St. Marys Medical Center Employee Reviews

I loved the fact that at the end of the day, i had made a difference in someone's life.
ER Tech (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVAugust 20, 2018
I loved working at St. Mary's overall. However, I felt the management didn't listen to the employees about the problems and therefore, no solutions were attained. When I started working there, it was the PATIENT that mattered. After years of service, I noticed that the patient had become a number and only a dollar sign to the company. It was all about the all mighty dollar, not the patient. I was very disappointed.
Pros
I knew I had made a difference for someone at the end of the day.
Cons
Patients didn't matter and became only a number and a dollar sign to the company as time went on.
its a awesome place to work if your not working for Patient Transport
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVSeptember 21, 2018
Alot of walking from one side of hospital to the other. Alot of lefting pulling pushing. Horrible management. Basically doing a job that no one else wants to do.
Pros
Cons
Management always finds a way to make you feel like you dont do enough.
Fast pace work and on your feet alot...
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVOctober 10, 2018
Good place to work if you like fast pace work and good benefits.... Good people to work with.... You learn new job and position at St Mary....you work 40+ hour if you want the hours...
Pros
Good hours and good benefits
Cons
Fast pace
Nursing
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVSeptember 8, 2018
The hardest part of the job was working on holidays and missing time with my family, but the best part was doing what I love best in life and that is nursing. Helping people
Pros
Nursing was respected
Cons
Working holidays, and weekends
Well
Patient Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVApril 23, 2018
It’s a cool place cause you get basically free insurance even though it’s pretty awful insurance. The work is too much though. The PCS role is ridiculous. You can’t expect us to do direct patient care on top of EKG, Phlebotomy, running nurses errands, to passing & picking up trays, passing linen, range of motion & chart all on all the patients in 8 hours. We have way more patients to take care of then the nurses. The pay is terrible too.
Pros
Insurance, paid vacation & holidays
Cons
Too much work, underpaid, under appreciated
Nice place to work good environment good co workers we all work together pulled together in emergency situations
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVApril 15, 2018
Good place to work good manager got along with coworkers liked my job company being bought out by another hospital afraid of layoffs so I'm looking for another workplace as good as this one was.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Not real good raises retirement not good
N/a
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNAugust 8, 2018
A typical day at work was serving and delivering patient trays to them. I learned how to adapt to a fast paced environment, work apart of a team, and experience working in customer service
Ok but stressful
nurse (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WV 25702June 28, 2018
Many clicks, and if you dont belong they will railroad you out. and then black ball you. Hard place to work in some units. but there are some that are wonderful
Pros
Cons
work is hard staffing low managers are not well educated

Comment – June 30, 2018

Thank you for the review. We will address these concerns with management.

This facility has molded me into the nurse I am today
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVMay 30, 2018
I have enjoyed working at smmc... I am however looking to further my career as a nurse. I will forever be grateful to the staff and patients I have encountered in my time at the facility.
Benefits are ok but pay is subpar
Health Information Management Clerk (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVMarch 24, 2018
The only decent thing about that place are the benefits, everything else is disheartening . Department supervisors act like immature children or catty teenagers instead of behaving like adults.

Comment – March 26, 2018

Thank you for leaving an honest review about St. Mary's Medical Center. We are sorry to hear about your experience but appreciate you voicing your concern.

A good workplace environment in general
Materials Management Clerk (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVJune 15, 2018
Working at St. Mary's offers a good working environment where teamwork is practiced as well as opportunities to learn new ways of approaching one's job. Online learning modules keep employees informed with up to date policies regarding patient care, safety procedures, etc. I learned how to inventory items, how to rotate stock as well as look for expiration dates, check for defective items by looking at lot numbers, catalogue numbers,etc.
Management helps by holding monthly staff meetings for all department employees as well as weekly department meetings, informing employees of changes in stocking and inventory procedures.
The people in the workplace are willing to pitch in and help with any workers who need extra help and are willing to teach others how to perform duties and jobs that are required.
The most difficult part of the job is learning which items are stock vs. non-stock, learning how to locate items throughout the hospital, how to charge them out and how to adjust the inventory.
The best part of the job for me is knowing that I did my best to ensure that the departments get their items in a timely manner and that they receive the correct items.

Comment – June 17, 2018

Thank you so much for your review. Our employees are the heart of our organization and are crucial to St. Mary's success.

good place
CT/Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 18, 2018
nice place to work.less stress ,I have good lead tech.my co -workers are nice to work with.the radiologists too are nice and work well with the CT techs. we have inter department cross training
At least it was a job
Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hobart, INDecember 5, 2017
I really did enjoy my time that I worked at SMMC. However, I hated the low pay. You are expected to do so much and get paid not nearly enough. However, they did pay better than the local nursing homes!
Pros
Some great staff members, hospital, being able to buy things with your ID tag
Cons
Overworked, mean staff
Great place to wok
PCS (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVDecember 30, 2017
Great place to work. Not a great place to make friends. They need to make sure the people they hire are willing to do their job and actually know how to do it. Alot of nurses there are only in it for the money and not to take care of patients.
Very understaffed
Many opportunities as Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVNovember 7, 2017
Very understaffed with little support from management. Very unorganized and little acknowledgement of policy and procedures from managers. Could be a very unsafe environment to work in for nurses and the care of their patients. Little praise given by management.

Comment – November 8, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your experience but appreciate you voicing your concern.

Great place to work, and educational with advancement.
Certified Nursing AssistantMed Surg Float Pool (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNOctober 13, 2017
I worked Medical/Surgical Float Pool with some wonderful staff members, who were always willing to work as a team. I would work their again and I would pass on to others what a great experience it was.
Pros
Learning/Education
St. Marys
Environmental Aide (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVJanuary 6, 2018
I loved working here, and especially loved the people. It is a very fast paced work environment. The job was not easy and was very physically demanding, but I loved it.
Fast paced fun place to work
In house patient transport (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVAugust 29, 2017
I enjoy my job and my direct supervisor is great but pay is terrible here for my position and zero room for andvancement to better myself for me and my daughter. This is why im seeking employment elsewhere for better oppurtunity
Pros
Discounts at few various places around town
Cons
Pay is low and no advancement oppurtunity
would be a great place to work if management was better
SPD Tech II (Former Employee) –  Hobart, INJune 11, 2017
I really enjoy the kind of work that I do. It's challenging and can be busy at times. I was under the impression, when hired, that everyone was to be treated fairly and honestly. This was not the case here. Management and team leader were not fair. They didn't listen to the techs that had experience and were trying to improve things.
Pros
good insurance and decent wages
Cons
poor management and unorganized operating procedures.
very fast paced workplace
RN (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVOctober 2, 2017
I didn't mind working here, but the hours that I was required to work was unbearable. I don't do well with night shift, and working nights and days in the same week was hard. We also worked short a lot of the times.
Pros
free healthcare
Cons
night shift, work short

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Marys Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about