Stage Stores Management reviews

Not a good job or company to work for
RETAIL STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  WisconsionFebruary 20, 2019
Management is a joke. Every decision seems to be done by the seat of the pants or purely on a whim. Communication is very lacking and often direction changes day to day. Payroll hours are constantly cut, making it difficult to complete assigned tasks and provide a pleasant customer experience. Pay in not competitive for the area, meaning staff doesn't stay long when hired. High rate of turnover. Health and vacation benefits are only available to full time employees. Discount seems designed so you give your paycheck pack to the company.
Pros
flexible scheduling if you are part time
Cons
Pay, amount of work, stress, advancement possibilities
Too stressful for the lack of pay
Retail Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cut Off, LADecember 4, 2018
I worked as an Assistant Manager for 2 years, during that time I was handling this store like I had near no one else helping at times. I was named associate of the year, and was praised and rewarded from higher district management and was still only offered 1 raise of 20 cents.
Very unprofessional behavior/organization from district and higher management. The lack of communication and helpful criticism made it such a hectic place to work.
Associates (at the location I was at) were only offered 5 - 10 hours a week if they were lucky, unless its thanksgiving or Christmas. Its a good work place for students, or people just looking or a little extra cash.
I believe a job is what you make of it. Every place has its down side but as I stayed there and learned the ways of the inside of the company, I realized their motives were corrupt. Again as an associate, it really isn't bad. As part of Management, the headaches do not match the pay, so be careful!
Pros
Work around clothes (good discounts)
Cons
bad pay
Not a good place to work.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pageland, SCAugust 12, 2018
Stage stores do not care about their employees. All they care about is if you get people to apply for credit cards or sign up for magazines. They could care less if you show up on time everyday. They could care less if you have never missed a shift. It does not matter how hard you work, you will not be recognized for anything except how many credit cards and magazines you get. The pay is not worth it at all and you only get a raise once a year. The yearly raise you get is usually around 10-15 cents. Really not worth your time at all!
Pros
Associate discount
Cons
Employees are not cared about at all!
Be Careful
Maintenance Mechanic II (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 21, 2018
Unless you are single and you don’t do much in your free time along with valuing your life. I recommend not working here. If you’ve been in maintenance and the amount they offer you, will almost feel like a slap in the face. Aside from the upper management. The rest mostly act like children and treat you badly. I was fired for having to go to my grandmas funeral l, I covered my bases and filled out the slip. The new maintenance mgr didn’t see it but it was in a few days time from death to burial I did everything right. Next they stole food out of my kids mouth by making me pay them back for the pto. Aside from the obvious things the biggest is safety. They say they care about you but actually they don’t.
Benefits
Cons
A lot
Do not reccomend.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  OhioFebruary 18, 2019
No benefits being part time (which is all they offer unless you are management). Management is okay, but the company itself is very selfish and only focused on the money.
Pros
Associate discount
Cons
pretty much everything
Fun place to work
PRICING ACCURACY ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 6, 2018
i enjoyed my almost 16 years at Stage. The company in very involved in the community and volunteers at different agencies throughout the year. The management was wonderful.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
departmentalized by floor so not as much interaction between departments
Stage is alright but the work is very stressful up and customers defacate everwhere and it takes forever to clean up
Sales Associate and Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  OklahomaJanuary 27, 2019
stage is a very unpleasant place to work. MY manager was very abusive during my employment. She is a certified crazy person!!!!!!!!!!!! again,,, management only cared about my work performance and how many magazines i can push off to customers, if we don't sell enough we are constantly threatened with being fired. Very stressful work environment.
Pros
Cons
Stage customers are extreme rude. Stage customers defacate on the clothes in the dressing rooms
good place to work
freight receiving (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ARJuly 10, 2018
the management was poor, no training was given at all, there was no paid sick days and no bonus pay and no benefits whatsoever. there was no holiday pay. the pay was very low as well.
Never again will i work there
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Elkton, MDFebruary 11, 2019
Hated working there, management was very poor and didn't care about other employes and pushed the credit cards and magazine sales or you get threatened with your job or a write up, got no paid holidays and if you needed time off, got attitude from corporate and the pay wasn't enough at all to make a living off of, would not recommend this place to anyone, also some of the workers were rude to you for no reason, not to mention the rude customers who always destroyed the dressing rooms or would sneak in there to get the ink tags off the clothes, overall this place is ridiculous and very stressful
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Unorganized, poor management, poor pay, too focused on credit cards and magazines
Fun Yet Not Professional
Estee Lauder & Clinique Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Dumas, TXNovember 4, 2018
Being a counter manager for Estée Lauder, & Clinique, was a very interactive job that included very responsible duties and responsibilities. Although I managed my own counter, with having a Clinique counter also in the same store, you sometimes had to be in charge of their duties when needed as well as your own. My head store manager made it difficult to focus on two counters already, but had no problem adding regular store associates uncompleted responsibilities as well as your own. Very unprofessional, extremely unorganized, and never fulfilled anything on time or correctly within the store itself. I feel as if under better, professional management, the beauty counters would have been well organized, more effective in sales, and successful overall.
Pros
Great Pay, Great Management Experience
Cons
Poor Management, Lack of Organization, Very Unprofessionall
It's a start
Assistant Buyer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 5, 2018
Good place to start out. Likely would have to leave to advance as desired. Management does not know how to manage. Advancement seems more based on how much someone likes you rather than work skills. You can definitely learn a lot if you seek out teachers and work hard.
Good People Poor Work Environment
Senior Director, Omni Channel Projects (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 17, 2018
Made great life long friends at Stage. New offices very difficult to work in as there is a lot of disruption with open concept cubicles. Middle Management is great but Senior Management could be improved
Pros
People
Cons
No work life balance
High stress job with low pay compensation and benefits, unrealistic goals.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Sapulpa, OKMarch 13, 2018
The Company sets unrealistic goals and requirements for it's management teams, Some of the requirements are extremely unsafe and should not be required by the associates. The pay compensation and benefits do not match the amount of work and type of work expected from Management teams.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Low pay, horrible benefits, unrealistic expectations.
Productive and fun environment
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Alpine, TXApril 26, 2018
Great management skills. Very work orientated. Always had something to do. Enjoyed working with customers and my manager. Enjoyed the environment and atmosphere in the store.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No benefits
Company's morale and expectations are excellent. However store managers do not uphold the same company standards
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Eden, NCSeptember 23, 2018
Poor management. Dishonesty and theft go unchecked. Honest employees are attacked and antagonized. High turnover rates, lack of proper training. Corporate recognizes great work because numbers do not lie, but management promises rewards and incentives but never deliver even though monies would be taken out (petty cash) for such they were not being used properly but for personal gain/use.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Lack of proper training, dishonesty and theft at the hands of upper management
Extremely Hectic Hours, Bad Management, Bad Employees,
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Eagle Pass, TXJanuary 8, 2019
The work they make you do is very tiring, for what they paid me, it was pretty bad. Honestly, horrible place to work.. Managers and employees are lazy.. The beauty lines are complete favoritism so they rarely do anything. Don't work here unless you never ever get tired, or if you're an extremely cheerful person. If you get hired, prepare yourself to get pushed until you break physically and mentally. This place doesn't care about your health, just making money and submitting credit card applications.
Pros
20% Discount
Cons
Working there...
Ridiculous Expectations.
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Durant, OKApril 16, 2018
You are given an unrealistic expectations. The district manager knows nothing. You have to fight to have at LEAST 15 hours. Raises are only 10 cents.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Staff treatment, unrealistic goals, pay grade, hours
Company doesn’t care about its employees
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Laplace, LaAugust 20, 2018
Working for Stage was the root of most of my stress. Corporate expects all employees to get customers to sign up for magazines (that no one wants because its 2018 and they’re free online) and credit cards that most customers already have. And if you don’t meet their goals, you may be out of a job. Not enough hours are given to cover all departments so its left to the managers to clean the whole store AND put out all of the freight. On busy weekends, there’s not enough employees to help customers, so the customer service isn’t the best. The company truly doesn’t care about its employees at all. The amount of work that’s expected from you is not worth what they are paying you. The only good thing about working there is that sometimes they give associates an extra 10-20% off of their discount, which is already 20% off. I would not recommend working here unless it was your last option.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Pay, expectations, upper management
Love my job!
Goody’s Associate (Current Employee) –  Linton, INJanuary 18, 2019
Fun place to work! Have and continue to learn about retail/ merchandising. Love the management and the people I have met in the company! Would recommend to any one looking for a part time job. The only down side to the job would be the hours and pay, which is very low compared to many of the competitors in the area.
Pros
Cons
Few hours, not enough pay
Okay..
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 17, 2018
I loved my job despite it being fast paced and stressful at times. Management was VERY two faced and did a lot of favoritism.
Going up in the company showed true colors.
Also, A LOT of pressure for credit cards and magazines which is hard to get already without all the threats of getting written up or possibly let go.
Pros
Discount/Coupons. Hour lunches (5+ hours)
Cons
Management. Credit card/magazine pressure

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stage Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight