Stanley Black & Decker Employee Reviews

Found 881 reviews matching the search See all 1,236 reviews
fast paced production
Lable table coordinator (production coordinator) (Current Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCJanuary 15, 2019
a typical day is come in go to the start up meeting find out the goal for that day . leave start up meeitng log into my computers check to c whats ready to b picked. If the work is not printed out i print in out and hand to associates to be picked and while they are picking that wave im checking to get the next wave of lable orders ready to give out . while im make sure the guy that is running the merge has enough primary lanes to run the work threw the system. i would say the hardest part of the job is when its another department is behind now its putting your area behind .
Cons
only one 20 min break
Forklift
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Rialto, CAJanuary 15, 2019
Loading trucks stacking pallets clock in and out management and workers meet in the morning stretch talk the work plan for the day hardest part of the day is the biggest load
Flexible hours/development track
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAJanuary 14, 2019
I learned a lot in my role with SBD, I was apart of a sales and marketing development program. The reason I left was because they told me opportunity for advancement was in abundance and I am just not seeing that as the case.
Worked in maintenance
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCJanuary 12, 2019
I fixed pallets with hammer nails and new boards. Pallets that couldn't be fixed went on to empty truck. Used forklift to get empty pallets of mod levels. Great learning experience from the company.
Pros
30 minute lunch
Cons
15 minute breaks.
Failed Expirement
iOS Technical Lead (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 11, 2019
SBD started the Digital Accelerator as a startup inside the company to lead them into a digital future. After three years, they have lost most of their best people because those people were on projects taken over by the other business units and subsequently cancelled.
Strong management, but little life work balance
Manager in Finance (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTJanuary 9, 2019
(Corporate headquarters at SBD -Stanley Black and Decker overview only):

While SBD utilizes an HR computer application ("OPR") to manage and monitor individual performance, the system does not work well, and to many employees it is viewed cynically. The department heads approach their responsibilities to their subordinates significantly different from department to department - some good, some not, driving the irregularities. Overall, the office atmosphere is generally pretty somber,

Stanley has had many on-again off-again hiring and travel freezes and layoffs over the last 10 years, it is sometimes difficult to ignore your own employment security. Keeps you on your toes!

I would not recommend the Corporate environment for young people out of college, for the reasons outlined above. I am assuming that a more lively corporate culture would be a better fit for most new grads.

That said, most employees do have leeway to reach their objectives, allowing individual initiative which in my opinion helps drives productivity at SBD.

And SBD overall is a well managed company from the top, with a continued focus on growth and stockholder value. For that reason alone it may be attractive to join SBD. After all, they do make cool products.
Pros
Competitive salary and options at the right management level.
Cons
Longevity is not a common term at SBD Corporate.
fast pace hard work
PICKER / PACKER (Former Employee) –  Mira Loma, CAJanuary 9, 2019
face pace hard work hot areas cold areas lots of lifting must be able to stand for long periods short breaks hardest part of the job is loading the truck alone machines tend to break down alot
Pros
nice people
Cons
hard work
Nice people
Forklift Operator/Order Puller (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCJanuary 8, 2019
I worked here a long time ago. And all I remember, is I had to leave because I needed more money. I wish I could say more but to be honest, I don't know
Could be a great place to work
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, OHJanuary 7, 2019
Lack of experience in Management, great pay thou, company lacks communication to employees, excessive gossip, training is not great, go thru temp service then not knowing when u would be hired. do your job and go home..
Pros
Pay, hours
Cons
I worked really hard. Didn't really get a chance to show all my potential. It was temp.
Packer/Driller (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 7, 2019
I have nothing to say but. Give everyone an equal chance. Maybe you will find who can do what. I know I worked really hard and sometimes being new scared the old and I'm that lady
Pros
They have alot of racism. It could be better.
Cons
I liked the job
A lot of gray area with management. Often left with more questions than answers. Hiring freezes that are kept a secret.
Talent Management (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJanuary 6, 2019
I was proud to work here until I realized how management was driven by numbers vs. people and their development. When it comes down to it, regardless of how many training courses, diversity and inclusion initiatives, or added benefits they promote, (most remote workers in the field, commercial side, pretty much anyone outside of Corporate or GTS Headquarters do not get these benefits), SBD has an incredibly superficial way of pretending that they care about their employees.

From a business standpoint, I understand that financial success and stability is necessary, however, I also understand that employees are what make a company successful, and if treated unfairly and undervalued, they will not be motivated or dedicated to helping the company achieve their goals.

SBD strings along applicants who are accepted for a job, and go through the entire interview process, just to tell them that they aren't sure when they can start (over half a year later), because there is a hiring freeze that is not acknowledged as an actual hiring freeze. They interview applicants for jobs that are posted, but somewhere along the line were not given financial approval and are no longer available. Managers keep their employees in a gray area where their daily responsibilities are negatively impacted, because no one is able to make appropriate business decisions or given the authority to do so.

I could provide countless examples about SBD's lack of structure, concern for employee's development, misleading reasons for letting go of employees, inability to get up to speed from a technological
  more... administrative standpoint, etc.

What is truly unfortunate is that I have met some of the best people there. They were hard working, incredibly motivated, and pushed each other on the team to outperform and challenge themselves on a daily basis. Those few people made everything else bearable while at work, but don't expect them to be true friends outside of work.
Pros
You can say you worked for a Fortune 500 company.
Cons
Pay, internal promotions, care for employees, everything else.
There's a no pressure working environment.
Machine Operator/Assembler (Current Employee) –  Clinton Township, MIJanuary 5, 2019
Great place to work. The workers are awesome. The benefits are good. The Plant Manager is a great person as well as the Upper managers. The open-door policy is taken seriously.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
communication
Great place to work time went by quick and paid weekly
Lumper/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAJanuary 4, 2019
Worked at black and Decker great play to work but most people work their through a temp agency for night shift nothing wrong with that.It was my first job and I loved it worked went by quick and once a month they feed you great lunches and do great stuff from time to time, to make work fun.agreat co workers as well. Over I do recommend to work here time goes by quick feels like you are in an out.
Pros
Free lunch here and there, free gifts such as tools and tool bags, OT here and there
Not what I expected
Tech (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTJanuary 3, 2019
The management in customer services was unreal . There current management team needs to treat there all reps with more respectful and valuable. They are not fit for there positions and cannot handle there own work load with ease and grace. There are a pure cry for help in more ways than one.
Good school, fast pace, costumer focused
Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 2, 2019
Keep doing the good stuff. Most of Coworkers are very proffesional and friendly. Company really looks for high tech information systems. Professional products have extensive tests to warrant product performance.
Pros
Lots of places for growing opportunities.
Cons
Life work balance
Fast paced but enjoyable
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Jackson, TNJanuary 1, 2019
Some days were much more stressful than others, but almost everyone got along well. For the amount of stress we were under, most people were relatively respectful and calm.
Pros
Good pay and plenty of voluntary overtime
Cons
last minute work schedule changes
good place to work
machinist (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTJanuary 1, 2019
any breakdown throughout the factory replacing bearings shafts spindles, making new parts on lathes or bridgeports,a lot of my jobs are repetitive but sometimes, its a different breakdown. when i figure it out by myself or with engineers, i get a good feeling of self satisfaction,Management. i have a very good boss, but he is not very mechanically inclined,so most of the time i have to figure things out myself. the work place culture is very good as i work with very good operators and skilled machinists , so i fell very safe and comfortable doing my job.the hardest part of the job is trying to troubleshoot the machine, but most breakdowns are repeats, but sometimes i have to figure it out myself,which takes time, but once the job is complete i feel good about myself .the most enjoyable part of the job, which is rewarding is figuring the machine breakdown myself .plus i build my confidence up and get the job done quicker the next time .
Pros
very clean envoiroment, well established company
Cons
its a union shop which i dont care for
Pretty good Mass production shop
CNC Machinist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 31, 2018
I have to say your fellow employee’s seemed really nice. I like the people who worked here. They are good down to earth folks. The work is not so much. You will run 1000’s and 1000’s of the same parts. Many parts per hour. This is a job where it is very dirty and you will run large orders of parts. I was always worried about catching some kind of diseases because of the filth of the shop walls and floors. The building was old and moldy. I guess this depends on what area you work in. Very loud because of all the hammer type forging machine. Very hot because of the heat ovens and hot forgings. Pretty good benefits.
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Long hard hours of lots of production.
I wouldn't work here again
Assembler/Production (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNDecember 26, 2018
Fair place to work management doesn't care about you they make a good show of it but when if gets down to it they don't was going to be fulltime fired
Pros
great co workers at least on first shift
Cons
management does not care was going to be fulltime but was fired instead just after christmas too
Productive and a good place to work at and they treat there employees good
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCDecember 23, 2018
Do as they say. It’s a good easy job that pays the bills. They take care of they employees and understands personal problems just as you work on time.
Pros
They buy lunch sometimes
Cons
No cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stanley Black & Decker. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight