Stanford University Employee Reviews

Wary of your choice
IT (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 27, 2018
It's easy to get pigeon held here. They do not often promote from within and get too comfortable with where you are positioned. Seen too many people come here for several years not move up and instead move on. However, the work environment is very comfortable. Management will provide training and can be very supportive of that. Still do not expect to move anywhere as you can get all that training and watch the position you want be filled by an outside contractor.

The new CIO is great and is against these models but has to put Stanford through a culture change before that is possible.

In short do not consider this for long term unless you are coming in with a position you are happy to retire in. In that case once you join Stanford they will take care of you.
Pros
Good benefits, good working environment, training opportunities
Cons
Low pay, Pigeon holds.
The core characteristics of an institution in higher education must be considered when considering an employment opportunity in this industry.
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 14, 2018
Experiences vary within this organization due to the sub-cultures that exist within each of the schools. Moving around the organization is desired by those who want to have access to new technology and gain new experiences. Employees have to own the process of managing their careers and seeking opportunities for development.
Pros
Benefits plans (outside of tuition assistance for those with children in college)
Cons
Limited resources, difficulty to implement change, multiple systems used inconsistently throughout the organization, schools/departments have varied access to technology, common to find duplicated efforts, lack of communication between internal groups and organizations
Stanford
Lead Preschool Teacher (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAJuly 30, 2018
Working for Stanford is a great opportunity I wish everyone could get a chance to be a part of. The environment is inspiring and the people I am surrounded by are some of the most educationally advanced in their fields. The only thing I found to be frustrating at times was the culture of the silicon valley which tends to be very work- focused and not so much life balance focused.
Pros
Full benefit coverage, caring management, strong relationships
Cons
commute traffic with little commuter benefits/ no public transportation benefits, no company perks
Good and not-so-good
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAOctober 16, 2018
Overall Stanford is a decent place to work, depending on what you want in a job/career. As with most companies, the department where you work, and whom you work with, are key factors. My most recent position at Stanford was in a small office that was part of a bigger department. Other than meetings, I felt isolated. My manager was fine in terms of having an open-door policy and being easy to talk to, but I concluded that I wouldn't get a chance to learn anything beyond what I had been doing. There is definitely a lot of "office politics" in certain departments. The campus itself is stunning; I never got tired of seeing it. If you want to work with the latest technology, however, Stanford is probably not the place for you. The bureaucracy can be frustrating; things that seem relatively easy to accomplish take longer than they should.
Pros
Free CalTrain pass, 403(B) plan
Cons
Health insurance is kind of expensive
Staff are considered second class citizens
Student Services Officer (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAOctober 3, 2018
I have worked in a couple positions at Stanford and it is pretty clear to me that management on campus do not value their employees. They regularly ignore the concerns and needs of the staff and continue to overly tend to the faculty and students. If you work with students, you will find that many are quite entitled and that they have been hand held their entire academic career at Stanford. Faculty are extremely difficult to work with as they believe that all staff are essentially their secretaries. The Stanford name means something on your resume but once you get here, it is not necessarily a good place to work. I am sure that many departments and centers have excellent support of their staff but what I have seen so far has been quite disappointing and it makes me want to leave the education field entirely.
Pros
Beautiful campus
Cons
Expensive parking, lack of opportunities for promotion, low pay for the area
Wants to be flexible/progressive and isn't
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Stanford UniversitySeptember 6, 2018
A lot of ideas are touted at Stanford (flexible schedules, ability to telecommute to name a few) but your access to these arrangements is entirely dependent on your manager. If you get a conservative manager, you won't get any of these benefits. Stanford should find a way to make sure that these types of things are offered to the entire workforce and that their management can't interpret the rules as they see fit.
Pros
Backup care benefit, tuition reimbursement, yearly funds for training
Cons
Decentralized, if you get a bad manager, you will be a bit stuck.
A good place to work - institution has stability.
Financial Management Analyst & Administrator (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAMay 12, 2018
There are always challenges at Stanford University. It is a workplace for those determined to work hard and conscientiously. There are rewards for hard work, like promotion to steps higher.

In my experience, management has been mindful of good performance and allows a good worker to attain further use and development of skills and talent.

