St. Mary's University Employee Reviews

4.4
Ratings breakdown
Beautiful campus
Proctor/Test Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 23, 2018
Beautiful campus though as a work environment, had open door policy to present problems that existed for quite awhile but were not resolute in making changes that were needed to maintain a healthy work place environment.
Pros
I consider this to be one of the best campuses as it balances mind body an soul for the students.
Cons
Simple interventions instead of indifference would have helped in many situations
Student Worker: Awesome managment in the Maintenance department
Accounting Tutor (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNApril 19, 2018
My only experience working here was as a student during the summer months. I worked in the maintenance department, which had one of the best supervisors that I ever had. The pay was minimum wage, but there were other benefits for student workers.
Pros
Free Lunch, unlimited time off
Cons
Unpaid time off/sick time
Feels like home
Assistant Professor of Physics (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 16, 2018
The community at St. Mary's University is extremely welcoming and the entire campus feels like home. The students have an amazing work ethic and are well rounded in the courses they take to obtain their degree. They strive for better things, and often ask the advice of the faculty, and I greatly enjoy helping students pursue their future endeavors.
Student Intern
Marriage and Family Therapy Student Intern (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 2, 2018
As a Student Intern in the Family Life Center, I was given the experience and training that I needed to move forward in my career as a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist.
Fun and community oriented work place
Summer of Service Intern (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 21, 2018
Marianist culture is a beautiful thing at St. Mary's and felt around campus. Communication with students and colleagues is encouraged. I only worked as an intern and they understood my school and work balance well. I was paid generously.
Don't
Student Development Officer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 15, 2018
Even though you are a students they should atlas pay you a decent amount. Hours are barely given out, and shifts are considered first come first serve for students.
Updates.
Test Proctor/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 7, 2018
My work was similar to a temporary in that I would only work about once every month. There is nothing to compare to other than to say that I found them better equipped than UTSA>
Faculty
Associate Professor - Biology (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 31, 2018
The university is aiming to improve its research reputation. It is generally staffed with local talent, and does not attract excellent researchers from around the region.
Café Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 8, 2018
I enjoyed my time there and got to know some amazing people and it was fast paced and loved what I did, I made good money but I wanted to go back to school to be a medical assistant.
Horrible manager running the Title III program
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 5, 2018
I have no good memories of working here. It took only one person, my direct supervisor, to leave a horrible taste in my mouth regarding this job. I curse the program every time I hear a reference to it. Totally bad experience for me.
Pros
The students
Cons
Federal grant program activity coordinator
Intern
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 27, 2017
Fast paced, always requires you to be up to date with events and tasks. Get to work with students within the programs of FAM, TRiO, and others. Love working with alumni.
Great Place to Work!
Marianist Leadership Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 27, 2017
The campus, faculty staff culture is extremely welcoming and inclusive for everyone. The staff work diligently to ensure our students have a quality experience, and that each of our students successfully graduate.
Great place to work for students
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 25, 2017
It was a great place to work. Tasks not difficult and non-stressful. Management is very understanding to student life. Hardest part of the job would be keeping up with assignments while the easiest part is helping fellow students with any questions.
Enjoyed the family atmosphere
Hall Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 22, 2017
I enjoyed working there while also going to class. There was a big family atmosphere. Everyone was very friendly and outgoing. The hall directors were also understanding.
Excellent Industrial Engineering Program
STEM Student (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 21, 2017
St. Mary's University held an excellent Industrial Engineering program led by very knowledgeable team of professors, and also helped get in touch with a lot of organizations from the Industry, highly recommend this school for the engineering studies.
Pros
Knowledgeable, educated, smart, and up-to-date technology.
Truly a special place to work; great community and excellent benefits
Business Manager / Athletics Department (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 30, 2017
Great environment to work.
Easy to engage within community
Many employees are alumni and are now employed here;
many for long term careers
Excellent benefits
Research Assistant
Guest Lecturer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 18, 2017
as a doctoral student, I conducted research with supervising professor. This experience taught me how to design experiments as well as collect and analyze data.
Pros
mentoring
Cons
low pay
It was a really good experience for me.
Portuguese Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 16, 2017
Not many universities offer the freedom for professors to add a course of their own choice and design. At St. Mary´s I was given this opportunity, which was great.
Pros
Very friendly and professional co-workers of all levels
Cons
If you are an Adjunct Professor it might be difficult to live on your income.
Good Workstudy job at University Center
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 15, 2017
I worked at the University's help desk in the University Center as a Freshman. I started working there in September 2015 and stopped working May 2016 because I wanted to transfer to a community college close to my hometown in Houston
Productive and Organized
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 16, 2017
Typical day at work would begin as soon as I step into the stockroom. wearing the required uniform. There are usually 2-3 labs that need to be set up with a detailed list of what the professor requires. Once the labs are set up, another coworker and I get the mail and organize it. We also have to wash and organize the equipment used after the labs are finished. A professor can stop by to ask for some assistance with their research, grading papers, delivering papers, or preparing certain solutions. Our supervisor is very time manageable and enforces the rules when we are hired, he assigns us different job to remain occupied until it is time to leave.
Everyone in this environment is extremely helpful and attentive. The hardest part of this job, is making solutions that you've never made before, however the quicker you learn how to do it, the easier it gets.The most enjoyable part of my job is being along side my coworkers as we power through this together, and feeling accomplished at the end of the day.
Pros
Recognition from professors
Cons
Short breaks