2, 2017
I loved the hours but you didn't get holidays off and i don't feel this was a completely professional environment. This was a tourist attraction and it was free entry i don't feel they paid enough for the crowds that were attracted.
very exciting for kids and adults
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MO/Forest ParkJuly 23, 2016
This place is alot of fun and educational for people if all ages. They have alot to offer their guests.unless you can handle the noise from all the kids and exibits, you may not find this very appealing as an employee but alot of fun to visit.
Pros
Tons of fun and education
Cons
very short breaks. some low morale.
Good Opportunity
Eology and Earth Science Intern (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 30, 2016
I loved my internship at the St. Louis Science Center. I was always learning new things and always enjoyed myself. Although it wasn't a paying job, I was paid in experience and made new contacts.
Fun enviroment.
Cashier & Guest Services (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 22, 2016
The Science Center is a fun place to work. Nice pay for the work you provide. Meet lots of people of different culture and places from all over the world.
enjoyed my time there with the children
Custodian (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 12, 2015
always a busy day around there, with all the people and children running around, keeping it clean was a job , but I enjoyed it, I enjoyed everyone that I worked with, the enjoyable part of the job was watching the faces of the children from the things they were seeing
Pros
don't have any that I can think of
Productive and fun workplace
Youth Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 10, 2015
Overall the science center was well-rounded ,and a simple job.
I loved to work with the children and visitors, and provide great customer service.
Pros
discount
Exciting workplace
Senior Educator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 2, 2015
Everyday was met with new and different challenges. Highly rewarding environment to interact with the public as they learned and understood new and exciting science.
A family oriented place
Gift Shop (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 19, 2015
It's a fun and family oriented environment. The management and coworkers were great. I love being able to help others have a great experience.
Pros
40% off on merch
Cons
Seasonal
my leadership
Lead Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 9, 2015
Getting ready to open for the public, the most wonderful part of the job. i enjoyed the leadership i displayed, my training expertise, and the knowledge that i helped instill in my personel. my co-workers enjoyed my leadership, i made it comfortable, but stuck to business and the game plan, to satisfy the customer
Pros
free lunch sometime
Cons
ok health care
Such a cool place to work
Senior Educator (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 11, 2014
It is such a great joy to be able to teach teens about science, environment, and architecture.
Rude Management
Guest Services Representative (Former Employee) –  St. louis, MOOctober 4, 2013
This is a fun place to work however the management that was in place when I worked there was very rude and unprofessional and it made for a hostile work environment.
Pros
fun environment, meeting new people
Cons
Lack of accountability among management
Easy going yet productive.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOJune 5, 2013
Helping patrons of the museum was my main task. I learned to deal positively with all visitors even if they were unresponsive or angry.
All for the kids...
Math Grants Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 26, 2013
This was a job where I basically cut my teeth where supervisory skills are concerned. Working with the Youth Exploring Science Program I was able to learn about employee management as well as time management. I gained experience in creating curriculum for children, which helped me understand development and management.

The best part of this job was the kids. I can say that all these years later, I still have a great rapport with some of them.
Pros
free lunches, helping children grow and learn, environment, culture
Cons
compensation, benefits, working weekends
Abundant learning opportunities for personal enrichment
Gallery Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 4, 2013
It is no secret that the SLSC has cut staff in reaction to the prolonged economic recession. In spite of the hardships, the leadership is dedicated to bringing exciting new exhibits and enriching the experience for the visitors. There is great joy in sharing a love of science and inspiring visitors to become lifelong appreciators of the knowledge we have to share.
Pros
great learning environment
Cons
reduction in staff, hours, benefits, opportunity to advance
Open and fun environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 20, 2012
I would start off and get prepared for the day by getting the projects together for the summer camps and youth groups. The kids taught me something new everyday by interacting with them and learning how to take on new experiences. My co-workers were very enjoyable to work with. A lot of team effort. The hardest part of the job was thinking of new activities everyday and the most enjoyable part of the job was working with the kids, teaching them new things, and seeing them smile.
Pros
fun with kids, good pay
Cons
expensive lunches