Stanford University
Happiness rating is 74 out of 100

Stanford University Employee Reviews

Great benefits but hard to figure out next steps of career if in an Administrative role. I would recommend anyone to work here, but it really depends on the role that you choose.
You have the opportunity to work with a very diverse set of people - from a Nobel laurate to a former Secretary of the Treasury, to hear RBG speak. There are employees that have been with Stanford for 40+ years. It is Stanford, so making it complex is a given. Sometimes they lose sight of the objective.
Pros
Tuition grant after 5 years for your children.
Very flexible work hours and great work culture. Great management and respect for their employees. So many benefits such as leave days, life insurance etc
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Overtime
While Stanford offers really good benefits, they are not competitive in silicon valley when it comes to pay. You will need a spouse that works for a tech firm in order to afford to live anywhere within driving distance unless you are senior faculty or an exec.
Benefits
Cons
Pay, culture
Just about every one of my coworkers enjoys being at Stanford. The atmosphere is light-hearted and jokes are common. There is a ton of cross-departmental collaboration and upper management stays up to date with the latest technological advancements.
Pros
Great work environment, plethora of perks, beautiful place to work
Cons
Not challenging enough, room for advancement and growth is highly dependent on position.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Had bad experiences for nearly two years and left. Very male dominated and unfair with promotions and raises. Very disorganized management. Really bad corporate culture. Little cooperation, much backstabbing.
Official response from Stanford University
January 29, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We take your concerns very seriously and regret to hear that you’ve had a negative experience.If you are willing to provide more information, please contact University Human Resources, Employee & Labor Relations at stanfordelr@stanford.edu.
My co-workers were awesome. Management was unacceptable and I was baffled as to how they remained in their positions as leaders. I was told to make myself look busy rather than to ask if people in my department needed help once I completed my work each day.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
I wish I had heard what others have told me of the many facts I faced here: microaggression and impunity of midlevel managers, overworked entry level employees for average pay, and rife office politics. If the leadership does not take good care of its employees and get off their high horse, the high turn over will derail the university's reputation.
Pros
working around Intelligent people
Cons
elitism, microaggression, and rife office politics
Associate Dean permitted to continually belittle and denegrate employees. Calling outside of work hours at unreasonable times of the day, including middle of the night and weekends. Expects 24/7 availability; well over 40 hours a week, even for hourly workers without compensation. Leadership has been aware of the situation for years and allows poor treatment to continue. Human Resources aware and unable to improve the situation due to lack of cooperation from leadership.
Cons
hourly workers expected to work overtime without pay, 12 -14 hours workday the norm
Official response from Stanford University
January 29, 2021
I had a good time working for a few months here. There was some miscommunications at time with management but for the most part they were understanding and flexible.
Overall, I had a great expirence working at Stanford. I would recommend the Stanford dining hall job to any one is highschool or college that is a hard worker. Management actually cares about your schedule and will keep you on a consistent schedule. There are different rolls to fulfill at the dining hall.
Pros
wonderful work staff
Cons
short breaks
Great for your CV, get to meet great people. Many oportunities for new projects and lots of flexibility in the selecting projects. You need a lot of self motivation to make the best of your time here, but a huge potential for self growth. Multicultural environment with whatbeems like 50% of Europeans (especially Italians and Germans). Work environment is a bit suffocating and uptight. Most people are talking themselves up. People are work and fitness obsessed which is both good and bad.
Cons
Only SLAC cafe as food option
They let us work on our own way, flexible and reliable. Love working there and scope for internal moves. Overall awesome place to work. Casual dress and lots of perks.
Pros
Team get together, leave, benefits and work life balance
Cons
A lots of really smart people work here, professors, staff, graduate students and researchers. You will never be the smartest person in the room but you will be respected.
Pros
Great Campus lots of open green space
Cons
Bicycle mayhem at the beginning of each school year, I'm talking seeing 3 or 4 bike accidents a day for a week or two.
Worked as a postdoc there for 4 years. In terms of school or department, the organization is good and support is great. But if you are going to work in a lab, you also need to make sure you and the research and the PI are mutual fits. However, there are many places you can seek help.
Stanford University, officially Leland Stanford Junior University, is a private research university in Stanford, California. Stanford is ranked among the top five universities in the world in major education publications.
Would manage the residents to ensure that there were no problems in the dorm. also worked with university staff where there were problems. Also planned events.
Management wanted everything emailed. Questions, conversations just had. Nobody was on the same page and they were reluctant to train you. Though they were expecting you to just dive right in. Not safe when dealing with patients. Everything should be very clearly understood. I just figured Stanford would have it more together
Decent worklife balance but that depends on the department or team you are in. Great benefit packages, salary is at par or below par, but you get job security. There are additional days off during winter closure.
Pros
Benefits, Vacation days
Cons
Salary, bonus
Best place to work. Terrific culture, people, and benefits. Everyone I know looks forward to coming into work. Many times people get together on campus even on their day off just to help.
Cons
Going to work is always a good things.My coworkers were pleasant and respectful.trying to complete a procedure in a short time was sometimes complicated.
Pros
Giving support to the staff
Cons
Not having supply's needed for a procedure