St. Mary Medical Center Employee Reviews

There is a reason(s) I left
Registered Nurse, Labor and Delivery (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 8, 2019
No lunch, no relief, unsafe nurse to patient ratios, hostile work environment and management that pretends to be able to perform my job, but in reality could not if necessary.
Pros
Great co-workers (excluding management)
Cons
No breaks but forced to say your breaks are offered but waived so they may avoid the break penalties, Nurses are forced to chart off the clock catch up (illegal), The unit is consistently understaffed, Improper nurse to patient ratios, I have done the role as the scrub tech, labor nurse and baby nurse all at once because staffing is cut so short, you are expected to perform tasks that you have not been trained or deemed competent, Unsafe
great work ethic
Birth Clerk Registrar (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, CAJuly 6, 2019
I loved working at SMMC, the work ethic was exceptional! My coworkers were outstandingly kind and motivational people to work with! There was never a dull moment working there.
Great place to work for a non-profit organization
Supervisor Clinical Lab Scientist in Blood Bank (Current Employee) –  Apple Valley, CA 92307May 23, 2019
I loved it when I first started but now there are too many cuts being done because of the providence merger.

They do value helping the community but it now seems like it is slowly changing to more of a corporate culture.
Pros
It is a non profit organization that helps the community
registration
Patient Access Rep (Emergency Dept.) (Former Employee) –  Langhorne, PAMay 16, 2019
ED registration.

fast paced
customer service

I enjoyed making the patient feel comfortable in a time of need and excellent customer service. friendly enviroment
Pros
great employees
Very fast paced
Operator (Former Employee) –  Hobart, INApril 10, 2019
St. Mary Medical center was very fast paced. It was an excellent place to work with room for advancement. I enjoyed speaking wirh the physicians and staff. The environment was relaxex when we weren't busy.
Pros
Coworkers were friendly as well as management
Cons
Short breaks
Staff Nurse and Patient Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Langhorne, PAApril 2, 2019
very busy. management very approachable. great education department. Loved going to work. Great teamwork. the hardest part of my job was assisting patient, family, and coworker.
Pros
self scheduling. tuition reimbursement. advancement opportunities
Cons
none that i can think of
Fun place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Newtown, PAMarch 26, 2019
Education of staff was encouraged. All the most modern critical equipment was available for monitoring the critically care patient. Staff worked together.
self centered work environment.
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Langhorne, PAMarch 11, 2019
I was not ever happy working here. I felt taken advantage of daily for my work. I worked very hard to please my employer and I felt as if it was never good enough or ever up to their standards. There was no good leadership in the Operating Room.
Workplace environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Langhorne, PAFebruary 26, 2019
The workplace environment consisted of very hard-working and competent nurses and techs. The care provided by this level of nurses was phenomenal. I believed in the mission of nurturing and caring for anyone who comes into their hospital.
Pros
The flexible work schedule
Cons
The pay for pool was not competitive
good experience
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Langhorne, PAFebruary 14, 2019
good experience.. overall, great people to work with, but hard to transition to advance career. applied to other surgical department within, to adance career, but no word
Long time employee in this environment
Staff Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Langhorne, PAFebruary 1, 2019
Dynamic environment. Keeps up with trends in industry. Encourages learning and new opportunities. Friendly dedicated staff. Invested in the well being of the patients
All about St.Marys's
Clinical Laboratory technician (Current Employee) –  Apple Valley, CAJanuary 21, 2019
As Laboratory Assistant and leader we a multi culture workplace.
A typical day at working the night shift is to clean up the lab by tossing old specimens that are no longer needed and clear in the computer for the next day for storage. Night shift is a skeleton crew so you have to be able to multi task by answering the phone, processing micro set-ups, assist CLS in processing specimens, and process send outs. You are also will be responsible to assure that your night staff is drawing blood in a timely manner and to assure that they are wearing the proper equipment. Last you are responsible to trouble shoot when a problem occurs and follow chain of command when problems are not able to be solve.
The hardest part about my job is not to have resources available to complete the job as far as supplies and staff. Limited amount of resources does create a difficult to complete all job duties.
As far as communication between management and line staff. Management communicates via emails and postings on the walls through out the hospitals. Eliminating the human aspect and the communication process.
The most enjoyable part about my job it has been for the past 25years in the same field is the services in the that I have provided, the team that I lead, and the people who I work with.
Pros
The immediate staff that I work with
Cons
no room for advancement
Case Manager
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Case Management DepartmentJanuary 20, 2019
I worked as a Utilization Review Nurse and Case Manager and filled in PRN basis as needed. My typical day involved work on many floors and the ER to review charts.
This is not the correct hospital
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  St. Mary Medical CenterJanuary 5, 2019
Not the correct hospital, the hospital I work for is part of Dignity Health, not Trinity. There should be a way to fix this problem or this shouldn't keep anyone from applying for and submitting a job application.
St Mary Medical Center
Student X-Ray Technologist (Former Employee) –  Langhorne, PAJanuary 2, 2019
Great place to work. Fast paced and provides plenty of opportunity to expand your knowledge. Knowledgeable staff and experienced management helps the facility run smoothly.
Great group of individuals to work with and learn from.
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CADecember 28, 2018
Obtain report from morning nurse supervisor regarding patients in ER department. Ensure department has resources to last entire night shift, assist nurses and doctors with patient interventions.
Pros
Work with various disciplines in a hospital setting, patients gratitude, and making a difference in a persons life
Cons
Twelve hour shifts can feel long, typically the night shift can be short handed, working with a lot of sick patients can be overwhelming.
Its a great place to work
Radiology Rep/Scheduler, Transporter (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CADecember 23, 2018
I have not been treated well for the 10 years I have worked here, however the union takes care of most of the employees. I have had a lot of great experiences here. Just had some very poor management in my experience.
Lab is crazy
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Langhorne, PADecember 17, 2018
It's unbelievable, the absent-mindedness of the management in the lab. Nine or so managers, sitting in their private offices playing on phones or putting lipstick on, all gone by 4pm Mon thru Fri. No help when needed. If they're gone, you are on your own, whether there's enough coverage or not. Brand new instruments in the lab (4 months now) and they still can't figure out how they work. Call out whenever you want though. They don't keep track and just run short, THEY WILL NOT PAY ANYONE OVERTIME! That's a naughty word. Patient care is always compromised. If you care about your patients, this is not the place you want to work!
Great place
Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Langhorne, PADecember 14, 2018
I worked Full Time at SMMC until the rehab hospital opened, where I pursued full tie in my true passion, Acute Rehabilitation. would still be there if they had kept the rehab unit.
Pros
great place
Cons
rehab moved out.
Spiritual Environment
ASSISTANT CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CADecember 11, 2018
St Mary was a wonderful great place to work when I began in 1998. But some of the most recent supervisors lack character and lack a true understanding of this environment. They make a mockery of Hello Humankindess
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Gossip and bad behavior

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Mary Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight