St. Mary's County Public Schools Employee Reviews

No appreciation
Bus driver full time (Current Employee) –  Loveville, MDJuly 31, 2019
The job is very stressful. There isn't any appreciation for the work you do. There is no recognition for 5 years of service, 10, 15, 20, or more. Retirement is minimal unless you work for a contract, then there is no retirement, or health benifits. There's hardly any pay increases. The company only takes up for the students and not the employees. Bus drivers are the lowest paid employees and are not treated with respect. That's not by the students, but the staff.
A great place to work part-time
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Leonardtown, MDMay 20, 2019
Have worked for SMCPS for many years. The Food and Nutrition Services Department is very enthusiastic about improving the health of our elementary school children.
Pros
Making a child's day with lunch
Very stressful, very political climate, poor supervision, students where in charge, educators always to blame.
High School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Leonardtown, MDMay 15, 2019
Pathetic supervision. Promotions for Principals are based upon the ability to brown nose a supervisor. Students never held accountable, sometimes very violent. Typical public school.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Stressful, stressful, stressful.
Rewarding Environment
Special Education Para Educator (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, MDApril 23, 2019
I worked as an Intern at St. Mary's County Schools and gained valuable instructional and classroom strategies during my time completing my internship. The staff was friendly and it was a valuable experience to have.
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
Long hours, low pay
Public School
Infants and Toddlers Family Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leonardtown, MDJanuary 3, 2019
Its a good place to work but better with credentials.
We understand that education must engage students and align to their interests and aspirations. To do this, we provide a tailored educational experience to our learners, offering choice of courses and academic pathways. We are particularly proud of our signature academic pathways: the STEM Academy, The Academy of Global International Studies, The National Academy of Finance and our newest addition, the Academy of Visual and Performing Arts. Couple this with our James A. Forrest Career and Technology Center and the possibilities for our students reflect the needs of the 21st Century.
For the kids
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Ridge, MDJanuary 2, 2019
Prepare breakfast and lunch for 300+ students and staff at Ridge Elementary School. I would have to calculate how much food to prepare, maintain proper temperatures, and document all temperatures. Calculate how much food was served to the students and run the register when children would bring in lunch money. Help with inventory and wash dishes. Run the end of the day reports when lunches were completed
Pros
free lunch, working with children
Cons
not alot of hours
Good
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Loveville, MDNovember 2, 2018
It was a career building experience to work for SMCPS. I learn a lot of different skill sets that will help me to grow. SMCPS helps you to build a good report with the community as well.
Challenging for a good reason
Director of Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Loveville, MDOctober 2, 2018
As Director of Maintenance my year includes budget preparation, identifying and defining capital and operating budget projects. Working with the assistance of maintenance staff and administrative staff to improve the delivery process of our service is an ongoing focus. Communicating with the community and none technical co-workers is a very valuable asset in this environment.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Priorities tend to always be in flux
Cafeterias are all different
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Leonardtown, MDAugust 13, 2018
Work is typically a faster pace so the food can be ready when breakfast and lunches start. Each school has their own cafeteria manager. I like my co-workers and the kids.
Great Place to Work!!
Maryland (Current Employee) –  MarylandAugust 1, 2018
Fast Paced Elementary School with great staff. Love to come to work every day. Kids can be challenging but that is what makes the atmosphere great. No day is ever the same as another.
Loved it
Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Leonardtown, MDJuly 17, 2018
Loved it. It was my career for 42 years. I loved working with children. I loved the hours. I loved being a secretary. The people I worked with were great.
A Great Place to Work
Dedicated Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lexington Park, MDJune 15, 2018
This is a great place to work! When you walk in, you are greeted each day with smiles! I never get upset or worried about how bad students act the next day!
Pros
Educate bright, young minds!
Smcps
Educator (Former Employee) –  Leonardtown, MDMay 21, 2018
SMCPS offer one of the highest salaries in the state. The only problem is that with naval base expansion it is difficult to get around and the cost of living is steadily increasing
Great place to work , everyone gets along, supportive management
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Leonardtown, MDApril 28, 2018
Fun place to work and live. Opportunities for advancement. Colleges courses are reimbursed. You can become an administrator if you complete required coursework. There are a lot of colleges or satellite colleges nearby where you can take courses.
Pros
Summer breaks
Cons
Caseloads can get heavy, travel between schools
Rewarding place to work
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Great Mills, MDApril 17, 2018
Helping our youth is always very rewarding. Diverse experience can be gained by changing schools and grade levels. Seeing students succeed and graduate is very rewarding.
Pros
Learning students
Cons
Stressful, short lunches
Really was horrible.
Coordinating Supervisor of Design and Construction (Former Employee) –  Leonardtown, MDApril 4, 2018
Pretty much a political organization. Lots of back door deals between the school board and the county. Good ole boy network. Most decisions made were political and not practical. Boss was horrid.
Productive Workplace
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Leonardtown, MDFebruary 24, 2018
I enjoyed working with the kids as well as the staff. This job has provided me with communication skills as well as time management. I became proficient in conflict resolution.
Pros
Long lunch breaks
Cons
Little time to complete the work that needs to be done such as grading
An Exceptional Place to Work
Assistant Principal (Former Employee) –  Leonardtown, MDDecember 26, 2017
St. Mary's County is an awesome school division. The atmosphere is one of collaboration. Management is prepared and excellent to work with. The expectations are high for the teachers and students. It truly is an exceptional place to work.
Teaching
Sub Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tall Timbers, MDJuly 10, 2017
Sub Teaching is like being a glorified babysitter these days. The kids don't listen and they don't respect you. So it is a challenging job and can be at times very stressful!
Great place to work but salary are very low for teachers, para educators, and support staff positions
Safety and Security Manager (Current Employee) –  Leonardtown, MDJune 15, 2017
I would recommend anyone to apply. Those with Bachelors degrees or higher have a better advantage and if you know someone in the agency as a reference helps.
Pros
weekends off if employed at a school
Cons
pay salary is very low unless you are an administrator or principal or director