Stanford Health Care Employee Reviews

decent work
Inventory Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CA 94305January 16, 2019
good paycheck. A typical day at work. What you learned. Management? Workplace culture? The hardest part of the job culture? The most enjoyable part of
Pros
paycheck
Cons
hours
Working at Stanford
Respiratory Care Practitioner II (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAJanuary 11, 2019
You might think the pay is very good but it does not outweigh the cost of living in the SF Bay Area. The commute is terrible, most healthcare workers do not live within 10 miles from the campus. Because of the hospitals upgrade and retrofit, management and workplace culture reflect on the low moral of the healthcare workers; this is the hardest part, since of course it's about economics. The most enjoyable part are the people who work for SHC.
Pros
Awesome Staff
Cons
workplace culture
Great Hospital to Work For
Admitting Registrar (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAJanuary 6, 2019
Working here is stable, and has its ebbs and flows in terms of pace - the amount of work is dependent on how many patients show up. Very hands on, front facing position - you will handle a variety of personalities and must multitask to complete the handful of goals in front of you. Management is great; so long as performance is there, you will be recognized for your efforts. Benefits are solid too. The only con would be sick days, vacation days, and holidays are pretty much bundled into one bucket. Other than that, it is a wonderful place to work.
Not worth it!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark, CADecember 28, 2018
Don’t sacrifice your health, sanity, or family life for a few extra dollars or the Stanford name. Don’t believe the hype. This is s terrible place to work. It’s a very punitive, unprofessional, cutthroat environment. Turnover is constant, There have been numerous investigations yet HR and employee labor relations do nothing. Hard work is not rewarded and favoritism is rampant. Lots of stress LOAs, even a miscarriage. The contact center leadership in Newark are unethical, unprofessional, and unqualified. Can’t believe what is allowed. Thankful I got out.
Pros
High salary when you start
Cons
Hostile work environment
Just a Brand Name
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CADecember 10, 2018
I thought this would be the dream organization to work for, until I was able to see for myself that it is nothing more than a Brand name.

Workplace Culture is a mess and very sketchy, it can differ from department to department so this is solely based on what I have experienced not from what I have heard. There is really no discretion in this organization and everyone just does what they want. If you want to succeed here you need to pretty much go against your work ethic and look the other way a lot.

The most enjoyable part of my job has to be the patients I have interacted with, and the hardest part of my job would have to be dealing with colleagues that only treat their job as a paycheck with no other type of attachment.
Cons
No employee appreciation
Negative Environment
Sr. Bone Marrow Transplant Technologist (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CADecember 7, 2018
Everyone thinks they are your boss.

Training is scattered, inconsistent, and misdirected.

Department is not open or welcoming to newcomers.

Established employees create back-channels of gossip.

Pay not worth mental cost of commute from SF.

