STA Travel Employee Reviews

Best student job ever
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MISeptember 7, 2017
I was a student Brand Ambassador and had a wonderful boss, a relaxed work schedule, opportunities to challenge yourself with more work, and great benefits.
Pros
Travel credits, flexible hours
Cons
Low actual pay
Fun, Youth oriented culture
Director of National Telephone Sales (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 28, 2017
They were a young company with a lot of innovative and outside box ideas. They were willing to put members of the staff to the challenge of making themselves reach a higher goal.
Pros
Youth oriented. outside of the box thinking
Cons
limited compensation packed and sometimes a little too competitive
Decent entry-level job where you can gain valuable skills
Travel Expert (Former Employee) –  BelfastAugust 13, 2017
Developed valuable skills - sales and customer service, database management, sales and customer service experience. Learned to de-escalate and resolve conflict. Learned to be proficient in using Amadeus GDS. A good entry-level job. Good lunch breaks (an hour) and some amazing travel perks if you take advantage of them.

Workplace culture was pretty relaxed and generally supportive - very much depends on your manager and their approach though. On our team there was some bullying which wasn't picked up on, but thankfully those two team members left soon after I joined.

My favourite part of the job was the challenging technical skills I had to develop and getting good at tricky aspects of the job like doing date changes.

Worst part of the job was horrible customers, like in any retail environment.
Pros
Relaxed work environment and company culture, good travel perks. Good entry level job.
Cons
Not great pay unless you're a top seller. Not a lot of room for career growth.
Operations Manager
Senior US Global Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJuly 1, 2017
STA Travel is a great place to work. I learned a lot in my years working there. Great room for growth while operations was based in the US. Good work/life balance.
Pros
Generous time Off, Money to travel, fun workplace, casual dress
Cons
Operations was moved to Romania
Fun work environment
Operations (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJune 20, 2017
STA Travel was hands down the best office I have ever had the pleasure of working in. The people are great, management is awesome and the culture is outstanding!
Pros
very laid back, work/life balance, benefits are great
Cons
stability in this company is scary, they're quick to let workers go if it benefits the company in the long run
Fun workplace
Travel Help Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZNovember 28, 2016
Great opportunities to travel and the compensation is good but not much long-term growth potential in the US. Hours depend on how long you've been there so it can be good or bad. Favoritism can come into play. Downsizing was always a worry as well.
Best travel agency of it's kind.
Customer Service Representative/Sales (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZ and worldwide.November 9, 2016
Travel was encouraged and rewarded. Many free trips if sales were good and it didn't take away from vacation time (one month.) Excellent room for advancement.
Pros
Free travel, One month paid vacation, health benefits, 401k
Best Working Environment and Management
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 28, 2015
STA Travel was an exceptional company when based in Los Angeles. I've lost track of most of upper management over the years, but my time at STA Travel was integral in my personal and professional development and offered me a chance to learn I had a passion for travel.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Great job to apply skills, learn and be creative.
Travel Advisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 28, 2014
This company gave you the independence and knowledge to help people with travel itineraries.
I am a dedicated hard working person who works well with others, punctual, detail oriented, dependable, enthusiastic, outgoing and welcoming
Senior Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 8, 2013
A typical day at work for me is: Most of the time I get to work about 15 minutes early so I can check the emails, I clear up the voice mail. I make sure I answered all calls and messages. I check all the appointments and make sure a list of all top priorities are done.
I am highly committed to provide a casual and fun working environment with many opportunities for professional development and company growth. As a customer service representative I have dedicated myself to provide a a great customer service experience. Understand customer needs and provide them with appropriate solutions. For example provide them with an excellent service, treat them with respect, kind and being knowledge. I have learned to make strategic relationship with clients to establish loyalty, confidence and trust which resulted in the company to increase sales.
The hardest part of my job was to leave projects unfinished.
The most enjoyable part of my job was that I enjoyed working with people, self- motivation, dedication and a work environment in which I can contribute my experience and knowledge and help the company grow.
Great place to work. Professional and passionate people
Travel Help and Wholesale Expert (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZSeptember 1, 2013
Young spirit company. International experience, Great managment.
Relaxed environment
HR Representative (Former Employee) –  lewisville,txMay 30, 2013
great company to work for.
takes care of employees.
great benefits.
STA Travel is an amazing company to work for
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Lewisville, TXMarch 11, 2013
I have been with STA Travel for 6 years. This company is so vibrant and I have learned skills and trades that will benefit me for years to come. I belonged to a second family while working here. I would encourage anyone to apply for a position with STA Travel, as it will be an experience they would never forget.
Fun Work Place
Online Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 14, 2013
A positive place to work where creativity is encouraged. Senior management care about employees and marketing campaigns are different.
Great company
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 17, 2012
STA is where I learned most of my SQL skills. I got exposed to SQL server 2005 and learned a lot of technical as well as financial skills.
Discount Student Travel Agency
Travel Advisor (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJune 5, 2012
Helped students and teachers book flights, hotels, tours, study aboard trips. Learned how to use Sabre and multiple travel booking engines. The management was very involved and helpful. They encouraged us to sell to meet our goals and earn reward trips. The hardest part of the trip was dealing with cancelled flights or bad weather. The most enjoyable part of the job was earning repeat clients and receiving post cards and updates from their journeys...creating memories is awesome!
Pros
incentive trips for top sellers
Cons
the store closed
Company changes directions more often than the wind
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  ArizonaMarch 3, 2012
STA Travel is one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. The upper management is absolutely clueless about which direction this organization needs to go it, therefore they implement significant changes almost weekly. There have been three "presidents" in the last five years, and many VPs have either left or been replaced during that time. Also, the sales staff are never given an opportunity to give feedback on company policies or even the computer systems that are used to sell products and services. The company changes partnerships and relationships with vendors so frequently that it is hard to keep track. Also, the VP of Sales is in way over her head....should have probably stuck to being an operations manager as that is her real talent. There are also significant issues with upper management favoring employees while alienating others....most notably being when the recent president takes male sales staff to a local gentlemens club. Unfortunately, HR just turns and looks the other way when a grievance is raised.
Pros
good opportunity for career growth.
Cons
low wages, demotivated company culture, and very high turnover.
7 1/2 years down the drain....
Senior Travel Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 3, 2011
STA provides little or no upward mobility for career development and if you are not in the top 15% top sales group you will get little or no attention in general. They seem to think that only good sellers equate to good leaders when job history of their managers will prove that unfounded. I was with the company for 7 1/2 years and had 5 mangers in that time frame and was even passed up for promotion to that position even though I was the most qualified and then had yet another inexperienced person put into this position who coma equipped with very little leadership skills. As well when reached out to upper management about issued regarding this I was always told to sell more but that otherwise I wasn't good enough. Very little support here unless you are making the company big $$ and very little compensation for it in the end except for a month off each year and the opportunity to travel at a slightly discounted rate.
Pros
plenty of time of per year to travel, travel discounts
Cons
little or no chance of upward career mobilty, little or no support from management, noncompetive pay