St. Marys Medical Center Employee Reviews

Positive work environment.
Speech- Language Pathologist Full Time (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 1, 2019
Excellent team work, Excellent rehabilitation therapists with good communication and patient centered approaches.
Good community hospital with excellent medical care.
Would be a wonderful place if the supervisor would stand up for you.
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVFebruary 22, 2019
I have worked in the healthcare industry for over 17 years, and would have to honestly say I have never seen a area ran like the one I work in.
When dealing with laboratory specimens, you must be trained properly, not told to "figure it out..you need to learn!" Proper testing is detrimental!
Also your treated like your 'below' those who have been there longer than you. If you don't fit in with the click, your miserable. They talk about each other constantly, and the foul language is awful with no respect for who hears it.
I leave daily heartbroken because I had such big expectations for the Christian background of this hospital. Very disappointed 😞.
Pros
Helping patients, some employees, hours.
Cons
Too many 'Bosses' that feel their waaaay above you. The language is horrible, even during prayer.
I enjoyed working for St. MARY'S Hospital
Tray Passer (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAJanuary 26, 2019
The environment at St. Mary's was very energetic and all of the staff were very kind to me. I was able to learn how important nutrition is in the health of our patients.
Great mission and goal oriented facility
Certified Pharmacy Technician III (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIDecember 12, 2018
Union based staffing rights. Multiple jobs offering within the company and 3 different affiliates. Good relationship between mangagement and staff during stressful situations
Fast pace work and on your feet alot...
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVOctober 10, 2018
Good place to work if you like fast pace work and good benefits.... Good people to work with.... You learn new job and position at St Mary....you work 40+ hour if you want the hours...
Pros
Good hours and good benefits
Cons
Fast pace
its a awesome place to work if your not working for Patient Transport
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVSeptember 21, 2018
Alot of walking from one side of hospital to the other. Alot of lefting pulling pushing. Horrible management. Basically doing a job that no one else wants to do.
Pros
Cons
Management always finds a way to make you feel like you dont do enough.
Nursing
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVSeptember 8, 2018
The hardest part of the job was working on holidays and missing time with my family, but the best part was doing what I love best in life and that is nursing. Helping people
Pros
Nursing was respected
Cons
Working holidays, and weekends
I loved the fact that at the end of the day, i had made a difference in someone's life.
ER Tech (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVAugust 20, 2018
I loved working at St. Mary's overall. However, I felt the management didn't listen to the employees about the problems and therefore, no solutions were attained. When I started working there, it was the PATIENT that mattered. After years of service, I noticed that the patient had become a number and only a dollar sign to the company. It was all about the all mighty dollar, not the patient. I was very disappointed.
Pros
I knew I had made a difference for someone at the end of the day.
Cons
Patients didn't matter and became only a number and a dollar sign to the company as time went on.
N/a
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNAugust 8, 2018
A typical day at work was serving and delivering patient trays to them. I learned how to adapt to a fast paced environment, work apart of a team, and experience working in customer service
Ok but stressful
nurse (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WV 25702June 28, 2018
Many clicks, and if you dont belong they will railroad you out. and then black ball you. Hard place to work in some units. but there are some that are wonderful
Pros
Cons
work is hard staffing low managers are not well educated

Comment – June 30, 2018

Thank you for the review. We will address these concerns with management.

A good workplace environment in general
Materials Management Clerk (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVJune 15, 2018
Working at St. Mary's offers a good working environment where teamwork is practiced as well as opportunities to learn new ways of approaching one's job. Online learning modules keep employees informed with up to date policies regarding patient care, safety procedures, etc. I learned how to inventory items, how to rotate stock as well as look for expiration dates, check for defective items by looking at lot numbers, catalogue numbers,etc.
Management helps by holding monthly staff meetings for all department employees as well as weekly department meetings, informing employees of changes in stocking and inventory procedures.
The people in the workplace are willing to pitch in and help with any workers who need extra help and are willing to teach others how to perform duties and jobs that are required.
The most difficult part of the job is learning which items are stock vs. non-stock, learning how to locate items throughout the hospital, how to charge them out and how to adjust the inventory.
The best part of the job for me is knowing that I did my best to ensure that the departments get their items in a timely manner and that they receive the correct items.

Comment – June 17, 2018

Thank you so much for your review. Our employees are the heart of our organization and are crucial to St. Mary's success.

This facility has molded me into the nurse I am today
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVMay 30, 2018
I have enjoyed working at smmc... I am however looking to further my career as a nurse. I will forever be grateful to the staff and patients I have encountered in my time at the facility.
Well
Patient Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVApril 23, 2018
It’s a cool place cause you get basically free insurance even though it’s pretty awful insurance. The work is too much though. The PCS role is ridiculous. You can’t expect us to do direct patient care on top of EKG, Phlebotomy, running nurses errands, to passing & picking up trays, passing linen, range of motion & chart all on all the patients in 8 hours. We have way more patients to take care of then the nurses. The pay is terrible too.
Pros
Insurance, paid vacation & holidays
Cons
Too much work, underpaid, under appreciated
Nice place to work good environment good co workers we all work together pulled together in emergency situations
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVApril 15, 2018
Good place to work good manager got along with coworkers liked my job company being bought out by another hospital afraid of layoffs so I'm looking for another workplace as good as this one was.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Not real good raises retirement not good
Benefits are ok but pay is subpar
Health Information Management Clerk (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVMarch 24, 2018
The only decent thing about that place are the benefits, everything else is disheartening . Department supervisors act like immature children or catty teenagers instead of behaving like adults.

Comment – March 26, 2018

Thank you for leaving an honest review about St. Mary's Medical Center. We are sorry to hear about your experience but appreciate you voicing your concern.

good place
CT/Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 18, 2018
nice place to work.less stress ,I have good lead tech.my co -workers are nice to work with.the radiologists too are nice and work well with the CT techs. we have inter department cross training
St. Marys
Environmental Aide (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVJanuary 6, 2018
I loved working here, and especially loved the people. It is a very fast paced work environment. The job was not easy and was very physically demanding, but I loved it.
Great place to wok
PCS (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVDecember 30, 2017
Great place to work. Not a great place to make friends. They need to make sure the people they hire are willing to do their job and actually know how to do it. Alot of nurses there are only in it for the money and not to take care of patients.
At least it was a job
Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hobart, INDecember 5, 2017
I really did enjoy my time that I worked at SMMC. However, I hated the low pay. You are expected to do so much and get paid not nearly enough. However, they did pay better than the local nursing homes!
Pros
Some great staff members, hospital, being able to buy things with your ID tag
Cons
Overworked, mean staff
Very understaffed
Many opportunities as Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVNovember 7, 2017
Very understaffed with little support from management. Very unorganized and little acknowledgement of policy and procedures from managers. Could be a very unsafe environment to work in for nurses and the care of their patients. Little praise given by management.

Comment – November 8, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your experience but appreciate you voicing your concern.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Marys Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

St. Marys Medical Center Reviews by Location