Stage Stores Employee Reviews

Lack of leadership, low pay, constant pressure from management, no training.
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Mission, TXMarch 20, 2019
Once hired, you are expected to know policies and store procedures already. They will not train you, or willingly explain things to you. If you ask questions you are seen as a burden. Management will extend or shorten your work hours at moments notice. Coworkers are not welcoming or helpfull. If you get on managers bad side expect rude comments, ugly looks, and disregard for you completely as a person. Store does not comply with osha safety guidelines. Work load is piled on with no regard to persons capabilities or safety. Example you will be expected to climb ladders while carrying heavy objects with no help, or sharp tools such as screwdrivers etc. Expected to move heavy objects with no help. Management will willfully boast that they make people quit. If you have family or children do not expect management to understand or work with you if any tragedy or unseen life event happen. Example once a coworkers primary family member passed away manager literally did not care simply excused the reason as " well we are short staffed today." While working at this department store I literally felt mentally and verbally abused and my morality was diminished purposely. Overall I would not recommend this position to anyone.

Although I post discounts as a pro, you don't really receive them unless you've worked here for years. And the 20 percent you do initially get is not worth, the degrading treatment you will definitely receive.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Stated in my review
Not worth the stress
Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Elizabethton, TNMarch 20, 2019
Never have enough people on the floor during a shift, supervisors spend 95% of time in office, not paid enough to match responsibities. They place too much pressure on the magazines, so much so it's almost to the point you have to con the customer into receiving them based on guidelines. My position was sales based & as a counter manager, I only received 2% commission.
Pros
Stackable discounts, Early access to new products & gifts with purchase, hour lunch breaks
Cons
Understaffed, no benefits, low compensation
Poor Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  IowaMarch 19, 2019
They give you terrible hours if you haven’t made any customer apply for a credit card. Certain managers show favoritism to employees who have earned credit cards. In my opinion, it’s unfair. Many customers say no to the credit card applications so I’m not sure how I’m supposed to earn so many credit cards. Then they get greedy by making us push the customer into applying for the Gordmans credit card, by prompting us to ask them so many questions that they would eventually start to get irritated or uncomfortable.
Pros
Discounts, Made friends
Cons
Terrible Hours, Management, Pay
Awesome place to work
District Asset Protection Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 18, 2019
Stage Stores Inc based out of Houston, TX is a great company to work for. I really enjoy my position with the company. I do a lot of training on a daily basis with folks from all different walks of life across the country.
Pros
Great company
Cons
better pay
Good part-time job but a lot of drama
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Levelland, TXMarch 15, 2019
Relaxed environment when it's not busy. Easy to catch on. I met some great people working here but it felt like I was in high school again but with people who were all older than me. In the Levelland location it is REALLY about who you know. For example, I was not "known" so I started out at the lowest pay rate. When another employer was hired, her starting pay was DOLLARS above mine but because her mom knew the manger. If you know the manager you could get hired without any experience. A lot of the work drama was because of the choices the manager was making. A lot of talking behind employers backs. Other than all of this it was a good place to work part-time, get paid and go home. There was some great people just a lot of personal drama. If you keep out of the drama you'll be absolutely fine. I did my best every shift and a lot of the time it seemed to go unnoticed because it also seemed like every one was trying to take credit and stay out of trouble with the manager. You will also have to work on holidays, especially newer employers because seniority will take place.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
working on holidays, drama
The worst retail company out there
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Seminole, TXMarch 14, 2019
Unstable store and upper management. Building was falling apart. Never repaired while I was there. Clothing would arrive with mold on it. Lots of external theft that the regional loss prevention cared nothing about. Overall bad working environment. Glad I wasn’t there long.
Pros
Got a paycheck
Cons
Too many to
Great people
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 12, 2019
Every company has it's challenges but really enjoyed my time there. I felt like I had a solid career trajectory but do to personal reasons I decided to move back home.
fun palce
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Monahans, TXMarch 12, 2019
It was fun to work there, we had short lunches, the atmosphere was great but when I worked there the management was not so good too much drama. Now I have heard really good stuff about the new management. I am glad it is a fun store to work and shop.
Pros
discounts
Cons
short breaks
Manager was not nice.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, TXMarch 10, 2019
I was injured and she would not let me have a break at all. I was on crutches and she would make me work the floor where I'd be standing 4+ hours and walking. I'd go home with severe knee and back pain, swelling feet, and headaches from the pain. Wouldnt recommend as I dont feel it's worth it to be anything less than management.
Pros
Makeup
Cons
Everything else
Absolutely do not recommend!
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pikeville, KYMarch 9, 2019
I HATE working here, but it is my only choice in the area where I live. The company doesn’t care AT ALL about their employees. They will constantly hound you and yell down your throat about credit card applications and magazine subscriptions. Your pay raise will also depend on the amount you get. It is absolutely absurd. They expect you to work HARD on minimum wage, while they sit on their high horses. They like employees to specifically target older customers with store credit cards to sign up for magazine subscriptions, due to the fact that they get pure profit from the subscriptions and the older you are the more likely you will forget to cancel your subscription and you will get charged. Oh, and the magazine subscriptions are very hard to cancel. So that’s great as well.
They threaten to fire you for not meeting metrics. It doesn’t matter if you ask every customer if they would like a magazine or credit card. They will tell you that you aren’t good enough if the customer says no.
This is the worst company I have ever worked for in my entire life.
One more thing. THE MANAGMENT IS ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE.
PLEASE DO NOT WORK HERE.
I AM WARNING YOU!!!!!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not enough breaks, poor management, not enough pay for the work you do, constant harassment if you don’t meet the unattainable credit card and magazine goal
Easy but occasionally frustrating
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Durant, OKMarch 4, 2019
people are great, low on staff, high district expectations. To many hour cuts. Not enough motivated workers. more managers than associates, and always pushing to meet goals.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
non stop
Pleasant Environment
Call Center - Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 28, 2019
I was highly impressed with the level of professionalism I experienced at Stage. They have refreshingly high standards when it come to customer service, which, sadly, has become rare these days. For the sake of being through, the hardest part of the job were the rare back to back calls (due to a glitch in the software which threw me directly into the next call). The most rewarding part was knowing I worked for a company that genuinely cares about it's clients and employees! The Leadership did their best to work with employees in order to maintain morale high during the busy holiday season. The employee discount was definitely a blessing! A rewarding experience all around, wonderful company and a great team!
Challenging environment
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 27, 2019
Due to the uncertainty of their longevity, the company is operating in crisis mode. Until they find their way back to financial health (if they can), they are treading water.
Pros
compensation
Cons
uncertainty of company
Ignore everything read in the description of the job
Store Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOFebruary 25, 2019
You are a door greeter if you are applying for the Asset Protection department. You cannot stop anyone, even if you catch them shoplifting. You have to greet everyone can't use surveillance and the district manager is unbearable. Management is very poor.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Short breaks, very poor management
This place was a disaster, literally!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 24, 2019
Stage was a good job at first but after a few months it was very disgusting. People were stealing left & right . Every other day it was something different & the managers were horrible
Nope
Beauty Advisor/ Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Payson, AZFebruary 22, 2019
Absolutely stress and disappointment. Upper management couldn’t care less about any of the workers. Our store manager just stopped showing up one day and it took them months to eventually fire her and start looking for a replacement. I ran the beauty counter for two make up companies. They would always be advertising free gifts to guests and the company refused to send me any in my year and a half of working there. So no happy clients= sales not being met= no commission for your hard work of trying to please the clients when the company doesn’t give you proper product. Restock would take a long time to show up so another reason sales goals couldn’t be met. I had to help out cashiers constantly because we didn’t have enough staff and the store manager liked to hide in her office and would refuse to come out. Yet no one wanted to help me out on my counter. Mainly everything about working here was a massive disappointment.
Not a good job or company to work for
RETAIL STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  WisconsionFebruary 20, 2019
Management is a joke. Every decision seems to be done by the seat of the pants or purely on a whim. Communication is very lacking and often direction changes day to day. Payroll hours are constantly cut, making it difficult to complete assigned tasks and provide a pleasant customer experience. Pay in not competitive for the area, meaning staff doesn't stay long when hired. High rate of turnover. Health and vacation benefits are only available to full time employees. Discount seems designed so you give your paycheck pack to the company.
Pros
flexible scheduling if you are part time
Cons
Pay, amount of work, stress, advancement possibilities
Do not reccomend.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  OhioFebruary 18, 2019
No benefits being part time (which is all they offer unless you are management). Management is okay, but the company itself is very selfish and only focused on the money.
Pros
Associate discount
Cons
pretty much everything
Sinking Ship now operating out of desperation
IS management (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 15, 2019
Stage used to be a decent place to work but times have become too tough on retail and Stage doesn't have the money to keep talent. Mass corp layoffs abound and moral is extremely low at head quarters.
Anyone left after this week in the IT department will be leaving as soon as they can find other opportunities and those of us that did leave are already trying to help them.
Pros
good people
Cons
bad company
Good management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  McAlester, OKFebruary 13, 2019
Good team good management. Pushes you to do your best and complete work but also a kind work environment. It was nice to work there while it lasted. I wish them all the best.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stage Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight