St. Marys Healthcare System for Children

St. Marys Healthcare System for Children Employee Reviews

Field nurses run into the ground
Field RN/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYMay 14, 2019
Nurses are micromanaged and overextended. Expect to be contacted at all times by multiple staff for the same thing via phone, email, and text. Everyone fears the director who threatens all staff with being “written up” on a regular basis, & clerical/office staff are frequently let go for trivial things. The patients/families are great and so are the benefits. This place has so much potential - some of the old timers will tell you what a great and happy job it USED to be
Pros
Benefits, patients
Cons
Paperwork, management
Great
Patient Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYSeptember 20, 2018
its great to work for this company. the company does a Lot of good for the kids and these families. working here is truly a pleasure and i would highly recommend it
St Mary's is Great for the Right person
Physical Therapy Student (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 6, 2018
St Mary's is an excellent place to work with pediatric patients. The PTs work well with each other and the passion for each patient is obvious. The patient population is full of rare presentations, so it never gets boring. There is always something new to learn.
Pros
staff, patients, collaboration, passion
Cons
It's not what I want for long term
Enjoyable work place
Assistant Vice President, Administration (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 2, 2018
This organization's mission to care for its patients is a prominent reason for working here. While there are many staff that have longevity with this organization, there are equally as many who do not stay more than three years. Caring for this population is the most fulfilling part of working here.
Pros
Employee recognition; free parking; beautiful neighborhood
Cons
Too few managers; high turnover
Forward thinking organization
RN (Current Employee) –  Bayside, NYJune 5, 2018
I have been employed with St. Mary’s for over ten years and I would not want to work anywhere else. The staff here is like my family including management. Management is open to new ideas and listens to the employees concerns.

The benefits are very generous.

This is a place where you can grow and develop your skills.
Pros
Excellent benefits and good working environment
Cons
A nice place to work. Well staffed.
RN (Former Employee) –  Bayside, NYMay 8, 2018
I had a wonderful supervisor who cared about the clients and the staff. Our program functioned well as everyone seemed to truly enjoy what we did and why we did it... for the kids.
was a good company to work for
service coodinator (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYApril 2, 2018
i loved working at St mary's as working there was challenging at times and i made many connections.Staff at St Mary's was very helpful. Benefits were pretty reasonable and there were a lot of room for advancement.
Positive and supportive work place, encouraged new ideas and the clinical advancement of staff
Staff Nurse, Nurse Manager, and Nursing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 1, 2018
By far, this will always be my favorite employer. Much of the the rationale for this is the fact that the acute hospital environment was a very different work place in the 1970's and 1980's. There was no acute shortage of nurse to work, the local health care environment was not highly competitive, and St. Mary's happened to be a smaller facility that allowed the development of new relationships with co-workers. For this reason, the longevity and job satisfaction of employees was high.

I learned almost everything I currently know about the fundamentals of the nursing field while I was at St. Mary's. I was fortunate to work with other nurses who readily shared their knowledge and technical skills with me.

The hardest part of the job was my initial insecurity as a new nurse with the least clinical seniority in my department. The most rewarding part of my job was making a difference in the lives of my patients and their families, and realizing that I chose the right career path.
Pros
Relaxed environment that encouraged ideas, provided feedback.
Collections Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYMarch 1, 2018
To sum it up there were too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Things and workload change on a daily basis.Management does not take suggestions from employees. Everyone feels threatened by one another so it is hard to excel or advance unless you have a close outside the office relationship with management.
Pros
4 week vacation, 12 sick days and of course working to make sure the children's claims get paid.
Cons
not flexible or understanding if you have family or medical issues, finance dept management team very undercutting
Yoga Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bayside, NYFebruary 28, 2018
The people at St. Mary's Hospital really love the work they do and it shows in the comprehensive and kind care that they provide to the children and to the families.
Fun place to work
Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bayside, NYFebruary 21, 2018
Work environment was great. Everyone was supportive. Work was fast-paced and the days went by fast. Management was great. teamwork was definitely there.
Pros
great environment
Cons
healthcare
Great work envoriment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2018
Wonderful work environment with all staff and students / patients. I worked in the special education department section of the hospital and it was a heartwarming experience.
enjoyable part of the job
Inpatient Nursing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bayside, NYFebruary 3, 2018
Working in St. Mary's for the past almost 3 years have been great, especially working in a unit where you felt welcomed, everyone respects one another, and communicate with each other.
Very nice place to work
Rehabilitation Technician (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJanuary 2, 2018
Very fun place to work.Everyone is welcoming and friendly.Working with this company broaden my education and working experience.The children brings you joy when you take care of them.
Cons
Stressful, quick paced environment, but very rewarding
Senior Therapeutic Activities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bayside, NYJanuary 2, 2018
The collaborative ability of the staff at St. Mary's was excellent. Although the logistics of organizing and implementing events for 40-50 clients each day may get stressful, the experience is ultimately rewarding. The staff is both very caring and compassionate.
Productive place to work.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bayside, NYDecember 13, 2017
It is a nice place too work. You can really make a difference. The job is extremely rewarding and the benefits are decent. They also have provided parking.
Good experience
Pharmacy Intern (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYDecember 6, 2017
It is a good place to be expose to pediatric pharmacy. Pharmacist are nice but poor management. The job is pretty relax and easy... Cafeteria is good.
I worked with St Mary's for one year
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 26, 2017
Very good company, very supportive, good management, professional, coordinators find cases to fit your schedule. Annual in-service training on skills provided.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Worst work experience Ive ever had as a Nurse
Field Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  New York, New Hyde ParkNovember 3, 2017
As a Registered Nurse this was the worse work experience I’ve ever had in my life. The turn over rate is ridiculous, the work load is almost impossible to keep up with and the management never took travel time from patient to patient in consideration. Its ashame that it was such a poor work environment when working with sick and needy children should be rewarding in every way possible.
Pros
Great dental and medical benefits
Cons
Work load, poor management
Good enviorment
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Bayside, NYOctober 26, 2017
The hardest part of the job is when you have to wittiness patients injuries but that's part of the job .Very educational.i learned how to deal with people.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
short breaks