*HOSTILE WORK ENVIRONMENT*
Pros
Good resources
Cons
Overcritical coworkers
Professional work environment with friendly staff
PROJECT COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CADecember 7, 2018
I've learned so much about the structure and expectations of the organization. The culture here is very professional. Coming in from a non-healthcare background it was difficult to catch on to the lingo the first two months. I really enjoyed working with my coworkers, they're expertise has helped me develop new skills and encouraged me to achieve my best.
Pros
(Free) Lunch meetings.
Cons
Your mistakes are highlighted more than your successes.
High paced
Clerical Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CADecember 5, 2018
High paced place to work, have to pay for parking and park far away is a hassle. Meet all kinds of different people. Can learn a lot working here. 30 min lunch breaks.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Pay for parking, and parking is far from clinics
Overworked & Underpaid
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pinole, CADecember 5, 2018
Unprofessional management, no sick pay, benefits were ok. Yearly raises were not based off performance,or knowledge or experience in your field but always based off managements personal opinion of you, which was always offensive and poorly judged. Favortism, and people there were super petty, especially management, no support from them, most times they made things worse between coworkers with gossip
Pros
Doctors were very friendly
Cons
Management, favortism, low pay
Excellent learning for interns
Volunteer, Nutrition Services (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CANovember 26, 2018
Great opportunity to volunteer and learn about their nutrition department. Learned about dietitian role, contract management, cafeteria contracts and diet education
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 18, 2018
Management and supervisors create a hierarchy, politics is very prevalent in the organization. Any misstep or seeming mistake gets reported to supervisors and upper management. There is a lot of gossip that goes around amongst the staff. There is no room for improvement or growth.
Cons
Politics, hierarchy
Stanford is a company to work for I transferred from Florida for them
MFM sonographer at Stanford childrens (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CANovember 18, 2018
The
Experience working there is amazing . I love the doctors and my co workers but management has changed and its making things very different for everyone in the department.
Co-workers are wonderful to work & get along with:)
PRS (Former Employee) –  Newark, CANovember 11, 2018
My situation was handle unprofessionally by Management! The Issues starts on how management treats / handles the issues!
They don't listen to why is't an issue in the first place, they right away blame the employee whom brought it to there attention, that's what happen to me, & laughed in my face.
Management needs more training on how to approach a problem, & treat Employees with C I - CARE! not just for Patients.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Management Favoritism & Unprofessional.
Enjoy working here!
Food Service Associate/ Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CANovember 5, 2018
Enjoy working at Stanford, Energetic People, workplace culture is fantastic!
Hardest part of my job is sometimes seeing certain patients through out the day.
all around customer service for medical care
CA/MA (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CANovember 5, 2018
greet patients
checking in
vitaled
follow up on patients medical record
checked out patient with up coming appointment

answered phones
assisted MDs, nurses, coworkers
Pros
learned alot working here
Traveling Registered Nurse
Traveling Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CANovember 2, 2018
Traveling Registered Nurse that enjoyed my experience. The staff environment had team effort and worked well together. Many opportunities to learn and advance my skills
Management Doesn't Care About Their Employees
Clinic Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 25, 2018
Unfortunately it seems like all of my male coworkers are quickly promoted and advanced while the female employees take much longer to be promoted. The managers also tend to turn employees on each other instead of encouraging teamwork. I was constantly assigned non-promotional work that needed to get done but was not the type of work that allows someone to climb the career ladder. I also noticed that the majority of non-promotional work is assigned to the female staff while the male staff is assigned more meaningful assignments. There's also a lot of turnover in management so you're constantly being assigned new supervisors; sometimes without anyone even notifying you.
Pros
Good health benefits, beautiful campus, great coworkers
Cons
Management, Salary increases of only 2-3% annually, When you're promoted the max salary increase is only 5%
Great benefits
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 23, 2018
Was a good place to work and advance your career, it is a very large hospital and a lot of staff to work with may not be a match for everyone. But considered one of the best hospitals in the bay area.
Pros
Great salary and benefits.
Not To Good for My Department
Customer Service Resolution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 23, 2018
Though I realize all companies have pros and cons, I would seriously, seriously advise against hiring out at th department I just left. There is a reason there are 3-4 openings per week - TURNOVER. Horrible supervisors, lack of knowledge, fear for your job if you do anything 'incorrectly'. Do Not Recommend.
Pros
HR Benefits
Great Teaching Hospital But No Career Advancement
Nursing Assistant II & Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 20, 2018
Stanford has been an awesome teaching hospital. However, the opportunity for career advancement lacks. They are quick to hire outsiders before taking care of their own, even after working there for over 10 years. Doesn't make you feel valued as an employee. Benefits are good but could be better. They offer no incentives to stay longer. Turnover rates are high. Lots of micromanagement which creates a stressful work environment. If you're coming from UCSF or Samuel Merritt, then you're automatically favored.
Pros
Free meals during holidays.
Cons
Shortage, no career advancement, micromanagement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stanford Health Care. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss