St. Luke's Health System Employee Reviews

Big turn over
CERTIFIED MEDICAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Baker City, ORNovember 8, 2018
With big management turn over and being so far away from main offices EOMA in Baker City isnt the most organized place to work. You are thrown in with little training and then penalized for others mistakes.
Horrific work environment .. supervisor horrible
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  BoiseNovember 8, 2018
The pay at this for profit hospital was putrid . Raises were 2% cost of living goes up 6% a year and these people expect u to live on this .. the supervisors we're uneducated and had no idea how to deal with people. They had there favorites and the others they tried to get fired. Steer clear of working with this God awful place. I did it for 2 yrs until I found a much better paying job where u are Respected
Pros
Cons
Pay. Management
Advancement opportunities for FTE's
Certified Epic Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 7, 2018
Promoted multiple growth opportunities for FTE's as well as organizational knowledge sharing for Consultants. Strong leadership. Afforded FTE's many educational opportunities.
Clique environment
Obstetrical Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 27, 2018
Negative environment. Staff were not encouraged to get along or support each other. Not a lot of respect required from physicians or nursing staff. Disappointing.
Reactive rather than proactive leadership.
Nursing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDOctober 26, 2018
Frequently making changes and rolling them out without a solid plan. Then having to backtrack to change again and roll out plan to all staff. The workplace culture has become toxic in some areas. Very little accountability, and when accountability is asked for, the upper management does not enforce or back up their leaders.
Cons
Poor management
Average Pay, poor benefits, ABYSMAL MANAGEMENT- IT workers look elsewhere
Service Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDOctober 7, 2018
Let me preface all this as this was my experience in my department (IT), but I have heard from others that it is not this way in other departments within the organization.

Work environment and management were absolutely the worst possible. Management did not care about any of their employees, and made it very clear that you were just a warm body in a seat to them. Other employees were regularly encouraged to nit pick on coworkers, and frequently would throw each other under the bus if it made them look better to management. Management never publicly supported this behavior, but having worked there for many years, I can tell you that they absolutely supported it behind closed doors. The only possible chance you had at advancement was not through hard work and doing a good job, but through how much you brown nosed your superiors. Management would not lift a finger to help you either grown in skill, or advance.The culture was the worst I have ever witnessed at any employer in my history of working. Unfortunately this will not change any time soon, because the entire management structure in place currently is the "good old boy" system and came over together from another company when it shut down.

Pay was about average for the industry. PTO/time off was slightly higher than average. Benefits as a whole were below average, and continued to get worse the longer I worked there. Health insurance costs were extremely high despite this being the largest employer in Idaho, AND being a healthcare institution. Benefits were either reduced or eliminated every year that I worked there,
  more... making it less and less desirable to work there.

After so many years of putting up with an increasingly declining quality of life working for this company, I finally had to call it quits. I liked that I could say I worked for St. Luke's while I was with them, but I could no longer work under the absolutely abysmal and hostile management in place in the IT department.
Pros
working for a company that helps the community, good work/life balance
Cons
worst possible culture, worst possible management, poor benefits
Fun place to work and financially stable
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Meridian, IDSeptember 29, 2018
It's difficult to work for St. Luke's when at this point there is only an ER. In the ER there is no room for advancement there is a lot of personality clashes due to it being so small and at times too slow or too busy. Work ethics are too broad.
Pros
financially stable, close to home, mission focused
Cons
management failures, no room for advancement
Poor Management, Nepotism, and Too Much Office Gossip
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IDSeptember 21, 2018
Working for St. Luke’s was a great job to hold down if you could accept management’s constant inconsistencies, favoritism towards certain employees, slow response time when contacting, and last minute schedule changing due to errors on their end. I floated to different clinics frequently and there were always tenured medical professionals not following safety protocols in order to save them time. There was also a lot of unprofessional office gossip between employees and management. The pay was decent but I make a little over twice more working in LTL logistics coordinating after almost two years. In clinic there was no training and people were either reluctant to help or assumed you knew what do and would dismiss questions or help, management was barely on site too. Personally, the stress of working for St. Luke’s wast not worth it despite years of medical education.
Pros
Hour lunch if working full time day.
Cons
Low pay, expected to know everything even beyond scope of practice, poor management or lack there of, unfriendly coworkers, and office bad mouthing/gossip.
Emergency Room Admitting
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 10, 2018
Loved the pace of the job and most of the people but the management was inconsistent. Turnover rate for the department was astronomical. Management would hire people under qualified and they would never make it out of training.
Pros
3 day work weeks, tuition reimbursement, and flexibility to go to school.
Cons
Lack of communication, favoritism, always expected to do more with no additional incentive, and lack of training.
Fun and exciting work environment
Clinical Assistive Personnel (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDSeptember 1, 2018
Working in the CSU allowed me to float to different units and hospital locations. This allowed me the ability to learn much more as I was exposed to many different patient groups.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Staff meetings are way too long
Time has changed St. Luke's
Nursing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDAugust 27, 2018
From the time I started until the time I left there was a lot of change. It became less and less about the patient and an even more drastic swing towards employees. Some of the things I noticed was less employee recognition or even simple thank you's, decreased quality in "gifts" to employees, saying they wanted to promote (nursing supervisor to director) but no follow through. Taking about patient safety but decreasing the number of staff on the floor to safely care for patients. Less resources for staff to do the job they needed to do effectively.
Pros
Offering 8-12 hours shifts (flexibility)
Cons
Do not always get lunch breaks, not enough resources to do ones job well, little support when needed.
Positive Patient Center Culture
Epic ASAP System Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDAugust 22, 2018
St Luke's Health System has a very positive work culture that always keeps the patient at the center of any decisions made. They are always looking for continued improvement.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Little room for advancement
RN - Kansas City plaza
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 11, 2018
This is their main hospital. Seems typical of other hospitals. Barely acceptable patient ratios. Very corporate "the policy says this". Had difficulty moving my career forward into a new department so I left for a new hospital.

Pay was typical of the KC area but nothing special. Patient care was good overall. An acceptable working environment for a nurse but far from great. However, that makes it the 2nd best hospital in the KC area, so pick your poison.
Reputable and patient centered
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDJuly 30, 2018
Amazing leadership, patient centered focus, culture, 2020 strategy, expansion of telehealth, focus and strategy for future financial planning and geographical integration
On the brink
Business Intelligence Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDJuly 26, 2018
On the brink of being a fantastic place to work. If they could just pull their compensation/benefits package toward their mission, it would be one of the best around. There is an intense focus on the patient and their experience (as there should) but upper management seems to have forgotten that a little of the same care and consideration for their employees would only further their mission. Employees that feel cared for and considered pass that feeling on to their customers/patients. Better/more insurance options, more remote/flexible work arrangements, more support/options for healthy workplace activities (gym, green bike, dedicated time during work day to get out and exercise) would make this a fantastic place to work. It’s good - but improvements would really push it over into amazing.

Some of the benefits I have most enjoyed with other employers:
- designated PTO only for charitable work. This was a set number of hours (24) to be used for volunteering that did not count against other PTO balances and was awarded every year. I used it to volunteer at my child’s school, Ronald McDonald, and to give blood.
- 12 weeks of paid maternal/paternal leave
- 12 weeks of paid elder care leave
- company sponsored contests to earn $$ for doing healthy activities
Clinical Informatics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDJuly 21, 2018
St. Luke's is a great health care organization that is always striving to become even better. In this quest to become the best and stay and on top the organization speeds along and often forgets to take a breath and stabilize. Often change happens faster than the bedside staff can keep track of. This leads to workflows that have to be re worked and processes that have to be re educated and frustrated staff members. Most of the time though I do appreciate the forward thinking of the organization and appreciate the mission to serve the community in which it resides.
Wonderful place to work.
Clinical Nurse Supervisor II, triage (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 19, 2018
Very professional, caring staff from the CEO to the cleaning personnel. Friendly, family atmosphere. They really care about their employees and strive to help them in every venue.
Pros
Great support and opportunity for advancement
Awesome Culture, Excellent WHY
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDJuly 15, 2018
Coming to work for the patient is a really good reason to get out of bed. Inspiring leaders but overall compensation issues (no pay for performance motivators).
Pros
Culture, teamwork, benefits
Cons
Pay, Opportunity for Advancement
Small hospitals trying to be bullies to fit in
RN (Current Employee) –  Twin Falls, IDJuly 13, 2018
A small hospital that is part of an even bigger problem (system). Moderately busy hospital that has no real say in its choices. Management is unable to make their own decisions and depend on the mothership to make all decisions for them. A culture of bullying and forcing people to stay in their place, rather than letting them grow and contribute. A culture of letting people know just how disposable they are. It's a shame that they hold such a monopoly.
Pros
Only place to work!
Cons
Only place to work...
Workplace
Admitting Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 8, 2018
Working in the ER can be enjoyable as well as stressful. We had a great team, in which we can lean on one another when times are hard and difficult. Our Supervisor has always been there to lend a helping hand when needed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Luke's Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight