St. Mary's College of Maryland Employee Reviews

St. Mary's College has no advancement and their pay is very low
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Saint Mary, MOJanuary 21, 2019
St. Mary's College has no advancement opportunities and their pay scale is very low. The school cares nothing about it's Administrative personnel there only the students and Professors.
I loved this job
Assistant Librarian (Former Employee) –  Leonardtown, MDSeptember 27, 2018
Getting to be an assistant librarian was the best job I've ever had. The work was fun, and the environment was relaxing. The library is beautiful, and everyone I worked with was fantastic.
St. Mary's College of Maryland - The hidden gem of Southern MD
Head Coach (Former Employee) –  St. Mary's City, MDJuly 26, 2018
St. Mary's College of Maryland was a fantastic place to work with beautiful views of the water. The people were fantastic and the support for athletics was wonderful.
Primarily a student employed workplace
Climbing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Climbing WallJuly 6, 2018
Standard minimum wages and about 6 hours a week part time work at the MPOARC facility's Climbing Wall. Fair management, and mostly student run made this position fairly easy-going and casual.
Pros
Climbing
Cons
Minimum wage
Fun workplace
Adjunct in Dance (Former Employee) –  California, MDApril 5, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working at St. Mary’s College of Maryland. I enjoyed the students and the courses I was able to teach. I especially liked having a supportive Department Head, who helped me to create the courses I wanted to teach.
Relaxed, Inclusive & Supportive
Benefits Administrator & Recruiter (Current Employee) –  St. Mary's City, MDMarch 29, 2018
I have been employed with the college for 2 months now, and I know this is where I will retire from...not because I have to but because I want to. The benefits package for FT employee's is excellent, the leave benefits are generous, I love my bosses and co-workers. Overall it's an enjoyable place to work. The campus culture is a positive one!
Relaxed Atmosphere
PC/MAC Specialist & Trainer (Former Employee) –  St. Mary's City, MDMarch 7, 2018
My time at St Marys College was great. I loved working with both the staff and students, to resolve computer issues all around the campus. It was a very relaxed atmosphere.
Great Entry-Level Admin/Arts Admin Job
Department Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Mary's, MDJanuary 10, 2018
This job was perfect for me coming out of college. I had no work experience and this job has given me that in a variety of administrative tasks that I can apply in jobs I may have in the future. My boss and coworkers are very supportive and it is a friendly environment to work.

However, it is not something that is sustainable for someone looking to grow professionally. This particular position I'm in offers no room for advancement.
Pros
Lunch whenever you want, Christmas Holiday time off, free events at the college
Cons
Low pay, no raises, no health benefits
I was working here as a work study
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Mary's City, MDDecember 7, 2017
This was not an actual job, with benefits and things of that nature. I worked here while I was a student at St. Mary's college of Maryland. I worked 5 hours a week as an office assistant. I answered the phone and took messages for the actual staff. I used basic office equipment such as the copier and the fax machine. I filed paper work, and did other office related duties when asked.
Pros
Free food every now and then, I could do my homework once I was done with my work, I loved my suerpvisor
Cons
N/a
Balanced Work Environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Mary's City, MDOctober 15, 2017
Assisted professor in compiling information for an article to be published
Compiled research materials concerning article topic
Provided detailed notes on researched material
Communicated my findings verbally and in writing
Helped author organize article structure
Effectively used computers to discover and record research materials
Critically determined and categorized findings into distinct themes
Met deadlines
Great place to practice
JHU Counseling Intern (Former Employee) –  internOctober 4, 2017
I was an intern when hired at St. Mary's College of Maryland. The staff was great, helpful, wanting you to be successful in my line of work. Because I was an intern I was not paid for the services I rendered, but I was grateful to be part of an excellent community.
Low Morale among staff
Desktop Analyst (Current Employee) –  St. Mary's City, MDSeptember 8, 2017
Declining enrollment and constant budget cuts. No increases in pay and increased duties due to not backfilling vacant positions. Large disconnect between Administration and Staff.
Pros
close commute
Cons
Low Pay
Library
Circulation Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Mary's City, MDAugust 10, 2017
I enjoyed working at the college library for 4 years. It was pretty chill. I mainly stacked books, handled packages, interacted with the customers, and answered phone calls
The College Days
Public Safety Officer-Corporal (Former Employee) –  Saint Mary, MOJune 30, 2017
became a supervisor within the 7 years of employment at the college. a typical day could be dealing with patrolling and securing historic areas of St. Mary's College, to arresting college students for drugs and alcohol violations. To working parking of huge college gatherings and security , and of graduations.

I actually learned a lot of my law enforcement culture from working with a college environment before becoming a federal Police Officer. The hardest part of my day would be contacting family members of students who either had a bad accident or worse.

The most enjoyable part of the day was the view of water of where the college was at. And meeting so many new people.
Being a CCA is a good job to have
Campus Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Mary's City, MDMay 17, 2017
The Office of Student Activities at SMCM is a great group of people who are hard workers that want you to succeed both academically and in the office environment.
Wonderful environment for students and locals.
Climbing Wall Route Setter (Current Employee) –  St. Mary's City, MDMay 16, 2017
I am seeking a BA in mathematics with a minor in physics and theatre and I spend my time at the schools climbing and love the school every single second.
A Character Building Experience
Physical Plant Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Mary's City, MDMarch 16, 2017
This job is good for any student working at St. Mary's over the summer and wants to take summer courses at the same time. The hours are part time at the begginning of the summer and are full time once classes finish.

Work can be tiring so is not for the weak of heart or spirit. Work includes stripping rooms, cleaning walls, reparing walls, painting fences, and other jobs with the maintinence crew around campus.

One must be warned before working here that many of the white crew members are non-PC in their attitudes towards non-whites and women. This is a blue-collar job in Southern Maryland and has the tendancies one might expect from such a position.
Nice place to work
Caretaker (Former Employee) –  St. Mary's City, MDJanuary 7, 2017
I worked here 10 years ago and you tell me the pay is still the same thst it was ten years ago come on st Mary's county y'all have to get up to speed your pay scale is awful
Pros
Health ins
Cons
Pay
Great place very diverse
General Support/ Mail (Current Employee) –  St. Mary's City, MDJanuary 5, 2017
Great place to work most people usually spend a life time working at st Marys. great leave and benefits, everyone is kind and friendly to be around.
Promotes a healthy and productive atmosphere.
Writing and Speaking Tutor (Current Employee) –  St. Mary's City, MDApril 15, 2016
Everyone is included and it is a fun and happy place to work that provides an opportunity for everyone to get involved.

The tutor experience is one that I do not take for granted. Being able to work with people and help better their writing is an experience that helps me as a writer, too.