Again, in my experience, the hardest part of the job was working on several projects with equally demanding deadlines. This is one example of the challenges I mentioned.
Pros
Merit increases
Cons
For exempt, no pay for overtime - just time off which is hard to have when work is heavy.
Inefficient management
Clinical Research Specialist (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 14, 2018
Working at Stanford provides good work-life balance and descent benefits; the management team is dysfunctional which results in extra stress from time to time.
Telecommunications Operator (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 30, 2018
Love Stanford University. Great benefits and room for advancements . They always have fun events to attend , not sure about other departments but mine the management allowed us to attend during work hours
Slow Paced, Great Benefits
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJuly 30, 2018
The hardest part of the job was being acknowledged for your hard work, management does not take the time to praise its employees. Otherwise, great place to work for with great benefits!
Finance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 25, 2018
Lower Pay, Great Benefits, Highly Political, Close-Minded Management, Intelligent Workforce, Understaffed, Workplace Flexibility, Free CalTrain use, Medium Satisfaction
Many different work environments
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CADecember 2, 2018
At Stanford as a staff member you might work in one job your entire tenure or you might transfer for promotion or new experiences. At each position you can find various work environments. Not all departments and offices operate the same. For instance you might work in an academic department that is in a particular science and the administration is flexible and friendly. Or you might find that faculty is difficult and does not want to adhere to all of the red tape. Perhaps you will work in an operations office that is not directly connected to academics. There you might find strict rules but fun activities. You might be in a physically tight space or in a wide open office. Stanford is a huge operation with much variety in the workspace.
Pros
Nice campus
Cons
Staff salaries a bit low
University is great; HR and your boss will be a joke unless you're faculty
Research coordinator (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMay 25, 2018
Stanford University provides great benefits, but this is not an industry like setting. They will always side with senior leadership or faculty. HR is a total joke; they post what the jobs pay then lie and say they don't have to follow it. This is a great place to work if you land the right job or are a new college student. But it sucks if you are in the middle but not management; be prepared to be bullied.
Pros
paid education and vacation times; lots of on campus activities and classes
Cons
management loves to bully and anyone whose a suck up will do well
Well managed and fun place to collabort
Assistant Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 11, 2018
I loved working at Stanford. Most days were very busy. I have learned so much in these three month. For example, how Stanford financial system works where money comes from, which organization gets the most funds. If one organization runs out of funds where can they get more. what does different PTA mean. It well managed business. I love the culture of Stanford it is very collaborative. The hardest part of my job was chasing students to get all the documents together to reconcile the end of month financial statements. Most enjoyable part was that working with people who been there for ten, fifteen and thirty years. If I didn't understand any thing they helped me out and explained how Stanford system works. I loved working at Stanford Law School. Would love to work with those amazing people again.
Stanford a great place to work
Director (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 29, 2018
Stanford is a great place to work. It offers a work-life balance, flexible hours, remote work, and excellent benefits. It offers tuition reimbursement for children.
Pros
Excellent benefits, tuition reimbursements
Productive and fun
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 21, 2018
Vastly interesting with high variety. Great autonomy and job development and learning possibilities. Management is great and good and helping employees develop career.
Stanford
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJuly 17, 2018
I was at Stanford for 1 year at SLAC unit. I found that I did not have the work life balance I needed. The pay was low to average.
However, the benefits were good.
Benefits
Cons
Work life balance
Events Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAJune 18, 2018
Stanford is a great place to work and room for advancement. They also offer school tuition and health benefits. There is a lot of room for advancement and various jobs available.
Pros
Full-time, family oriented, health benefits
Cons
Too far if living in the central valley
RA experience
Research Assistant, Department of Sociology (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 18, 2018
• Investigated the mobility and inter-organizational relationships of the Chinese bureaucracy
• Applied statistical models and parsed large social network datasets to extrapolate patterns of career movement among different government offices using R
• Designed and implemented algorithms to calculate and visualize social network structures and dynamics
Stanford University
Creative Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAMarch 26, 2018
Stanford University is a great place to work and develop your professional career. The academic environment keeps things face paced and interesting. The employee benefits range from employer matched retirement plans, to BeWell incentives for healthy lifestyle choices.
Pros
stability, scheduling flexibility, great work environment, many employee benefits
Cons
traffic, career advancement